Whats Considered The Best ?

Ace caravanner

Hi

We have been caravanning for about 20 yrs, our current caravan is a Ace Award Daystar bought new in Oct 2007. It’s a great caravan with twin fixed beds, which was unusual back then when we bought it. The model wasn't very popular then as it was discontinued a year or 2 later. We have had no trouble with it at all except a few minor adjustments and repairs; it’s been serviced every year without fail and is bone dry with no damp or leaks.

We are off to the Motorhome and Caravan show at the NEC next week, and are wondering what is considered the best or state of the art caravan manufacturer at the moment, for a higher end caravan should we consider changing. We would be looking again for a fixed twin with end washroom on a single axle. Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

After reading about all the disasters with new vans stick to what you've got.

Terry.

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

Lunar Clubman SB - Had ours for 18 months had front windows changed under w'tee but other than that no problems, tows well, and very comfortable.

I too will be at the show, happy to meet and tell you more - PM me

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

For state of the art, the latest Swift models have to be it, they have no wood in the construction at all, it is all the latest materials and construction style, many will now argue, but that is the answer to what you asked, in the real world, you and many others, will have differing ideas.

There is no "best" as we all have our own idea of what is best.

Edited by Marks

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

We also asked the same question and most people say Coachman are the best. Yes even these have trouble as you will read on this forum but after looking into it quite deeply we took the plunge. I can't give you any hands on experience yet though as we haven't picked it up yet.

Terry.

+1

Land Rover is now back towing.

Terry.

+1

+2

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

I would also stick with what you have if its a as good as you say and it fits what you want.

Inos caravans (Fifth wheel company) are considered by many be high end and certainly their price matches that image

Hymer also top spec and quality

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Can of worms about to be opened here. ..

If you see a new 'van at the show that you like, buy that one.

They all (can) have problems; personally after my 2008 Swift Conqueror, i won't buy another swift, but thats just me.

Al.

I think that you will get as many different answers as you get replies. We ordered a new Coachman recently which have always had a good reputation. We think just choose the layout and design you like as it is a gamble whatever you choose. Our last three caravans, all different makes, have all been new and no trouble so maybe we are heading for a fall.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

I would stick with what you have, but then our caravan is nearly 10 years old and ticks all the boxes for what we want from a caravan.

John.

I would stick with what you have, but then our caravan is nearly 10 years old and ticks all the boxes for what we want from a caravan.

John.

Got to agree if it aint broke why change it . You could end up spending thousands on a load of headaches as they all seem to have problems (got the T shirt ) . i think today with any caravan be grateful if it is dry .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I agree with the "keep the van" crowd, we have had ours over 12 years and it's still everything we want,

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

We also asked the same question and most people say Coachman are the best. Yes even these have trouble as you will read on this forum but after looking into it quite deeply we took the plunge. I can't give you any hands on experience yet though as we haven't picked it up yet.

What makes Coachman the best, you will find plenty of people who think they are the worst, people will always say what they have is the best, to support their own decision to buy something, the best is what you think is best, not your mate or some random bloke on a forum. I have a Swift, I think it's great, but is it the best, no, but it suits me, would I recommend you buy one, only if I knew exactly what you wanted, then I would suggest you have a look, but no one can say, this is the best, because something will never suit everyone.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Our 'van is 5 years old and we've had it from new. This year we have replaced the loose fit carpets and had the upholstery re-stuffed. New tyres this week too. As the 'van is dry as a bone, we are not changing it. No way!

Ern

W have a 2007 Ace Award Morningstar, its dry as a bone, in good nik and a`int going anywhere for a few years yet

I agree with all the above.

Just buy what you like as in my opinion all manufacturers can provide a bad caravan reading the posts on this site.

Hope you find a caravan you like and it's problem free.

What makes Coachman the best, you will find plenty of people who think they are the worst, people will always say what they have is the best, to support their own decision to buy something, the best is what you think is best, not your mate or some random bloke on a forum. I have a Swift, I think it's great, but is it the best, no, but it suits me, would I recommend you buy one, only if I knew exactly what you wanted, then I would suggest you have a look, but no one can say, this is the best, because something will never suit everyone.

I have to agree with the sentiment behind this. ....

Move along the fence Marks--- make room for me to sit there too

:)

Trevor.

If money isn't a problem have a look at airstream or Roma Caravans

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I have read many threads on the forums regarding troubles with brand new vans. It amazes me in this day and age with all the modern machinery and technology we have available not to mention materials why a company cannot build a quality caravan that's dry and has no problems.

Is it the materials, the manufacturing process's or just dam lazy workmanship???

It strikes me if I ever had the money I wouldn't touch a new van. Our's is now 14 years old and in great condition still and I love her. ....ooh did I just say that :o

SteveMLewis

Usually drinking cider somewhere B)

If you ask the question of eight members of this forum, you will get nine different answers.

If of course you are a fan of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, then the answers 42

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

IMO, it doesn't matter how the manufacturers construct their 'vans, it's all down to how the joins/joints are sealed. Only takes one small area where the glue, mastic or whatever isn't applied correctly and you'll have a leaky 'van.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

IMO, it doesn't matter how the manufacturers construct their 'vans, it's all down to how the joins/joints are sealed. Only takes one small area where the glue, mastic or whatever isn't applied correctly and you'll have a leaky 'van.

But that surely is down to bad/sloppy/lazy workmanship.

SteveMLewis

Usually drinking cider somewhere B)