Mercedes E Class 220 Estate

JCloughie

Does anyone tow with an E class 220 estate? I am considering buying this one.

http://www. mikegrimsbycars. co. uk/used-cars/mercedes-benz-e-class-e220-cdi-avantgarde-5dr-gloucester-201407246067193

I will be towing a mark 1 Valencia 1600kg

Looking forward to peoples views, yes I have looked at the review section.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I tow with an e250 cdi. Around 45bhp more than the 220 engine.

We tow 1800kg's (mam) of Single axle hobby. As long as the rear tyre are suitable, then it's a good tow.

We had problems with tyres. We changed from Dunlop to Uniroyal and the van was all over the road. Changed them back to Dublops in less than 2000 miles!

Al.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/100421-review-e250cdi-estate/

My recent review should help.

Car is very susceptible to loading requirements and genuinely, you MUST stick with the oem issues otherwise expect stability issues when towing. I didn't and nearly paid the consequences.

I got my E250 Estate just over 2 years ago. I have Goodyear Efficient grip tyres on it. Towing a 1630Kg caravan is a doddle. Plenty od power to set off up those AutoRoute slip roads and be doing the legal limit as you get to the acceleration lane.

Cruises nicely and with the very comfortable seats (once you have them adjusted to your requirements) 350 miles a day is easy.

Solo I get between 42 and 53 mpg depending on thee type of roads. Towing, between 24 - 31 depending on the roads and wind direction!

I chose the E250 over the E220 as it has more potential power to pull thee caravan with. Other than that, I don't believe there is any difference in any of the running gear or weights. .

The estate is more practical for my purposes than the saloon and again has a weight benefit in that it is quite a bit heavier than the saloon.

Tony

Autotrail Tracker FB motorhome on Fiat Ducato chassis

I got my E250 Estate just over 2 years ago. I have Goodyear Efficient grip tyres on it. Towing a 1630Kg caravan is a doddle. Plenty od power to set off up those AutoRoute slip roads and be doing the legal limit as you get to the acceleration lane.

Cruises nicely and with the very comfortable seats (once you have them adjusted to your requirements) 350 miles a day is easy.

Solo I get between 42 and 53 mpg depending on thee type of roads. Towing, between 24 - 31 depending on the roads and wind direction!

I chose the E250 over the E220 as it has more potential power to pull thee caravan with. Other than that, I don't believe there is any difference in any of the running gear or weights. .

The estate is more practical for my purposes than the saloon and again has a weight benefit in that it is quite a bit heavier than the saloon.

Tony

I also believe the estate has self levelling suspension. A great boon.

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I also believe the estate has self levelling suspension. A great boon.

That was great, but didn't stop it becoming stable whilst towing

Hi, complete Newbie here. I've just bought an ex demo E350 estate as our first tow car as I thought they were meant to be good tow cars. I'm nervous about towing, but having just read the review from Milkymarsh I'm really concerned. Do I need to make sure that the original brand of tyres are fitted?

Thanks

Hi, complete Newbie here. I've just bought an ex demo E350 estate as our first tow car as I thought they were meant to be good tow cars. I'm nervous about towing, but having just read the review from Milkymarsh I'm really concerned. Do I need to make sure that the original brand of tyres are fitted?

Thanks

Yes. You really do!

If it's ex demo, then should still be on original tyres

Mine came with 255/35/18 Dunlop sport Max GT MO on the rear. I fancied Uniroayal Rainsport 3's as they got great reviews. Wow! I almost lost the 'van on the 1st outing with new tyres!

Got home after our summer holls, changed to my winter wheels on the rear only (245/45/17 pirellie sottoZero) and the van was stable again.

Swiftly bought another set of Dunlops and fitted. Can back to normal again!

Never experienced tyres making this much difference! Mines the estate sport with 18" rims and Milk's was an SE with 16" and we both experiences the same issues.

Al.

Yes the self levelling suspension is fitted. The first winter it froze and the car was undriveable. The garage picked it up and replaced the bellows on both sides under warranty. A known problem with 2011 cars but they don't fix it until it goes wrong!

I can. t say if it effects the handling whilst towing but all I can say is that it tows very well. As previously said, I am on Goodyears as originally fitted.

