Avondale Front End Lifting

chris&christine

Hi

Had our caravan two years,the front is starting to lift. Is this repairable or time to get a new caravan. ? The front is lifting, found some wrotton wood,either side,if i replace this,how do i bolt the caravan too it ?

Many thanks

Chris

Welcome to the forum! Can you be more specific regarding where the problem is?

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Am I right in assuming that the bodywork is detaching from the chassis? If so, my guess is that you'll see a gap at the base of the front wall inside where it meets the flooring, and there may also be further stressing inside along the front "window sill"

640-6_Front_Wall_Stress.jpg

Unfortunately the floor is not as well secured to the wall as it is to the chassis, and this kind of damage can result if the caravan has been entered without first lowering the rear corner steadies, when attached to the towcar. It can also result from driving hard over speed humps when the caravan is well laden.

Remedial work really needs to be carried out at a caravan dealers, as it is likely that some of the wall timbers will be split and require replacement.

From personal experience, I would recommend replacing the caravan.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Thanks Gordon

For your help, i,m hoping if possible to somehow repair the caravan,as i only use it for work. But i do drive all over the uk.

I,ve got ratchetes holding the front together for now. But was hoping if i replace the rotton wood,eitherside,and bolt the floor to the chassic. What am i fighting here ? the floor or the sides gordon?

Many thanks

Chris

It is

What am i fighting here ? the floor or the sides gordon?

It is separation of the floor from the wall caused by flexing of the floor with the chassis, and the wall being rigid on the vertical plane.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

ive had the same with my work one i fixed a timber under and above the floor using plenty foaming glue then screwed through the bottom rail into the new timbers angling the screws like a dovetail this has worked a treat then any gaps squirted expanding foam which also bonds once gone off didnt want to spend loads of time on repairs its an old van but will get some more time from it with the basic repairs done

Likewise, our 640/6 suffered from a weak floor and the subsequent need to fix. Wooden batten fixed internally across the front, bolted through to metal spreader plates on the underside. No problems since. I've also made up additional outriggers which are currently awaiting galvanising. Nothing to loose spending £30 on a fix!