Landrover Freelander 2007 Onwards, Any Good.

G-a-r-y

I quite like the look of the later Freelanders and wondered what are they like to tow with.

Could do with feedback from automatic versions and do they have self levelling suspension?

Grass growing, Mercedes E320 CDI driving, Bailey tugging caravanner.

Brilliant for towing. I have an auto and get 28mpg plus when the Pursuit is behind us!

Did not takeout an extended warranty when it was three years old and the Land Rover warranty expired. Had a few bits go wrong, but they have cost less than I would have spent on another three years warranty.

Would I have another one! Like a shot if I could afford it!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I had a 2002 FL1 from new and it was a brilliant car until 110k when the VCU failed and took out both the front and rear diff. I like the look of the FL2 but have read about similar transmission problems with the Haldex unit. After the repair bill I had last time I just can't bring myself to buy a FL2, even though I think it would suit us perfectly.

Is there any truth to the issues with the Haldex units and if so were they resolved? I am only going by what I have rread in various LR forums so don't know how widespread these issues really were.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

I had 2 freelander 1's . . The first was the petrol and was a terrible car the second one I got in 2002 and was the td4 with the bmw engine. Great car & great for towing . Land Rover priced me out of their market when freelander 2 came along so I changed to people carriers even tho there is just the wife and i . With the advent of the discovery sport coming out early next year Land Rover have done 3 specials to run the model out. This gave me the opertunity to get back on to the Land Rover ladder . For the first time ever I bought an automatic, 6 speed with a 2. 2 diesel engine .

The first trip with car was towing the van for 70 miles, mostly motorway and dual carriageway, I was a bit disappointed with the mpg (only 24 mpg) then I reilised that for most of the journey I had be passing everything on the road ie doing about 70mph (I never tow at that speed) . The outfit was as solid as a rock . The the way home I kept my speed to around 62mph (enough for the car to get into sixth) and returned just over 26 mpg .

Everyday driving is a breeze, the high seating position and visibility is fantastic (it's even higher that the 2 ford galaxy's I had). The power combined with the autobox makes driving wether in town or motorway a doddle. We have 2 cars and the freelander is used for holidays and going to special events, but I'm always wanting to take Freelander out even to the shops.

Last week we went to Manchester for an overnight stay, I'm in Hamilton so it was a longish drive, sat at 63mph and returned 40mpg, driving down was bliss, I didn't want the journey to end . . Admittedly I have the top model, heated seats (on your bum and half way up you're back) ,cruise control, heated steering wheel, auto lights & auto wipers . . To sum up, tows fantastically and is like driving an easy chair.

Yeah my FL1 was the BMW powered TD4, my brother had a petrol (horrible) :). If I ever did buy a FL2 it wouldn't be that new, maybe 2010-2012. So I am interested to know whether there were any major transmission issues with these model years.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Get an auto and all will be well. Put general grabber at tyres on and it will go anywhere

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

I had a 2010 fl2 td4 gs and really liked it. It was a great tow car and we went to the dordogne with a swift challenger in tow and it was comfortable and reliable. I only part exed it to get a bigger caravan. My cousin had one and it was good until the power steering rack failed, which he was told is common and that was at 35,000 miles on his fl2. I think the xs is the best specced model to go for as it has leather and sat nav but you don't pay the price of the hse. I personally think LR are milking the success of their models as they are way overpriced, but i suppose you can't blame them if they can get away with it.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

I have owned 2 FL2s - an 07 man & 09 auto they were both excellent but I preferred the auto.

They didn't have self levelling suspension but carried plenty of heavy building supplies in them and pulled a large trailer without noticeable dropping of rear.

I joined www. freel2. com and can recommend it if you want advice - many on there tow :)

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Hi, owned a 09 FL 2 auto for 3 years from new, great tow car. But had to take it back 8 times for warranty work during the time I had it, this included failure of power steering, new front seat assembly, replacement of all the door seals. As soon as warranty expired I got rid of it.

l