Fitting A Dashcam

Durbanite

After one or two misses recently with being almost a head on, we are considering purchasing a dashcam which is confusing enough as we want one that gives a decent picture, has GPS etc and a reasonable price. Blackvue is far too expensive for us.

However the issue is fitting them into the vehicles. We would like it to be discreet and behind the rear view mirror, but the issue is the 12v supply to the camera as don't like anything dangling across my vision.

Secondly if we choose a 2ch rear view camera set up, how on earth would you get a 12v supply to it? Also if your rear window is heavily tinted, can the camera record accurately enough even in bright daylight? We would be fitting one in the Jeep and the other in the 1996 Corolla. Driving the Corolla seems to attract near misses!

More than likely we would only go for the front facing camera due to cost factor. Advice on fitting and also a possible choice of camera would be welcome.

I use a blackvue (I may have one for sale - a DR300G if you are interested).

I run the cable through the roof lining and down the A-pillar, then connect to a switch and a live 12v feed in the fuse box. you could just run a cable through a fuse from the main battery. you just need to find a suitable area to come through the engine bay firewall into the cabion. My blackvue is permanently wired and uses very little power when ignition is switched off as it enter "Park" mode so connecting to a permanent feed isn't a problem.

I have mine behind the rear view mirror so I can't be accused of viewing a screen. Mind you the screen switches off after a couple of mins. I take the long lead supplied up by the mirror mounting across behind the passenger sun visor, down the roof support, into the glove box, out the otherside to the cigarette lighter.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

This is a possible alternative http://www. sygic. com/en/press-release?id=50 a cheap gps dashcam option if you already own a compatible phone.

Its available on Android, Apple and Window phones now.

Edited by Steve Drew

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

I have just purchased a new dash cam after my old one gave up the ghost. Paid a bit more on this occasion but do not regret it because of the extra quality and features. Wired by fixing cable around top/side of windscreen using self adhesive clips and hiding camera behind mirror. This camera has GPS, g force detection and with the accompanying software will track your route on a map. If an incident happens the file is saved automatically (not yet tried) due to g force detection. Picture quality is excellent and instructions are good plus mine came with a 32Gb micro SD card and camera bag. Google Nextbase 420g pro and have a look. I will not go on the road without my little witness on the lookout.

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Another Blackvue, professionally installed, hardwired to the 12v auxiliary circuit. When ignition is switched off power source to Camera is switched off too. Camera mounted behind the rearview mirror, video quality is superb.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Verona + 2013 Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto

I feel another lecture coming this way ;)

It is not illegal to use, only to publish (Germany only)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

I have just purchased a new dash cam after my old one gave up the ghost. Paid a bit more on this occasion but do not regret it because of the extra quality and features. Wired by fixing cable around top/side of windscreen using self adhesive clips and hiding camera behind mirror. This camera has GPS, g force detection and with the accompanying software will track your route on a map. If an incident happens the file is saved automatically (not yet tried) due to g force detection. Picture quality is excellent and instructions are good plus mine came with a 32Gb micro SD card and camera bag. Google Nextbase 420g pro and have a look. I will not go on the road without my little witness on the lookout.

Which camera?

To Gumdrop,

The camera is a Nextbase 402g professional. I got mine from 3wisemonkeys but also available on Amazon. Think the former have no stock at present. Price about £140 including p&p and in my case a free case and SD card. As I said Google it and read reviews. Hope I have not infringed any advertising protocol here!!!

PS also available at Halfords

Edited by Oldgreymatters

I use a blackvue (I may have one for sale - a DR300G if you are interested).

I run the cable through the roof lining and down the A-pillar, then connect to a switch and a live 12v feed in the fuse box. you could just run a cable through a fuse from the main battery. you just need to find a suitable area to come through the engine bay firewall into the cabion. My blackvue is permanently wired and uses very little power when ignition is switched off as it enter "Park" mode so connecting to a permanent feed isn't a problem.

Hi discodunc if you have a dash cam for sale i would be interested in buying if you would like to email Me on laserudd@hotmail. com with details and price we may be able to do a deal

regards Les

To Gumdrop,

The camera is a Nextbase 402g professional. I got mine from 3wisemonkeys but also available on Amazon. Think the former have no stock at present. Price about £140 including p&p and in my case a free case and SD card. As I said Google it and read reviews. Hope I have not infringed any advertising protocol here!!!

