Annual Scramble

Halohodge

I see from the Caravan Club magazine that next years bookings will become live in December, never had the need for this mad scramble but have been trying to get into Chatsworth without any success, always full at the weekend and as I want to stay for seven days that is not helpful. I don't want to go their just because a lot go, it's an interesting place with the lovely house within walking distance and Iwas hoping for the autumn colours on the trees. Booking up in December for a visit next October seems a bit extreme but there doesn't seem at the moment any choice.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

I was wondering when this annual chestnut would start off!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I find it so annoying that sites are booked well in advance that I refuse to be harried into doing the same. Mine and my wifes shift pattern along with events mean that we often don't know until a month or two in advance when we can get away and often CC sites are booked or part booked on the times we want.

The other side of the coin is that I have discovered a fair few commercial sites which have been gems. ..I wouldn't have found them otherwise so the CC club sites are becoming less of a first choice for me now.

It is annoying, though, the beauty of CC sites is the fact that you know it will be of a certain standard but to be fair to the CC unless the block booking of multiple sites is curtailed, it will continue to happen.

Yes it's predictable as conkers, so is this difficulty.

It's one of the reasons we use CLs mostly!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Can't remember the last time we stayed on a CC site. They are too expensive and there are plenty of good commercial sites out there.

Can't remember the last time we stayed on a CC site. They are too expensive and there are plenty of good commercial sites out there.

As yet we haven't found a commercial site that comes near the quality of CC sites unless we pay quite a lot more than the Club charges. We do use them when we can't get into a Cllub site because the weekends are fully booked. However, we haven't had a problem booking on the less popular cub sites this year.

Pity there aren't a few more £12 a night sites with no facilities. We don't ever use the showers or toilets.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Pity there aren't a few more £12 a night sites with no facilities. We don't ever use the showers or toilets.

+1 We just want electricity.

It's been like this for the 20 years I've been a member, though. We looked around the Chatsworth CC site once but have never been able to get a pitch there.

The weekend 'hoggers' preventing week-long stays are a pain but that's how the system works and we have to live with it --- or vote with our feet.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

It has been known that phoning the site directly a few weeks and sometimes days before, that the wardens can allocate pitches freed up by cancellations. a friend of mine got in at Rowntree Park York by phoning when the online booking site said full. Worth a try. ........Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Yep, I shall be booking up for about 20+ sites come December. Not decided which areas to tour yet though. Probably similar pattern to this year; 2 trips 4 or 5 weeks and one of 6 weeks plus 10 days over Christmas.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Tried a few times to get into Chatsworth in the past, ended up doing a monday to Friday, it was really quiet, but since the CC sites are always full in the nice spots, a second look at commercial sites has uncovered some beauties. I ended up letting my CC membership lapse, what's the point.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Yep, I shall be booking up for about 20+ sites come December. Not decided which areas to tour yet though. Probably similar pattern to this year; 2 trips 4 or 5 weeks and one of 6 weeks plus 10 days over Christmas.

Couldn't be bothered to organise like that. Rather make life full of surprises! :)

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I wish I could plan my year so far in advance, I am retired but planning that far ahead is not possible with baby sitting duties at half term etc.

As a matter of interest how many of those sites you blocked booked do you visit each year or do you cancel when your plans change as long as not within the 72 hour period.

The weekend 'hoggers' preventing week-long stays are a pain but that's how the system works and we have to live with it --- or vote with our feet.

Do you mean people who work Monday to Friday?

I notice when a site is booked up. At the weekend it's usually the Sunday that is invariably full, why is that? Edited by Halohodge

I notice when a site is booked up. At the weekend it's usually the Sunday that is invariably full, why is that?

The sites that I look at it is usually the Saturday - except where there is a bank holiday monday

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I notice when a site is booked up. At the weekend it's usually the Sunday that is invariably full, why is that?

I've not noticed that and can't explain why you have. Is that what you meant by weekend hoggers then? Those who book on Sundays thus taking a pitch away from a weekend user and a week day user at the same time

Probably. .. those local enough to the sites that block others who are trying to get a 2 or 3 week touring holiday to 2/3/4 sites in an area distant from where they live (and work)... if you can't get a weekend booking on any site you can't do the trip at all !!

As I said its been the same problem for all the 20 years I've caravanned.

PS don't all rush at once but Chatsworth currently has a lone pitch available for the entire weekend of 17th-19th October!

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I got so fed up. ......I went self employed and go when we like, well sort of as still have kids in school, but I do know of people that make loads of bookings just to 'be sure' which is madness.

+1 We just want electricity.

It's been like this for the 20 years I've been a member, though. We looked around the Chatsworth CC site once but have never been able to get a pitch there.

Well having just looked the first three months of next year ( as far as it would let me look) Chatsworth has availability for every day there are no times at all that are not available. Now is you chance.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Well having just looked the first three months of next year ( as far as it would let me look) Chatsworth has availability for every day there are no times at all that are not available. Now is you chance.

I was under the impression that the site does't come live until December, then it will fill up, hopefully me included.

I was under the impression that the site does't come live until December, then it will fill up, hopefully me included.

Bill Lord did not say that he had booked. He said he had looked, as have I and found that the information is that there are apparent vacancies from 2 January 2015 until the end of March.

I suspect that what I have seen is not the true availability for the first three months, as the pitches are not available for booking until they are released for the Annual Scramble.

Bill Lord did not say that he had booked. He said he had looked, as have I and found that the information is that there are apparent vacancies from 2 January 2015 until the end of March.

I suspect that what I have seen is not the true availability for the first three months, as the pitches are not available for booking until they are released for the Annual Scramble.

you are correct, can't see the point of looking at next years sites and not been able to book, all that says is that the site will be available next year, I think we know that.

Chatsworth is open all year so all dates up to the end of March are booksble now as are all pitches at sites that have availability before a date towards. The end of March which will be the general opening time.

you are correct, can't see the point of looking at next years sites and not been able to book, all that says is that the site will be available next year, I think we know that.

If you care to check you will finds that all the dates are booksble now and have been for a long time. what is not booksble are any dates after the beginning of the general opening date towards the end of March.

You suspect wrongly, they are all booksble now and this applies to all sites open in the winter.

Edited by Bill Lord

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

I wish I could plan my year so far in advance, I am retired but planning that far ahead is not possible with baby sitting duties at half term etc.

As a matter of interest how many of those sites you blocked booked do you visit each year or do you cancel when your plans change as long as not within the 72 hour period.

Hi Halolodge. Missed your post.

I cancel none. I may make the odd change here or there. For example we were booked on Strathclyde earlier this tear as part of a 6 week trip. We were booked for 6 nights but decided that, instead of travelling home to near Chester from there we would leave 2 days earlier and book for 4 nights at Kendal thereby extending the trip by a couple of nights. I needed to be back in time for a hospital appointment. I have booked well ahead for the last 4 years (usually in December) and have made a few alterations but no cancellations and none of the alterations were likely to affect anyone as they were mainly weekdays and we travel outside school holidays in the main.

The reason we now book so far ahead is that I would otherwise book April/May during start of February so booking a couple of months earlier suits me fine. When we come back after our first week we often only have 3 weeks to plan and book the next as well as sorting out the garden and any other chores. And when I am able to decide the routes I want I may as well book them all and have done.

Generally the bookings follow a route for a few trips of 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes a little more) staying generally 5 nights on each site.

Alan