Hub Nuts ..

Disco Kid

Another bit of useless, mindless, caravan manufacture.

Why is the hub so designed that you have to dismantle it to check the brakes . . come to that, why do the brakes need checking so often when they hardly get used . . if the tyres can last 7 years and hardly show any wear, how come the brakes are suspect . . and if they are, why not have removable drums, as on a car . .

Its just cost me £40 including VAT for the 'one shot' nuts on my TA Coachman (and that is on top of the service . .

And there was nothing wrong with the brakes anyway.

Rant over, but still fuming

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

I think you have been overcharged for four one-shots.

Only £4. 99 here :-

http://www. caravan-spare-parts. co. uk/product/alko-one-shot-nuts-36mm/

Our mobile chap includes them in the price of £180 for servicing a TA.

Ian

The hub nuts are included in my service.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Same here; the nuts have always been included in the price. £40 is way over an acceptable price.

Hub Nut.jpg

Even with minimal use the brakes should still be checked regularly, and with higher mileages the brake dust will have to be cleared out.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Ah, the old hub nut question.

To carry out a service in accordance with the NCC/caravan manufacturers recommendations you must remove the brake drums.

In most cases this requires the replacement of the hub nut. As it is a known and fixed cost it should be calculated into the service cost not added to it.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

Just had my van serviced this week by a NCC mobile engineer. Cost me £20 for a pair of one shot nuts !! He told me he used quality Alko ones not cheap nasty ones. .... Ya okey.

£15 for a new breakaway cable did take the biscuit tho I thought !!!!

Phil.

Just had my van serviced this week by a NCC mobile engineer. Cost me £20 for a pair of one shot nuts !! He told me he used quality Alko ones not cheap nasty ones. .... Ya okey.

Phil.

Rip off.

Al-Ko hub nuts are at the very most £4 each and should be included in the service price.

Breakaway cables are £6 at the most.

Edited by Brecon

That's what I thought when I was presented with the bill. ...

So I saved a good few quid on a NCC approved mobile service as apposed to taking it to my local dealer, but still ended up paying the same for the nuts as they charge £10 each too.

Phil.

That's what I thought when I was presented with the bill. ...

So I saved a good few quid on a NCC approved mobile service as apposed to taking it to my local dealer, but still ended up paying the same for the nuts as they charge £10 each too.

Phil.

If he was an Approved Workshop his prices should have been quoted BEFORE he was employed. ....I hope you complained as he has a strict procedure to follow!

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

BTW. .... the wording you may be looking for is. ...

" The Approved Workshop Scheme is a joint enterprise between the NCC (National Caravan Council), The Caravan Club and The Camping and Caravanning Club. It is the benchmark for motorhome and touring caravan servicing.

For more info please have a look at the website. ..... http://www. approvedworkshops. co. uk/approved-touring-caravan-motorhome-servicing

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

BTW. .... the wording you may be looking for is. ...

" The Approved Workshop Scheme is a joint enterprise between the NCC (National Caravan Council), The Caravan Club and The Camping and Caravanning Club. It is the benchmark for motorhome and touring caravan servicing.

For more info please have a look at the website. ..... http://www. approvedworkshops. co. uk/approved-touring-caravan-motorhome-servicing

So did I do right by using him, or should I have used my next door neighbour who has been qualified for as long as he's had his flyers printed up !!! His full service including parts is only £85. ..

Phil.

Phil.

Feel I should change my post: Just re read the bill, it was only £10 for the pair of nuts, not each.

Phil.