PS also available at Halfords

Thank you ;)

What about this one

http://www. autoexpress. co. uk/accessories-tyres/85715/transcend-drivepro-200

I don't have one of these, mine was a £35 from China, but it is quite good apart from not really being able to read registrations without a bit of picture adjustment.

It is mounted behind the rear view mirror and the cable is long enough to tuck behind the roof lining, down the A pilar and under the glove box and plug into the 12v socket near the gear stick.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

What about this one

http://www. autoexpress. co. uk/accessories-tyres/85715/transcend-drivepro-200

I don't have one of these, mine was a £35 from China, but it is quite good apart from not really being able to read registrations without a bit of picture adjustment.

It is mounted behind the rear view mirror and the cable is long enough to tuck behind the roof lining, down the A pilar and under the glove box and plug into the 12v socket near the gear stick.

That's the one I have. Good bit of kit and around £80 from Amazon. Downside no Gps. Upside has wireless so you can watch it on your phone or tablet

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

IMHO that law should be applicable in this country and other EU states! Anyway all, thanks for the heads up on fitting as that was a concern as don't like hanging wires or messing about with the upholstery in the vehicle.

Edited by DeltaTIowner

I feel another lecture coming this way ;)

It is not illegal to use, only to publish (Germany only)

H.

Or pass on to your insurance or police .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Just bought two from Makro today, went on sale today and nearly sold out by midday. Used it on the way home, pretty good video. It has IR as well but haven't had the time to use it yet. £20 for cam and £5 for 8gig SD Card

• 2 weeks later...

A few months ago I bought one of these from Ebay. .Didn't expect much at the price and prepared to bin it if necessary.

However I got quite a surprise, it works perfectly and the images are good, full HD

The wide angle lens is 120 degrees which isn't too bad,

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/2-5-HD-Car-Vehicle-Dash-Dashboard-Camera-IR-DVR-Cam-CCTV-Night-Vision-SmartCam-/221578254152?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item339717d748

Am now thinking of looking at this one with a 170 degree wide angle lens to use in my other car

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/281369561600?_trksid=p2060778. m1438. l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It wasn't me. .The big lads did it and ran away

There's always Techmoan's site for reviews on many dash cams http://www. techmoan. com/

Ok, he stopped testing dashcams recently but still some good ideas and pointers.

We find the G1W does all we want ;) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

A few months ago I bought one of these from Ebay. .Didn't expect much at the price and prepared to bin it if necessary.

However I got quite a surprise, it works perfectly and the images are good, full HD

The wide angle lens is 120 degrees which isn't too bad,

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/2-5-HD-Car-Vehicle-Dash-Dashboard-Camera-IR-DVR-Cam-CCTV-Night-Vision-SmartCam-/221578254152?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item339717d748

Am now thinking of looking at this one with a 170 degree wide angle lens to use in my other car

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/281369561600?_trksid=p2060778. m1438. l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I bought one off Ebay the same for under a tenner that works fine . Cost me more for the SD card than the camera.

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Followed a small car down A168 yesterday, he was doing sub-40mph, and had a camera fitted rear window with yellow hazard markers around it. ..had another in his front window. ...........as he sat in middle of road not allowing anyone to pass I wonder if someone had already 'taken it out of him'?

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Still very confusing on the EU if they are legal as you can be fined upto 2000 euros using one . I was only reading about it in a MH mag yesterday about Spain Austria and Switzerland.

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Still very confusing on the EU if they are legal as you can be fined upto 2000 euros using one . I was only reading about it in a MH mag yesterday about Spain Austria and Switzerland.

Dave

On what basis is the use confusing? They are no different to a camera or video recorder. Where they are placed in the car may be subject to vehicle legislation but their use would seem to be quite legal, after all the EU has the same data protection throughout. What may create some serious debate is the publishing of video in which people and vehicles can be identified which is what one German state is attempting to control. Do you have any links about the Spanish, Austrian and Swiss reports?