Sealants And Mastics

barrychas

I recently read somewhere that sealants on a van start to harden off after about 7 years or so and should be inspected and rectified if required.

My question to the group is how correct is this statement and has anyone come across this problem and got it sorted by a dealer or even done it themselves with what reccomended materials. .. Cheers.

As i've always have older caravans as long as they're not sodden with damp I usually just reseal over the top of every rail with Seamseal CV for caravans and boats, also used in the past Soudall.

If taking the rails off, which I only did with my current caravan as it was a project, I used 32mm mastic tape with a beading of Seamseal CV ofer the top, NOT under the rail as if you get a bit water seeping through a tiny pinhole you may be unaware of it will run out from under the rail whereas if it's all sealed up there's only one place for it to go and that's into the caravan.

Some may not agree with me but only remove the rails if you really have to as you can actually cause leaks, plus you need something to screw the rail into when putting it back on and if you have damp wood you have to go stripping it all out and replacing wood even if it is just for a section whereas once you seal wherever the waters getting in it will dry out gradually unless it's rotten.

Lastly, if you do use the mastic tape ALWAYS seal over with a bead of sealant as I found out it's like a sponge and holds onto the water! Had a few drips when I squeezed a bit of mine that was showing! It's good for sticking and holding the rail in place but not best for being water tight!

Compass Shadow 1988

Hi mechs,

Our vans latest service has revealed a small low level damp patch. In fact, it was in the same place at its last service late 2012 so I'm not sure if it's been fixed or is still airing out. Anyway, the service engineer said it could do with a couple of inches of sealant replacing on the edge of the roof/front panel joint and was happy for me to do and that would solve the problem. Just use a polyurethane sealant not silicone.

How hard is this stuff to find !!!

Screwfix has many sealants, non of which say are polyurethane based. Found one from the Everbuild range called Puraflex 40, but again, none of the Everbuild stockists around me stock it !!! Ebay to the rescue once again I think.

Sorry for the long post ;-)

Phil.

Soudal Fixall Classic is a good sealant. Make sure you clean the area to be sealed with methylated spirits before applying.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Thanks for the advice gents . ..as always these forums are a godsend.

I recently read somewhere that sealants on a van start to harden off after about 7 years or so and should be inspected and rectified if required.

My question to the group is how correct is this statement and has anyone come across this problem and got it sorted by a dealer or even done it themselves with what reccomended materials. .. Cheers.

I would say that what you read is completly wrong, I recently replaced a skylight on a 10 year old van and the sealant was still very much soft and very sticky.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

That's interesting. ...spouse it all depends on how much exposure to sunlight and temperature the van gets. I wonder if the fact that my van is in storage under cover for a good percentage of the year helps mastics retain their elasticity. Van is now 6 years old and is at present perfectly dry . ...fingers crossed.

Ebay's always to the rescue for me too!

Compass Shadow 1988

I suggest that Sikaflex 512 is the industry recommended sealant when removing and replacing sealing strips (certainly recommended many times on this forum and by my service engineer of 20 years in the trade) . It's a sealant/adhesive so resists the shakes and rattles of a caravan on the road. The motor trade also use it to fix the ABS (and similar) panels on a many cars.

eg - here and many other places:

https://www. google. co. uk/shopping/product/11484471451511214034?q=sikaflex+caravan&client=firefox-a&hs=k6&rls=org. mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&biw=1280&bih=705&bav=on. 2,or. r_qf.&bvm=bv. 76943099,d. d2s&tch=1&ech=1&psi=RIA3VPnRCcLlaIDcgvgJ. 1412923461810. 5&ei=oIE3VL6nGpDgaMiQgIAP&ved=0CI0BEKYrMAM

http://www. sealantsandtoolsdirect. co. uk/silicones_and_sealants/automotive_and_caravan_sealants/sika_sikaflex_512_caravan_sealant_and_adhesive_white_P27203. html?gclid=CMqf05C-ocECFenHtAodrmUAmQ

Also available at most caravan parts centres/showrooms.

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)