Total Disregard

Phil O

What is it with folk who blatantly drive across soggy grass areas when on site. Packing up this morning I witnessed 3 blokes who did this, 2 leaving and 1 arriving, if you can't reverse a van onto a pitch or leave using the Tarmac area then get a mover, if you can't do that then manhandle it and if that's beyond you then ask for help, if wont do that then it's time to sell the van, 4" deep ruts now welcome the new arrivals to those pitches.

Did you not go and tell them the error of their ways?

Did you not go and tell them the error of their ways?

The look of disgust on my face would've said it all, and yes they will have seen it. I mentioned it in the office on my departure.

Sadly I've seen it many times :(

The worst was one bank holiday at Annstead farm, the farmer stopped them from being pulled out and used his tractor so they didn't dig ruts.

While the commotion was going on I parked my car on the tarmac and drove the caravan to it with the mover :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

All three were 4x4's. Tho non of them spun their wheels.

There's your answer ! I bet two wheel units would not do the same for fear of getting stuck.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

If the grass is so wet that a car sinks into it and makes ruts it is not fit to pitch on. When the grass is firm enough to pitch on it is frequently the best and most accurate way of placing a caravan on the pitch to drive through the pitch providing there is reasonable access from the rear.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

I will always try and reverse my caravan onto a pitch without churning up the grass although I may leave small short ruts on the corners. Simpler to use the vehicle as much as possible as easier to swing the caravan with the motor than using the motor mover.

Simpler to use the vehicle as much as possible as easier to swing the caravan with the motor than using the motor mover.

How so? With a mover you can spin on one wheel and never have to drive your vehicle on the grass.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

How so? With a mover you can spin on one wheel and never have to drive your vehicle on the grass.

Even better you can spin the van using both motors one going backwards snd one going forwards the van turns inside its own length. Much easier and much more accurate than pushing with the car.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

That doesn't work if you have a TA caravan.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

If the grass is so wet that a car sinks into it and makes ruts it is not fit to pitch on. When the grass is firm enough to pitch on it is frequently the best and most accurate way of placing a caravan on the pitch to drive through the pitch providing there is reasonable access from the rear.

They weren't driving across pitches, just the pretty bits surrounding them !! Well they were pretty beforehand.

I will always try and reverse my caravan onto a pitch without churning up the grass although I may leave small short ruts on the corners.

Small short ruts. ........ surely just as dangerous and unsightly as big long ones.

We have a TA and the mover only works on the front wheels as we could not afford a AWD setup.

We have a TA and the mover only works on the front wheels as we could not afford a AWD setup.

. .....but you managed to afford the TA van! Reminds me a bit of MV owners who can't afford site fees! :D

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

. .....but you managed to afford the TA van! Reminds me a bit of MV owners who can't afford site fees! :D

What's a MV?

Pete

Motor home!

We had to wait and save up to buy the motor mover at a later stage as could not afford it when we bought the caravan using money from a small inheritance.

Motor van, it's the more usual abbreviation in my experience. QED.

BTW I now wish I'd spelled it out in full, it's taken me a lot longer to respond to the consequential questions!

We had to wait and save up to buy the motor mover at a later stage as could not afford it when we bought the caravan using money from a small inheritance.

Fair enough.

Motor van

I could have gone with MH but I've never seen MV used before

Pete

Well that settles that debate then. Brilliant!

Small short ruts. ........ surely just as dangerous and unsightly as big long ones.

Dangerous?

Dangerous?

Yep, dangerous, deep ruts and small ruts can turn ankles, can trip up toddlers, to the clever ones I thought that would be obvious !!!

Edited by Phil O