Lunar Saros Battery Drain

N180FLB

I purchased my Saros SE at the end of August, switching my Caravan battery from my previous Sterling Elite Onyx. The battery was only purchased this year and I had no problems with it in my old van.

Now I notice that the voltage is dropping to below 9v within three weeks after being fully charged by the caravan trickle charger.

Like the old van this van runs the alarm system with a Phantom Tracker - so no change. Everything else is powered off so either the new battery has developed a fault when it was transferred or there is a power drain within the Saros system.

Has any other Saros owner with the "exclusive" motor home electric system experienced a similar problem?

The Phantom Tracker can cause excess current drain on 2013 Clubman, flattening the battery in 2 weeks off hook-up - the Phantom Tracker can be removed but that's no help if you want the tracker facility.

Whether the 2015 models are wired in the same way, I've no idea.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

We have been told that the 12v to the fridge remains live and draws current. We always switch it off at the master switch. Our 110ah battery would last about 4 - 6 weeks before triggering the low alarm. After replacing the battery no more issues last winter, however now we have a solar panel it will also help.

Following an email to Sargent:

The power button on the control panel is for day to day use; it turns off the leisure loads but the system is still using battery power. If you are leaving the van in storage then you should turn off the system shutdown button on the EC500, this will completely power down the electronics and thus prevent battery drain.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I use the master switch black on the EC500 prior to storage we have a brand new 120 ah numax battery and it lasts about 5 to 6 weeks ish but in all honesty we now caravan all winter every 4 weeks on site for a few days plus we get the enjoyment from the new van

I thought it would last longer but it doesn't but apart from swapping the battery all the time not much more we can do we got a quote of £360 for a solar panel to help with the battery but found it cheaper to stay on site 3 days once a month winter battery is getting a regular charge as well that's our solution I know that's not ideal for everyone but its how we deal with it

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem I charged my battery on holiday in October the battery dropped from 13. 07 last

Sat to 12. 06 today 5 days, tracker say their system uses only milli amps, with a meter in circuit there is no drain with the storage button out, but the alarm was not on.

Also worth checking any radio, some draw surprisingly high current just to maintain the pre sets.

Hi

I use the master switch black on the EC500 prior to storage we have a brand new 120 ah numax battery and it lasts about 5 to 6 weeks ish but in all honesty we now caravan all winter every 4 weeks on site for a few days plus we get the enjoyment from the new van

I thought it would last longer but it doesn't but apart from swapping the battery all the time not much more we can do we got a quote of £360 for a solar panel to help with the battery but found it cheaper to stay on site 3 days once a month winter battery is getting a regular charge as well that's our solution I know that's not ideal for everyone but its how we deal with it

When we ordered the Saros we added a solar panel,it was on the list of extras. I use the phantom app to check the voltage and usually find it just under 13 v. but the winter will be the real test.

John

When we ordered the Saros we added a solar panel,it was on the list of extras. I use the phantom app to check the voltage and usually find it just under 13 v. but the winter will be the real test.

John

Hi John

We seen the 40w panel on the extras list but that was £249 inc vat and adding 5. 2kgs to the roof weight

The higher figure we got quoted for was for a 80w solar panel but also adding even more weight onto the roof

like you i thought of the winter and how would it work covered in snow? and or would it be enough to keep the

battery topped up.

It's a strange one this battery drain lark i also use the phantom app and can see the drain over the weeks

the only thing running is the alarm and tracker even if the alarm is not set it must still draw current keeping it powered

Will watch with interest if you put some info on over winter regarding solar charge. Good luck

The new battery being duff is always a possibility, particularly after eliminating the obvious.

I have the same problem I charged my battery on holiday in October the battery dropped from 13. 07 last

Sat to 12. 06 today 5 days, tracker say their system uses only milli amps, with a meter in circuit there is no drain with the storage button out, but the alarm was not on.

I thought i would put some more detailed info on as it may help our battery was showing 14. 288 prior to storage

but we have to use our evolution mover to restore van, 2 days later the voltage on phantom app was 13. 011

so not to bad because of mover use and two days later. 22 days after that the battery is showing 12. 494

this is a new 120ah battery i don't think its a battery fault because if i did not have to use the mover i it would last a

lot Longer looked at the EC500 info and this is some of it.

The EC500 system has a shutdown feature that should be used when the vehicle is in storage or is not

being used for long periods of time. This allows the leisure electronics to be turned off when not

required to save battery power. When in the off state the alarm and tracking system supplies are still

active, most other supplies are turned off.