Autotrail Tracker FB motorhome on Fiat Ducato chassis

I have posted this before but I know some do not believe me. Some premium quality tyres are poor for towing as they have supple side walls which flex. This causes sideways movement at the rear of the car which is then exaggerated by the van.

Michelin are aware of this, but the supple walls make them good solo tyres.

Strange thing is this seems more pronounced on some cars.

John

Yes. You really do!

If it's ex demo, then should still be on original tyres

Mine came with 255/35/18 Dunlop sport Max GT MO on the rear. I fancied Uniroayal Rainsport 3's as they got great reviews. Wow! I almost lost the 'van on the 1st outing with new tyres!

Got home after our summer holls, changed to my winter wheels on the rear only (245/45/17 pirellie sottoZero) and the van was stable again.

Swiftly bought another set of Dunlops and fitted. Can back to normal again!

Never experienced tyres making this much difference! Mines the estate sport with 18" rims and Milk's was an SE with 16" and we both experiences the same issues.

Nearly lost mine going past a lorry. Felt like the whole back of the car shifted massively whilst on a dead straight motorway. . Been towing for 5yrs and never had an issue with any vehicle apart from the time when I switched brands away from oem tyres with this vehicle (car was on 17 inch wheels and had continentals fitted to it originally).

Alicesdad - its really important how you load the car with no heavy weights near the rear of the boot (must be on the axle), as any deviation away from this will also cause sway on van as well. It doesn't take much either!

Thanks

Don't be tempted away to a cheaper brand. If you have conti's on the car from new (mine did), you won't get much more than 12k out a set of rears. Just stick with them!

After my moment with the car, it had to go, as lost confidence with it. Had it 14mths in the end, and have gone the whole hog now by buying a Touareg (not towed with it yet). If that isn't stable, I'm going to pack it all in!!

I have posted this before but I know some do not believe me. Some premium quality tyres are poor for towing as they have supple side walls which flex. This causes sideways movement at the rear of the car which is then exaggerated by the van.

Michelin are aware of this, but the supple walls make them good solo tyres.

Strange thing is this seems more pronounced on some cars.

John

This is where low profiles can be very good for towing. My current 5 series has 35 and 30 profile on front and rear and car is rock solid laterally, tyres are also XL loading so again stiffer side walls

I would think any car (like thsee Mercs)may benefit from having tyres that have these XL loading as the sidewalls are reinforced?

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

This is where low profiles can be very good for towing. My current 5 series has 35 and 30 profile on front and rear and car is rock solid laterally, tyres are also XL loading so again stiffer side walls

I would think any car (like thsee Mercs)may benefit from having tyres that have these XL loading as the sidewalls are reinforced?

Nope, believe it or not, it's not the answer i'm afraid - the 35 profile 18" 97 XL Uniroyal's were still, HORRENDOUS. Where as the 35 Profile, 94 XL Dunlops are great!

Al.

Mine were XL tyres! Didn't stop that happening. ...

Was seriously considering replacing our 10yr old Sorento with either a C or E class Merc Estate; but this thread has turned me off completely :( . .......looks like replacement will probably be a Hyundai Santa Fe.

As for Milkymarsh only getting 12K out of a set of rear tyres. .......OUCH!!!!! Our Sorento got 50k out of its original Hankooks and 40k out of the replacement Wranglers, have just fitted a set of Koumo's and still a good tow (perhaps even better when solo!).

Was seriously considering replacing our 10yr old Sorento with either a C or E class Merc Estate; but this thread has turned me off completely :( . .......looks like replacement will probably be a Hyundai Santa Fe.

As for Milkymarsh only getting 12K out of a set of rear tyres. .......OUCH!!!!! Our Sorento got 50k out of its original Hankooks and 40k out of the replacement Wranglers, have just fitted a set of Koumo's and still a good tow (perhaps even better when solo!).

ahh, but, 12k on rears (think i did about 16-17k) and over 40mpg overall for me - the cost you'll spend on tyres you'll save on Fuel and Tax over the Sorento! - Had a '56 plate XE from new for 3. 5 years - they are chalk and cheese.

Al.

ahh, but, 12k on rears (think i did about 16-17k) and over 40mpg overall for me - the cost you'll spend on tyres you'll save on Fuel and Tax over the Sorento! - Had a '56 plate XE from new for 3. 5 years - they are chalk and cheese.

