Electric Camper Van

Marks

Hillside Leisure in Derby has produced the first full electric campervan, will this signal the beginning of the end of free power at caravan sites. Just a thought, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Free power :unsure:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Interesting question.

I don't know whether the normal 16amp EHU would be man enough to recharge the camper, but assuming it is and you could get a suitable adapter, how would the site know that you're doing it.

The long term solution would be to meter every pitch, which is common on the continent, but the installation costs would be prohibitive. Alternatively, charge a supplement for all electric campervans.

Land Rover is now back towing.

I can't see the problem,you pay for the supply how you use it is up to you whether you use it to heat an awning or charge a vehicle what is the difference?

knarf

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I can't see the problem,you pay for the supply how you use it is up to you whether you use it to heat an awning or charge a vehicle what is the difference?

knarf

Because when the inconsiderates start using vast amounts of electricity, instead of being reasonable, prices wil go up, or site will become metered.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Pay as you go meters! Swipe your card on arrival to activate the supply, then swipe it again when youleave.

Ern

"Because when the inconsiderates start using vast amounts of electricity, instead of being reasonable, prices wil go up, or site will become metered."

I agree, but why is this a specific issue with electric campervans?

The same applies to all users whether they charge a vehicle or use it to heat a caravan.

Knarf

"Because when the inconsiderates start using vast amounts of electricity, instead of being reasonable, prices wil go up, or site will become metered."

I agree, but why is this a specific issue with electric campervans?

The same applies to all users whether they charge a vehicle or use it to heat a caravan.

Knarf

. ..but it's not OR it's BOTH. So you are saying with unmetered supply, we should all pay for the vehicle to roam around the country?

Sam :beardy:

"...but it's not OR it's BOTH. So you are saying with unmetered supply, we should all pay for the vehicle to roam around the country?"

It can't be both on a16A supply it can only be one or the other.

No I don't say we should all pay, but equally i object to the growing trend among caravanners to use the supply to heat awnings etc on unmetered supplies.

If you read the link you will see that it is suggested that sites ie C/c make a supplementary charge to use the supply recharge the vehicles.

knarf

Edited by KNARF

Or they could pop into asda for their shopping and charge for free

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 2 weeks later...

106 mile range for a campervan? A typical holiday would have to be planned almost entirely around recharge points!

16a = 8hrs to charge . I think you could live it touring 100 mls each day and charging over night.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The daily consumption of electricity from the pitch would probably be 50 Kwh. The site would go broke!

Ern