Loose Awning Poles Damage Caravan

gtepete

During the summer we went off to Southlands on the Isle of Wight, we have a Ranger GT60 540/6. Great site. We had a brand new Ventura Alantic full awning. All came together easily, we had already marked up the poles with green/red stickers relating to upright/roof poles etc. at home. Ours has the easy adjustable over centre clamp fittings, not wing nuts. We were expecting winds so I fitted extra spring loaded straps (actually designed for camper vans) at each end and used rachet strap in the middle. This is what happened. We went out for the day, yes it was windy, on our return our little girl went into the awning first, when she shouted that a pole had fallen down. The central roof pole had become loose from its hooked end had fallen out of the small pad which rests on the caravan side, and with the wind movement slipped down the caravan side leaving several dents and a long scratch. .not a pretty sight. ..anyway I found that I needed to tighten all the other locking clamps by turning the screw at least 2 turns to ensure the clamp was nice and tight. ...if only we had pre warned that the clamps may need adjustment to prevent the inner tube coming loose. ..I am considering buying those jubilee clips with built in wings in addtion to the clamps to ensure poles do not loosen again in windy weather. ......ps I used some sticky silicone motorcycle pads to hide 2 dents, and a silicone union jack for the larger dent. ..

Were your storm straps the approved internal fixed Isabella jobbies, or similiar. I don't think the spring loaded straps are up to the job because they flex a lot. Not had a problem with our Pacific 250 in high winds, with the Isabella straps fitted.

Land Rover is now back towing.

That's the favourite trick, along with stick-on reflectors!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

• 2 weeks later...

Straps were fine, problem was loose poles. ..