Thanks, but the general vagueness of tow and those tyre mileages has put me off completely! So Hyundai or possibly a Kuga for the replacement.

I cannot believe some of the things I am reading on this thread!! So,to add a little balance, my car has just had its 2nd yr service, it has covered 21356 miles most of that towing, been to Spain and back 5 times, the service sheet says the rear tyres have 6mm tread the front 5. 5mm, they are the original tyres, Continental contacts!

Average mpg towing 31

It is far and away the best towcar I have ever had

I can only assume its the manner of driving in some cases!

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

204 bhp and 500nm of torque, going to the rear wheels, resulting in only 1mm ware, over 20,000 miles, meaning over 100,000 miles on them before worn to 2mm?!

Fronts should ware slower than the rear - afterall, they only brake and steer. - Mine was serviced on the 25th September, at Merc Newcastle - it reads 5. 0mm across the whole tyre for the fronts. - rears read 7mm as they have just been replaced.

Dare i say, not possible to do this mileage, on rear tyres.

ps. Excpeting to see just over 4,000 miles on my Fireblade's rear tyre this time! - Good going that! :)

Edited by ADG

Al.

204 bhp and 500nm of torque, going to the rear wheels, resulting in only 1mm ware, over 20,000 miles, meaning over 100,000 miles on them before worn to 2mm?!

Fronts should ware slower than the rear - afterall, they only brake and steer. - Mine was serviced on the 25th September, at Merc Newcastle - it reads 5. 0mm across the whole tyre for the fronts. - rears read 7mm as they have just been replaced.

Dare i say, not possible to do this mileage, on rear tyres.

New tyres are generally 8mm, therefore 2 mm wear. Nevertheless Phil does really well.

John

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I always have the wheels swapped front to back at each service, otherwise, I can assure you what I say is the gospel truth.

I think a lot depends on your manner of driving as I said previously.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I have been on this forum for a whle now without posting sorry :blush: I have a bit of experience with E Class Mercedes CDi's, and would agree with the previous posts that the cars are very succeptable to tyre changes, my first E Class was a W211(2008)E280 Cdi sport which I had for approx 150,000 miles, this would need replacement rear tyres at approx 17,000 miles, my 2011 W212 E250cdi(avantgarde) is about every 16,000 miles(total mileage to date 111,000), however this car towing with a heavy van is a revelation(I have in the past towed with sorrentos's etc) I find it is very stable at all times. ...However I must add that changing from the original continentals, while not feeling dangerous the tow was knowwhere near as stable,i have every year changed to winter tyres and they seem to be the worst examples of the reduction in stability. I would add that in no way would this put me off buying another(I am looking now in fact) these cars are very reliable in my experience and towing I can average 24mpg. Solo average is 43mpg.

Kenny/Phil - Do you think yours are more stable as you are towing at the absolute limit of the car (1800kg etc) and the fact that they are TA's. Mine is a large single axle. We did tow in the summer in France and the car was food, but I had it absolutely loaded up to the gunnels plus 4 bikes on the roof of the car. Seems to love the smooth Tarmac. ...

It was a 2013 (new shape) e250 cdi se (maybe the rear suspension was softer than the amg sport?

FWIW - I used to tow the same van with a smax and even a santa fe and never had any issues stability wise.

Economy wise always used to get 38-43 solo (depends on whether back roads or urban), and towing typically 27mpg

I'm not trying to put anyone off here at all, just share my experiences of driving the merc - good or bad

Edited by milkymarsh

Milkymarsh, I have had the twin axle for a year now, prior to that it was a much lighter 2009 pagaent Bretagne, I had no problems with the tow, our summer holiday in France is always fully loaded. I had extreme trepidation changing the van due to the weights etc, however i have now covered about 4000 miles towing and am very please with it, I am looking at the e class again(this would be my 5th mercedes after 2 c270cdi's) however it might be an M Class next.

I can only say that it tows my van effortlessly, no hint of instability, I too load the back of the car up, awnings etc the dog has the boot area and I have never experienced any problems, I would say that I am a big believer in self levelling suspension and twin axled vans, a great combination.

Although my van is plated at 1900kg in reality I tow it at just under 1800kg.

Phil.