New Discovery

Gaz40

Saw the new Discovery on the back of a transporter on the M6 today. Looked very nice from the outside and seemed to be squashed down a little and smaller then I expected. Looks more of a sports utility vehicle than the out going model.

I saw it on the M5 today! Very nice.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Was it a new Discovery D5 or the new Discovery Sport which is replacing the Freelander 2 ?

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

It must have been the Discovery Sport then. The only badge I noticed was "Discovery" across the full rear of the tail gate. that explains why it was compact . . ish. Looked good though.

So the Freelander is going ??

Edited by Gaz40

It must have been the Discovery Sport then. The only badge I noticed was "Discovery" across the full rear of the tail gate. that explains why it was compact . . ish. Looked good though.

So the Freelander is going ??

What would otherwise be called the Freelander 3, will be called Discovery Sport - to promote Discovery as a sub-brand within Land Rover - it's an evolution of the current/old model but with extended wheelbase and 7-seat capability - taking on the Korean twins, Santa Fe and Sorento, head-on.

Sadly the new Ingenium engines won't be available for the first year or so as the new Jaguar XE will absorb capacity until it gets fully ramped up - so the old Ford petrol and PSA diesels will be used in the launch models.

Priced at £33k to £43k so I would say they're to expensive to take on the "Korean twins"

Quite strange really as I would say the biggest rival will be the Evoque. :unsure:

Edited by scotsstag

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

Priced at £33k to £43k so I would say they're to expensive to take on the "Korean twins"

Quite strange really as I would say the biggest rival will be the Evoque. :unsure:

I feel sure that JLR would love to justify the price differential but the reality is that many bought the "Korean twins" instead of FL2 because of their increased interior space and 7-seat option - JLR have addressed that specific downside with the new Discovery Sport.

The Evoque has even less luggage space than the outgoing FL2 so not really in the same size sector as the new Discovery Sport.- price overlap doesn't make it a competitor as few customers buy simply on price.

The Discovery Sport is only 244mm longer and 83mm wider than the Evoque, so very little difference in exterior physical size between to two.

I would also say that many customers buy on price, if they can get their req'd spec and quality for less then I believe many will. .. do. ..

I saw it at the Southampton boat show, very nice car, according to the LR staff there, it will not be the Freelander replacement, it's a new vehicle in its own right. Towing capacity 2200kg.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I think it's a big mistake replacing the Freelander range with a product that is considerably more expensive. Leaves a gap in the market, in my opinion.

Just saw the above post - I hope you're right!

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

According to them, Freelander production ceased on 30 september, I don't know what they will replace it with, if at all.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

The Freelander is no more, and the Discovery Sport IS the new Freelander. LR are having three distinct ranges. "Luxury" = Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Evoque, "Leisure" = Discovery and Discovery Sport, and "Utility" = Defender. All the ranges are "for now" with a number of additions over the next few years.

Edited by nigel207

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

The Freelander is no more, and the Discovery Sport IS the new Freelander. LR are having three distinct ranges. "Luxury" = Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Evoque, "Leisure" = Discovery and Discovery Sport, and "Utility" = Defender. All the ranges are "for now" with a number of additions over the next few years.

Agreed - it's all been previewed endlessly in car magazines and car forums with drip-feed press releases from JLR almost every week for a couple of years - I can't believe that anyone doesn't know what's new from JLR.

Edited by Black Grouse

Here you go http://www. autoexpress. co. uk/land-rover/discovery-sport/84812/new-2015-land-rover-discovery-sport-revealed-in-paris :)

But this replacement for the Freelander is the first of at least three models in the new Discovery family, with a new version of the current, larger Discovery due to debut in 2016.

lr_ds_iceland_location_03_0.jpg?itok=gsc

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Agreed - it's all been previewed endlessly in car magazines and car forums with drip-feed press releases from JLR almost every week for a couple of years - I can't believe that anyone doesn't know what's new from JLR.

That's me I'm afraid, last time read any news, it was showing images of the new Freelander 3 :blush:

There again, we cant all be anorak's ;)

Looks good though, even when there's more advance engines in the delivery room waiting for their new home. :(

Not sure about the Defender "Utility" range, as last friday was the last day Land Rover dealers would take an order for a Defender, so if you have not order one by then thats it no more Defender, and not a replacment in sight.

What would otherwise be called the Freelander 3, will be called Discovery Sport - to promote Discovery as a sub-brand within Land Rover - it's an evolution of the current/old model but with extended wheelbase and 7-seat capability - taking on the Korean twins, Santa Fe and Sorento, head-on.

Sadly the new Ingenium engines won't be available for the first year or so as the new Jaguar XE will absorb capacity until it gets fully ramped up - so the old Ford petrol and PSA diesels will be used in the launch models.

taking on the Korean twins, Santa Fe and Sorento, head-on. funniest thing I've read in ages.

You will see the Ingenium installed by this time next year.

Not sure about the Defender "Utility" range, as last friday was the last day Land Rover dealers would take an order for a Defender, so if you have not order one by then thats it no more Defender, and not a replacment in sight.

Picked a new Defender up this morning from Pentland in Perth and if the salesman is to be believed the Defender will now be in production for an extra year, so they are now available for 2016 delivery. ..

Not saying this is "gospel", I'm saying this is what I was told. .

Some would say if your picking up a new Defender then do not drive it, take it away and wrap it up for the next 40 years it will be worth a few bob. Hell No! just go out and dive it as it was built for off road. My information is public customers have had their chance the last production in 2015 will be for special vehicles spec only. I'm told the factory site that builds the chassis has been sold and a demolision date is fixed. Time will tell, some say the production line will go to india or China so a non-EU Defender can be built, others say the line is scrap next year. We will see I guess, rummors do come out for a reason at times.

Saw a transporter with a red Discovery onboard on M5 on Sunday. ..squashed Evoke style. ..

Defender. ..my mate in Scotland who is buying a LWB Defender has been told order before 1st December 2014,

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

The current Defender is being finished for a number of reasons, BUT there is a replacement in the pipelines which will fulfill that "Utility" role. .

Edited by nigel207

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

The current Defender is being finished for a number of reasons, BUT there is a replacement in the pipelines which will fulfill that "Utility" role. .

One reason, not several - the Defender didn't comply with EU 2010 safety regulations and couldn't be modified to do so - as an existing model it received a concession for 5 years but that concession expires in 2015.

One reason, not several - the Defender didn't comply with EU 2010 safety regulations and couldn't be modified to do so - as an existing model it received a concession for 5 years but that concession expires in 2015.

No several reason is correct, the first being the cost of building it, it costs more for JLR to build a Defender than it does to build a Range Rover. JLR have no engine to go into a Defender, when the current contract with Ford runs out, other JLR engiens will not fit. Tata have a few good engines but none that meet EU spec. And at the end of the day, they simply don't sell enough Defenders to cover the cost of a new model. I hope I'm wrong and there will be a new Defender, with a simple none-eletronic diesal engine around 3-ltr would be nice. If then I will just have to build another one in a few years time.