hi all, has anyone else noted the past saving, by going Sunday and coming back Friday, has disappeared?

tried a few times with Caravan C, and found no difference for sun/sun, or any other day.

also seems cheaper without camping cheques now.

cheers rodders B)

skoda superb hatch 1. 6 tdi towing bailey ranger 380

Interested, but not noticed yet. I always use DFDS and will be checking it out at the NEC next week

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

There won't be 'a code' this year. DFDS are unfortunately not at the Caravan Show this year. The Caravan Club have announced (through a member of staff) that they will be offering a 25% discount on DFDS crossings (details not specified) for the duration of the Caravan Show, but I think you'll have to be member to take advantage of this. However, it may just be that DFDS make a similar offer on their own website during the show.

There won't be 'a code' this year. DFDS are unfortunately not at the Caravan Show this year. The Caravan Club have announced (through a member of staff) that they will be offering a 25% discount on DFDS crossings (details not specified) for the duration of the Caravan Show, but I think you'll have to be member to take advantage of this. However, it may just be that DFDS make a similar offer on their own website during the show.

. ..... let's hope so Val . ... as we're not members of CC . .... perhaps the C & CC will be doing something similar . ....

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

I have done the DFDS Newcastle to Ijmuiden for the past few years but I think they are not giving free caravan prices for July and August. Does this 25% discount apply to the Newcastle route and if so when is the Caravan show when the discount will be applied?

Just thought I would check some crossings and prices out with DFDS and Caravan Club.

Outward from Dunkirk and return on Thurs 23 July at 12 noon.

Return Wednesday 26th August at 12 noon

Caravan Club price £196

DFDS price £78

What a difference!!!

And that is without any discount code at all.

Those APPEAR to be very good prices. Just two questions - do you really mean outwards from Dunkirk and are you sure the second is for a car and caravan. DFDS prices today for your dates are £109 outwards and £129 return for car and caravan on those dates (from Dover to Dunkirk) and nearest times. The Caravan Club is £214. 00 so not much saving! With just a car, and different timings you can get a return crossing for £70 with DFDS on the 18. 00 sailings, or later

This is a post I made on another forum about my experience this morning:

DFDS were cheaper for a solo car, yesterday, than the Caravan Club, but we think we may have to take our second caravan to France for our first holiday next year - complications with an essential service date, and other things. ............... so we're still looking for a cheap deal. With DFDS the sailings we wanted with the caravan were £99. 00 outwards and £109 return!

As I said in another post somewhere, gone are the days of the £38 return crossing for a car, or £58 for car and caravan in low season, and just £20 more for high season! And those previous NEC offers were for any date, any sailing, and with free amendments!

I wonder just how much trade DFDS will lose - we've gone back to P and O for our last two crossings, solo car, and both have been cheaper and quicker than DFDS.

Edit: Just checked the Caravan Club website, and the fare for our dates, for car and caravan would be £167. 40, with DFDS still £109 and £99. The Caravan Club is is cheaper than their weekend price so must include the 25% off offer. For just a car DFDS want £88. 00 and the Caravan Club £70. 20. With the EBIRTH code DFDS would be £70. 20 for the car, but isn't available with a caravan.

P and O Ferries fares are not available yet! I'm not sure of their marketing strategy - they say they're not announcing next years fares until the end of October. Perhaps they'll judge at that time how many people have booked with DFDS and either make a stunningly cheap offer or price their ferries even higher! Any gamblers out there willing to take the risk of waiting until the end of October for P and O prices?

Edited by ValA

For us, sadly, these ferry prices will definitely put us off going to the continent this coming year. Add this to the price of diesel and it's all getting a bit too much. Which is sad as we love our French/Dutch holidays. But we also love our English hols too :)

Thanks for all the info though.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

BUT even at the prices I quoted prices are not that much different from a 1999 France magazine P and O advert, for a car and caravan crossing at £99 each way!

BUT even at the prices I quoted prices are not that much different from a 1999 France magazine P and O advert, for a car and caravan crossing at £99 each way!

Yes ! I think we've just got used to the cheaper ferries over the last few years. I do remember the ferries being expensive in the 80's and 90's and that was solo. It was a major expense then.

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Thanks Val for your detailed post. We have previously just booked one way and then looked at the weather and booked the day before coming back and always make it a mid week crossing. We have had good deals and that has included going by Eurotunnel. I think we may gamble and wait as we could go at at any time over three days and at any hour.

It is interesting though the increase in prices from those excellent offers we have had.

For us, sadly, these ferry prices will definitely put us off going to the continent this coming year. Add this to the price of diesel and it's all getting a bit too much. Which is sad as we love our French/Dutch holidays. But we also love our English hols too :)

Thanks for all the info though.

I think you regret it when you are paying Uk prices for diesel (I have just returned from a 2500 mile trip and paid an average £1. 15 litre, it varied from £0. 95 in Luxembourge to the £1. 30 on a German motorway and I paid an average of £16 night for sites which would get you a muddy field in the UK.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Thanks Val for your detailed post. We have previously just booked one way and then looked at the weather and booked the day before coming back and always make it a mid week crossing. We have had good deals and that has included going by Eurotunnel. I think we may gamble and wait as we could go at at any time over three days and at any hour.

It is interesting though the increase in prices from those excellent offers we have had.

had a look at hul/rottedam, yesterday

sat night sailings in nov/ret dec, worked out at £158. 60, plus cheques,= £261. 45

health pemitting will be booking in early nov.

worth a look if rotterdam way is for you.

cheers rodders B)

skoda superb hatch 1. 6 tdi towing bailey ranger 380

It's a shame, DFDS has slowly increase a couple of years ago we booked a couple of return crossing with our caravan for £80 return each, then this year the same crossings have increased to £150.