Vw Passat Cc

willis7864

Normally Passats have got a good reputation for towing but make sure you stay within the %85 rule.

Kerb weight: 1466 kg's

85% of Kerb weight: 1246. 1 kgs

So that should covers a lot of smaller 2 birth caravans.

Hope this info helps you.

Has anybody got a vw passat cc. what are they like and what do they tow like.

can you please state what van you tow. weight if van if you know it thanks andrew

As said previously find your cars kerbweight and look for a van that when fully loaded weighs at least 10% - 15% below that figure .

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

My previous Passat experience with estate versions has been very pleasing and I've no reason to believe that the CC would be any different. They are a very stable towcar with ample power and are a comfortable long distance cruiser.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

There isn't an 85% rule, however, there is an 85% guideline for inexperienced / novice towers.

Al.

As above, Passat is a brilliant towcar (on my second). I'm towing at around 96%, no issues with available power etc. Current outfit is probably the most stable I've had.

I have had rear spring assistors fitted (secondary spring type) as it could get quite low at the back when fully laden / full tank of fuel etc, but obviously not a problem if you get self leveling.

It does it say it has a max towing of 1800kg which will cover most caravans. is this right.

Yes, max braked trailer weight is, 1800kg, well it is for mine anyway. I wouldn't want to tow that weight with it though. .....too much stress on the mechanicals. .....especially if you have a manual (dual mass flywheel).

85% guide is based on kerbweight (1457kg), so 1800kg would be well over a 100% match

It does it say it has a max towing of 1800kg which will cover most caravans. is this right.

Yes and no. The towing figures given are for a trailer and not specifically for a caravan. There is a big difference between towing a builders trailer full of bricks with a low centre of gravity and high sided caravan of the same weight, which is subject to side winds from passing vehicles.

The guidance given by the Caravan Club, is that for an inexperienced tower, the caravan actual weight should be 85% or less than the kerbweight of the tow vehicle. Based on your information, this would be 85% of 1475kg, which is 1254kg. Your actual kerbweight may be higher as it depends on what model of the CC you have. The VW brochure for the current model gives 1550kg for the 2. 0 diesel manual as an example. This guidance is not a legal requirement and you can go higher but most people would want to stay below 100%.

The other consideration is the type of driving licence you have. If you passed your test after 1 Jan 1997, you will have a B licence, which limits you to a total gross weight of 3500kg. i. e. the sum of the plated max weights of the car and caravan added together. If you want to tow higher weights, then you need a B+E licence, which involves taking a towing test.

Brian

Thanks brian. im an experienced tower and I also have a class one licence which I use to do for a living. not any more mine. so I wouldnt class myself as a new tower/inexperanced.

but I havent bought the car yet. and only tow around 6 to 10 tines a year max. dont want to buy it and find out that I can only tow 1200kg. as that be no good to me. I fancy the cc as reviews give very mph for a every day car. which us the reason I want it. I need a nice car(got a bmw x5 at the minbut expensive on fuel for every day driving) doing as much mpg as poss every day. not worried out mpg towing as I dont tow that much.

Normally Passats have got a good reputation for towing but make sure you stay within the %85 rule.

Kerb weight: 1466 kg's

85% of Kerb weight: 1246. 1 kgs

So that should covers a lot of smaller 2 birth caravans.

Hope this info helps you.

Not a rule but a recommendation for a starting point for someone new to towing. The recommendation also goes on to say that up to 100% is acceptable.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Not a rule but a recommendation for a starting point for someone new to towing. The recommendation also goes on to say that up to 100% is acceptable.

I would agree with what you said but the original sender to this forum did not say what experience they had of towing a caravan.

Thanks brian. im an experienced tower and I also have a class one licence which I use to do for a living. not any more mine. so I wouldnt class myself as a new tower/inexperanced.

but I havent bought the car yet. and only tow around 6 to 10 tines a year max. dont want to buy it and find out that I can only tow 1200kg. as that be no good to me. I fancy the cc as reviews give very mph for a every day car. which us the reason I want it. I need a nice car(got a bmw x5 at the minbut expensive on fuel for every day driving) doing as much mpg as poss every day. not worried out mpg towing as I dont tow that much.

I thought he did.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Passat Saloon 2. 0TDi which is exactly the same car as the CC apart from the body shape,

My kerbweight is 1495kg (V5 Mass in service) and the caravans mtplm is 1460kg although I usually tow loaded to around 1400kg.

On the weighbridge the Passat is 1540kg unladen with a near full tank of fuel.

I have 28 years experience with towing caravans so taking loading very seriously, nothing heavy in upper lockers, nothing hanging in the wardrobes, heavy items over the axle and nose weight measured before every trip.

The Passat is a good tow car, it's stable and the 2. 0TDi engine provides enough power and torque. But anyone who tells you they don't know the van is on the back is not telling the truth. Towing at 95-100% requires careful loading, care on the road, skill and always awareness of other road users.

For myself I would be OK towing a caravan with up to a mtplm of 1500kg with a CC 2. 0TDi but I wouldn't go over that limit and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone new to caravanning doing that even if they had experience towing other trailers.

I've towed industrial trailers, builders trailers and car transporters but all handle very differently to a long, high sided caravan with a higher center of gravity and inherent instability.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.