Can't Wait For The Pick Up

egbert

We collect our 1st caravan - a Lunar Zenith 2007 - in 2 weeks. We are really excited about our first trip away for half term and have been reading about caravan weights and how to pack it etc.

We will be taking 2 kids and 1 pregnant dog, so it's an adventure for us all. I have so many questions though I don't know where to begin.

What do you think is the most important thing to take - other than wine ;) ?

Hubby is checking out the technical details like tow bars and gas cylinders etc. Im responsible for packing it. And - I have decided - decoration.

Does revamping the interior lower the value - if it's not original anymore? I've seen how some people have painted the interiors but they seem to be much older vans?

I was also looking at wrapping it - but I read somewhere on here that that can lower the value too?

Anyway - adventures await! Well - learning to tow first - and then adventures await!

Welcome and what is the model and year of your van?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Welcome and enjoy - I'm sure you will.

:D:D

Welcome and what is the model and year of your van?

errr . ...... Lunar Zenith 2007 by any chance

Have you g0t a SPACSAVERS near you Wispy?? :D:D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

May I remind everyone to FULLY read the OP's post BEFORE posting inane comments :) :) :) :) :) :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We coolest our 1st caravan - a Lunar Zenith 2007 - in 2 weeks. We are really excited about our first trip away for half term and have been reading about caravan weights and how to pack it etc.

We will be taking 2 kids and 1 pregnant dog, so it's an adventure for us all. I have so many questions though I don't know where to begin.

What do you think is the most important thing to take - other than wine ;) ?

Hubby is checking out the technical details like tow bars and gas cylinders etc. Im responsible for packing it. And - I have decided - decoration.

Does revamping the interior lower the value - if it's not original anymore? I've seen how some people have painted the interiors but they seem to be much older vans?

I was also looking at wrapping it - but I read somewhere on here that that can lower the value too?

Anyway - adventures await! Well - learning to tow first - and then adventures await!

Any changes will alter the value especially painting it inside as doing that may make it very difficult to sell. Very few of us will modify a caravan in any way.

Have you sorted out insurance for it? What sort of tow car do you have and do you have a B or a B+E licence as the MTPLM for the caravan is about 1350kg? Enjoy your new caravan and hopefully we can all help with your questions.

Welcome. ... Dont forget the beer/bottle opener!

Don't bother with a wrap for the outside, or doing too much with the inside. It's too time consuming and expensive. After a couple of trips you will have a list of stuff you wish to buy, and a list of places you want to visit. Use the money for this instead!

We are really excited about our first trip away for half term and have been reading about caravan weights and how to pack it etc.

Welcome, this is a great place for advice and help.

Are you looking to go far for your first trip? If so, and if you've time, maybe try a weekend away beforehand, at a site close to home - to make sure everything works, plus you can probably survive a weekend if you forget something, and if its really essential you can go home to collect it.

On site you'll generally find other caravanners and site wardens helpful - just ask. We've all done that first trip at some time!

Enjoy.

LOL - I am always rush reading posts and replying to the wrong question Wispy!

We can't get the van any earlier so our first trip will be a whole 5 days away. We are going to Wiltshire - about 2. 5 hours drive. The van centre where we are buying it are setting it up for us when we pick it up so they can demonstrate everything and showing us it all works, so fingers crossed it will be ok.

Who do you all use for insurance? Any recommendations?

We have a Santa Fe so perfect for towing this van, and licenses are ok as we are both apparently old! License issued before 1997 :);)

I've read that we should take blocks of wood with us to level the van - Im a little confused as the van has legs for stabilising?

Stabilising yes, levelling no.

You 'may' need blocks the get the van level across the axle, front to back is achieved using the jockey wheel. Have fun :lol:

We use the Camping & Caravanning Club for our insurance. Have found them the cheapest for the two we've had.

We didn't have any blocks of wood for our first van but now have off cuts of decking that we take with us and they have been a godsend particularly on sloping sites.

Wouldn't be inclined to decorate the inside but soft furnishings such as cushions & throws can change the feel of the interior.

Take a cool box with your chilled food in it then put the ice packs from it in the fridge when you get to site to help bring the temperature down quicker. Ideal for having a cold beer or chilled wine when you get there too.

Most of all relax and enjoy. You'll find after your first trip away that 1. You'll be itching to get away again and 2. You'll have a list of things you'll want to get for the van or take with you next time.

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

LOL - I am always rush reading posts and replying to the wrong question Wispy!

We can't get the van any earlier so our first trip will be a whole 5 days away. We are going to Wiltshire - about 2. 5 hours drive. The van centre where we are buying it are setting it up for us when we pick it up so they can demonstrate everything and showing us it all works, so fingers crossed it will be ok.

Who do you all use for insurance? Any recommendations?

We have a Santa Fe so perfect for towing this van, and licenses are ok as we are both apparently old! License issued before 1997 :);)

I've read that we should take blocks of wood with us to level the van - Im a little confused as the van has legs for stabilising?

Excellent. It seems that you are well prepared. For levelling we use one of these. No faffing around with levelling blocks. Are you perhaps buying from Chichester Caravans? As the weather is starting to get cool, it may be wise to get some sort of insulation jacket for the aquaroll. Also as the ground gets soft the steadies tend to sink in so pads would be recommended. For the car which has to have towing mirrors consider the Milenco Grand Aero as they are the best in my opinion.

We have been caravanning for 30 years but still manage to forget the odd thing despite having a preprepared list so don't be surprised if you forget something. The dealer demo can be quite fast and remembering it all later not exactly easy so take a pen and paper or better still a tablet that has voice to text option. The first outing is always exciting and also a learning curve but so long as the basics are ok it will be fine. Packing the van can help stability by keeping all the heavy items low down and close to the axle if possible. We travel with light food items in some top lockers but tins and jars always go in a box on the floor. With a heavy car like yours there should be few performance or stability issues so have a great time and enjoy the experience.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Hi most important items are aqau rolls for water, waste water tank, hook up cable torch. Then things like kettle pots and pans bedding. Towels my brother just came down for a week with no towels,luckly he was staying in the garden in our van. Spirit level,really one of the most important things as van has to be level. happy caravaning. :)

Welcome to new horizons, with having kids remember to take plenty of loo roll and toilet additive. Its suprising how much a child can produce when you're the one making sure you have enough of everything.

Also check you have a spare wheel and a jack, familiarise yourself with where how to change a wheel on the van, hopfully you never have to. Also have a check around the rig once hooked up and check all doors and lockers are locked shut and that all the lights work.

Happy travels.

Also have a check around the rig once hooked up and check all doors and lockers are locked shut and that all the lights work.

Happy travels.

I've been caravanning for 6 months and naturally I now know it all. .. you'll love it.

Seriously, if I had to give you just one piece of advice it would be to draw up a checklist of sequential actions of how to hitch up to the car. It's so easy to be distracted or to forget something important such as releasing the van handbrake or forgetting to clip on the break-away cable. Screw up this and your holiday could be ruined in moments. ..

Get your list laminated and stick to it every time! Remember, even experienced pilots go through a strict pre-flight check list with their First Officer, it is ticked and signed for before every take off.

In fact, does anyone else have such a list of comprehensive hitching instructions?

Edited by AHawley