Lucky Escape

Alyvin

Returning from our break in the Cotswolds yesterday, travelling on the M42 at 60mph.

We were happily plodding along and another caravan was overtaking us when suddenly there was a massive bang and my husband was braking to avoid debris flying up at us.

The caravan overtaking us had a blow out of its near side tyre. He was luckily able to control the caravan and pulled over in front of us into the hard shoulder.

We sustained some deep scratches to the front of our car from the debris but luckily the caravan was unscathed.

It could have been a lot worse, luckily the motorway was quiet.

Just brings it home that you can be happily pottering along and through no fault of your own something awful can happen.

Good to hear all persons ok - but did you pull in too? - He'll be claiming on hi insurance i presume, so you could too.

Al.

You were travelling at 60 and another van went past. Perhaps if he had been going slower at a legal speed he might not have had the same trouble.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Good to hear all persons ok - but did you pull in too? - He'll be claiming on hi insurance i presume, so you could too.

It all happened so quickly, and we knew they were safe, and we were unsure what was behind us that we just drove on to the next service station.

With hindsight we should have pulled over as there could have been more damage. I think we were just a bit shocked and not thinking properly.

It all happened so quickly, and we knew they were safe, and we were unsure what was behind us that we just drove on to the next service station.

With hindsight we should have pulled over as there could have been more damage. I think we were just a bit shocked and not thinking properly.

exscuse me for being a bit dense, but how could you be unsure as to what was behind you when you have mirrors on the car?

I am glad that you are ok :)

Hi

I think you did the right thing, motorway hard shoulder is the last place to stop unless you really have too.

Glad your ok.

Hi

I think you did the right thing, motorway hard shoulder is the last place to stop unless you really have too.

Glad your ok.

I agree, I would only stop on the motorway if the car stopped. .. I would not do it for any other reason I can think of. People die that way.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I agree, I would only stop on the motorway if the car stopped. .. I would not do it for any other reason I can think of. People die that way.

Witness last weeks programme on Motorways - now that was frightening!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I'm sure you wouldn't stop. .. but, if you got home, and the side of you car & 'van were mashed with bits from a shreading tyre, that wasn't your fault and a couple of grand to repair, would you still think, "so glad i didn't stop"...?

on that note, in-car cameras in Makro for £19. 99 x vat, at the mo. We've got BlackVue's in all our cars - and won't be without them - a guy in a RangeRover drove into the side of the wife 4 weeks ago (her car still in bodyshop!) and tried to say the wife was speeding and "appeard out of no-where"; he swiftly shut-up when she pointed out her CCTV!

In Car Cameras would all you to see the reg of the offending vehicle, and sort it out later.

Al.

exscuse me for being a bit dense, but how could you be unsure as to what was behind you when you have mirrors on the car?

I am glad that you are ok :)

You might know what was behind you at the start of the incident but, whilst busily reducing speed and observing the other outfit crossing in front of you you may not be aware of changes in the traffic behind you as you would be too busy looking forward.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Glad all were OK

Bill Lord, some drive to their car speedos and some drive to their speedos, so its more than possible both felt they were travelling at 60mph.

Main thing as I am sure you meant to mention, was that everyone was safe. ...

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

As no one was hurt I would have parked up when safe to do so, I would sooner risk my excess than have a lorry plough into the back of us.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)