Powertouch Evolution Awd. Manual Or Auto?

Scaramanga

Right guys. Im getting close now to having to buy a new powrtouch evolution AWD for my new twin axle that will be arriving shortly. My dilema now is do i go for manual or auto actuation? Theres about a £200 price difference between the two. I like the idea of just pressing a button to engage or disengage the rollers, or is that just being lazy? But there is more to go wrong with these. What do you think?

I have the manual action and it is pretty easy to operate. I think that the auto action is expensive for the 2secs it takes to do it manually. Plus if it does go wrong it is a lot of messing about trying to get them off or on as the case maybe. Apart from that I believe that if the manual operation gets to difficult you can have auto operation fitted as an aftermarket item.

We chose the single action auto actuation version for our van as I didn't want to have to use the handle to set and unset the movers. There is a long handled tool supplied to release the movers if they are stuck but so far so good.

Auto every time, yep I do like the easy option. .

<p>Ford Galaxy Auto (powershift)AWD Towing An Elddis Avante 866 :)

I chose the auto engage on our new van having had the manual on our previous twin axle, the difference is a revelation, my old one was becoming increasingly more difficult to engage, a combination of its age and mine!! but the auto version is so much easier.

Just one problem I find, I keep forgetting to disengage the rollers having hooked up!! tried to set off twice with them on.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I chose the auto engage on our new van having had the manual on our previous twin axle, the difference is a revelation, my old one was becoming increasingly more difficult to engage, a combination of its age and mine!! but the auto version is so much easier.

Just one problem I find, I keep forgetting to disengage the rollers having hooked up!! tried to set off twice with them on.

Phil.

Aye must be terrible these " advancing years " :D:D:D:D

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Didn't they have problems with auto?

I seem to think some changed to manual.

If powrtouch sorted this problem. The choice is what you prefer.

If they haven't, stick with the manual

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

I have had the auto on my last van and this one and never had it breakdown, one time it only moved 2 of the 4 rollers in but a quick off on with the master sorted that.

Mine are used every time the van goes out and when it comes in and sometimes on site so at least 118 times on this van.

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Says he who has already advanced to the old mans mhome!!!

:D:D

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Auto for me, anything for an easier life !

Only had one problem when new and that was 'pilot' error but sorted when read the instruction properly instead of scanning them.

Kia Sportage KX4 2Lt

Lunar Quasar 524

Powrtouch Evolution Mover

Auto for me too. I've had no problems at all, been extremely reliable.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

I have the Truma auto on my single axle, which is very good, however you have to plug the 13 pin

socket into the safety socket under the a frame for it to work, this can be a pain at times as it is quite fiddly (if that's the word) to do.

Ian

I have had the Evolution Auto since it came out. I had it to replace a manual Powertouch. Great bit of kit and so much easier to engage than manual movers. I would not go back to a manual. I am not sure that you can upgrade a manual to an automatic as a previous post suggests. The Evolution is a totally new design and nothing like the old manual Powertouch.

We have the auto on ours and a brilliant piece of kit. We find that the 2 wheel works almost as well as the AWD as the wheels still scuff when turning plus considerably cheaper than the AWD.

It seems the Autos have it. Looks like thats what it will be then :)

You won't regret it.

From reading a recent topic on CT just make sure that you understand the implications of the fitting - the fitter should inform you about:

- removal or re-siting of underslung spare wheel carrier

- removal of AL-KO jacking brackets

- removal, or possibly reduction of mudflaps.

This applies regardless of whether choosing auto or manual.

Land Rover is now back towing.

You won't regret it.

From reading a recent topic on CT just make sure that you understand the implications of the fitting - the fitter should inform you about:

- removal or re-siting of underslung spare wheel carrier

- removal of AL-KO jacking brackets

- removal, or possibly reduction of mudflaps.

This applies regardless of whether choosing auto or manual.

Your talking to the fitter lol.

Mudflaps. Check

Brackets removed. Check

Wheel carrier. ...doesnt have one

We have had the Evolution Auto Engage for nearly 2 years now and no problems. There is also a weight saving with the auto over the manual in so far as the manual has a cross actuation bar (or 2 in the case of a twin axle) which must weigh a kilo or two each!

• 2 weeks later...

Well ordered the evolution awd auto at the NEC show with fitting. I bottled the diy jobby. Thanks all

Manual for me. I can have one axle with mover engaged and the other free to rotate. Helps when putting on wheel locks.

Car - Range Rover Autobiography and a Range Rover Vogue
Caravan - 2015 Compass Rallye 644 with Isabella Commodore, Isabella Magnum Coal 250 and Isabella Eclipse
Trailer - Sankey Mk3 Widebody

• 2 months later...

Manual for me. I can have one axle with mover engaged and the other free to rotate. Helps when putting on wheel locks.

Ive just been wondering about this for the AWD auto. I take it theres no option to engage just a single pair of rollers. Seeing as my van will be parked on a slope and i have to fit both alko locks, i can see this being a challenge till im used to it

Ive just been wondering about this for the AWD auto. I take it theres no option to engage just a single pair of rollers. Seeing as my van will be parked on a slope and i have to fit both alko locks, i can see this being a challenge till im used to it

You could fit a switch so only one set is powered up, as there are two control boxes easy to do.

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

I would buy the manual ( what I have ) my next door neighbour has the Auto and the manual is much easer and faster engage

2004 land rover discovery 2 td5 with a 2008 twin wheel compass rallye 636

• 2 weeks later...

I think speed of actuation depends, for me I turn the key on and power up the mover. Then start the auto engage. I reckon by the time I would have picked up the engagement arm tool and swung it over. Then put it somewhere where I would not leave it or loose it ( because I know myself well enough to know I would leave it and forget it) the auto would be engaged.

It doesn't take long to auto engage. I didn't want to have to carry another tool as weight is a big issue for me. The only downer I could see would be if you lost battery mid move and have to tool the motor mover off the wheel.

It's a nice feature to have and means that hopefully Mrs jiff could use it if needed.

I think if going awd I would go for auto.

Just my opinion though a good mover which ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Interested in hearing how people rate these as we are having a FOC Powertouch Evolution Auto fitted to our new Cadiz that we are picking up early April. At the NEC show last October we entered the competition as one does at these shows on the Powertouch stand to win a new mover and was surprised to receive a call at the end of November saying we had won an Evolution mover and did we want the manual or auto version. To say we were gob smacked at actually winning a competition is an understatement.

Note to self, have to see what other competitions are around at this years show :)