The MOST other supplies is the bit that puzzles me, but we stay on site 3 days once a month during winter battery is getting a regular charge,van kept clean as well, that's our solution I know that's not ideal for everyone but its how we deal with it winter and Battery's don't mix eh

I have looked at other forums regarding battery issues and feel that its the tracker that turns up for the reason of battery drain

Phantom would not admit it anyway some sales lost for sure. I am going to see how it goes suck and see time will have battery checked on service

we also knew about this issue prior to purchase but once we had been inside our Saros that was it we had to have it

I am maybe thinking about removing the tracker on its first service reasoning being the van will still have a alarm, it is in a

CC Club Cassoa site, and a Alko wheel lock fitted how far can one go to secure the van the boys who steal these vans can get past it all its just bad luck if it goes its insured anyway i read somewhere that the price difference regarding insurance is

not worth thinking about just thought to mention this info hope it helps

Just checked my van on the tracker app battery now 12. 59. Seems like small solar panel is trying

To charge in daylight but drops at night, I reckon if I charge battery from my car every 3 weeks,

It will stay in the green on tracker

Will see what happens by Christmas

Thanks for help

Just checked my van on the tracker app battery now 12. 59. Seems like small solar panel is trying

To charge in daylight but drops at night, I reckon if I charge battery from my car every 3 weeks,

It will stay in the green on tracker

Will see what happens by Christmas

Thanks for help

Sheesh - you have a solar panel but still you feel the need to charge every 3 weeks?

Black Grouse, on 10 Nov 2014 - 8:39 PM, said:

Sheesh - you have a solar panel but still you feel the need to charge every 3 weeks?

It depends on how big the solar panel is and where it is, I tried a 12w one in the front window (south easterly) that didn't do any good so I tried a 20w that didn't do any good either, but they both worked perfectly when outside.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

It depends on how big the solar panel is and where it is, I tried a 12w one in the front window (south easterly) that didn't do any good so I tried a 20w that didn't do any good either, but they both worked perfectly when outside.

I'd be concerned if a caravan without solar panel needed the battery charging that often, so it's crazy to me that it needs charging every 3 weeks despite whatever the solar panel has added.

If you leave a car with a good battery standing for a couple of weeks, you probably will not be able to start the car as the battery probably will be flat as the alarm and immobiliser have drained the battery. A caravan will be no different.

• Like 1

If you leave a car with a good battery standing for a couple of weeks, you probably will not be able to start the car as the battery probably will be flat as the alarm and immobiliser have drained the battery. A caravan will be no different.

If that was true, most holiday travellers would be stranded in airport car parks on their return.

If that was true, most holiday travellers would be stranded in airport car parks on their return.

Many probably are but how many people go away for a month or longer?

I'd dispute that - espeially when a caravan leisure battery will last very well if no Tracker is fitted!

Many probably are but how many people go away for a month or longer?

Er, I for one do, but you are changing horses in midstream. Initially you said "a couple of weeks" and suddenly it has become a month. I will be leaving my car next month at an airport to have an apartment holiday in Spain and won't be back till the end of January. As in previous years, I fully expect my car to start on my return and the battery is more than 5 years old.

It doesn't have a tracker though! My caravan, which I store in France over the winter, is unattended from September till May, and the battery has always been down a bit till EHU is connected. Then it is fine. It doesn't have a tracker though!

Following an email to Sargent:

The power button on the control panel is for day to day use; it turns off the leisure loads but the system is still using battery power. If you are leaving the van in storage then you should turn off the system shutdown button on the EC500, this will completely power down the electronics and thus prevent battery drain.

Hi Sargent

write up on

Leisure Battery and System Discharge Testing

Link

http://sargentshop. co. uk/epages/eshop328964. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop328964/Categories/Self_Help/Leisure_Battery_Discharge_Testing

Also worth noting is that the phantom tracker periodically looks for the Sim card in order to check the status of the Alarm / alarm battery / van battry

In can drain the van battery quicker, if the van is in a poor area for the sim card service provider as it constantly PINGs for a signal

Talk to Phantom for the provider ( ie Videophone ) and then check the providers Web side for their coverage

Dave

Sometimes the tracker or the alarm can get the blame when the status aerial has been left on, or the fan for the fire, or the radio front has been left on (those with a memory) etc. , or maybe its the light for the fridge, does it go off when the doors closed :unsure:

. ..........are you sure

Its worth noting what is turned off by the master switch in your particular caravan ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 4 weeks later...

Checked my battery on phantom tonight down to yellow, small solar panel on roof now connected into e500 system but short days not charging enough, the alarm has been off since Saturday and voltage still dropping must be tracker I connected car last Saturday for 20 mins voltage was 12 . 7 volts then, their is no drain when voltmeter in line and tracker off. Thinking of taking battery off at Christmas for a good trickle charge at home, could then leave battery at home for a while to test, van stored on gold site so still secure

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.