Mover On A Twin Axle Compass/elddis

IanT599

Just collected our caravan yesterday.

We have had a mover fitted (4wd) with manual activation. We have had the mud flaps removed (I can understand that) but they have removed the spare wheel and carrier and also the Alko side jack mounts.

The spare wheel is now under the island bed and taking up a lot of space obviously and I now have no way of jacking up the caravan to fit the Alko wheel locks.

Has anyone got a twin axle mover fitted to a twin axle Elddis with this issue.

Biggest issues we have is 1 we bought a power touch and got a purple line fitted (didn't realise till we were reading the manuals) and 2 that no one told us the spare wheel and Alko jack had to come off. We are wondering if we had auto engagement would we have kept the jack and spare wheel in the standard places?

Car - Range Rover Autobiography and a Range Rover Vogue
Caravan - 2015 Compass Rallye 644 with Isabella Commodore, Isabella Magnum Coal 250 and Isabella Eclipse
Trailer - Sankey Mk3 Widebody

I have the same setup and issue IanT599 but fortunately am only required to fit one SAS lock by our insurers.

Prior to this van we had a Senator Louisiana with an island bed but again were only required to fit one AlKo.

In both cases the spare wheel carriers were removed and the spare wheel carried in the van on the floor.

When on site the spare wheel is slid under the van behind the awning and out of sight.

I bought a small narrow trolley jack from Machine Mart which fitted between the wheels for jacking purposes on the reinforced part of the chassis (in my case) but after having a TA van of circa 2 tonnes slide off it only tried it the once.

When I have had wheels changed by Mayday, they have always used a trolley jack on the chassis as close to the axles as they can get but the movers do make getting right up close with ours a problem

Other CT members do fit two locks to their vans and dare say will be along shortly to describe to you their methods of fitting both locks.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Griff

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

i have a coachman t/a and the spare wheel carrier was removed the spare is now in the front locker

i just have to keep a eye on the nose weight which i have got down to 97kg, as for jacking the van

up i carry a trolley jack which goes in the car when travelling along with the awning

Coachman festival 580-4 -Freelander 1 TD4

If you ordered a Powrtouch mover you should have had this fitted.

Believe the Purpleline is heavier, slower at moving the van and significantly cheaper to buy.

When we had our twin axle caravan (Lunar) we only fitted a two, not four, wheel mover option given the impact on the jacking points. Manual and auto activation both have same impact on this. Would suggest the dealer \ fitter should have told you this.

Another point, did they give you the jacking brackets back so you could refit these if you remove the mover when selling caravan on? If not, why not?

Our spare wheel was always located in the front locker so no issue there.

We have a 4WD Powrtouch mover fitted to our Buccaneer Caravel (Elddis) the Alko spare wheel carrier was moved backwards within the chassis to accommodate the rear movers and works exactly as it should - I have removed and replaced the spare wheel at each service without any difficulty.

I use a Lock-N-Level for levelling and fitting of wheel locks.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

Warranties need to be looked at .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I think the dealer might be pulling a fast one, powrtouch warranty seem a lot better i would ring powrtouch and ask how they would have fitted it they are a very helpful company, i would pay them a visit

Powrtouch supplied brackets to move the carrier rearwards on my Alko chassis VanMaster, no need to move it on the BPW chassis on the Eterniti.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Ok we called the dealer. We have to wait until tomorrow to find out about the mover.

The reason we were originally happy with the power touch mover was the warranty which was parts AND labour.

Had we known the TA mover was possibly an issue for the jack and the spare wheel we would have probably went with the completely troublefree Alko one which would have easily kept both jack and spare wheel in original locations.

Caravan - 2015 Compass Rallye 644 with Isabella Commodore, Isabella Magnum Coal 250 and Isabella Eclipse

I have a twin axle and like you have had the spare removed to accomadate the powertouch awd movers. My spare goes under 1 of the single fixed beds and as I have loads of locker space and under seat space I am quite happy with this. As previously said by others if you were promised a powertouch insist on them fitting them because I believe they are better than the purple line and if you read the threads on movers they are a good company that honour there warranty. The powertouch movers are really powerfull and I have had no trouble using them.

As regards jacking the van up, I don't ! my insurance is quite happy that I have 1 alko chassis lock and 1 Nemesis ultra so there is no need to jack the van up. I still get a discount and full cover. lf I have a problem where I need to change a tyre then I have AA cover to do that. However I am seriously considering a lock and lift which looks handy for levelling as well as changing wheels.

Edited by pagan

It isn't just getting the wheel locks on that's the problem it's also how do I change a wheel on a busy motorway if required.

Get a set of levelling ramps and drive the caravan up the ramp with the mover until the axle with the puncture is hanging.

Ring mayday!

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

It isn't just getting the wheel locks on that's the problem it's also how do I change a wheel on a busy motorway if required.

Use a levelling ramp as suggested elsewhere, safer and quicker than a jack.

I use caravan club insurance they offer a discount for each wheel lock fitted, I elected to forgo the discount, it was only about £12. 50 not worth the hassle. I just use one wheel lock and a hitch lock. If thieves are determined enough to remove one wheel lock, 2 won't be an issue either!

Just seen the lock n level system. At this minute we would need the twin plus single due to the pitch we are on.

I've also seen the powrtouch outfit relocation of the spare wheel. Reading fully the specs of both purpleline and powrtouch the powrtouch is really a far better product.

The only thing I could not find were dimensions and ground clearances.

When we set off we pulled into the garage to get all tyres checked but it was awkward to get out of due to a kerb. Our mover fitted was going to get hit first if we mouted the kerb but we never had that issue with the last one due to good clearances.

At the start of this thread I was pretty miffed that they had removed all of the Alko stuff without talking to us first. Was more so after reading the powrtouch instructions stating that they 'should info customers of removal of items first'.

Now I'll be happy if they just fit the relocation kit and the original powrtouch. Then I can get the lock n level kit afterwards.

But miffed I've got to take it back to them as we are on holiday at the minute and really want this sorted now rather than later.

Just seen the lock n level system. At this minute we would need the twin plus single due to the pitch we are on.

I've also seen the powrtouch outfit relocation of the spare wheel. Reading fully the specs of both purpleline and powrtouch the powrtouch is really a far better product.

When we set off we pulled into the garage to get all tyres checked but it was awkward to get out of due to a kerb. Our mover fitted was going to get hit first if we mouted the kerb but we never had that issue with the last one due to good clearances.

At the start of this thread I was pretty miffed that they had removed all of the Alko stuff without talking to us first. Was more so after reading the powrtouch instructions stating that they 'should info customers of removal of items first'.

Now I'll be happy if they just fit the relocation kit and the original powrtouch. Then I can get the lock n level kit afterwards.

But miffed I've got to take it back to them as we are on holiday at the minute and really want this sorted now rather than later.

There are very interesting threads on here of both Powrtouch and Lock-N-Level

Pete

I have the powertouch and the ground clearance is pretty good because it sits high up on the chassis. It is a really neat set up,and I wouldn't have any other even if they were cheaper.

Ok just a quick update.

Lock n level ordered now ordered.

Contacted dealer this morning ref mover and a couple of issues we are also having. No big issues just niggles.

They confirmed wrong mover is fitted. Whether it was an accident or something else I'll never know. Our Alde expansion tank has a defect so they are ordering a spare and then when all parts arrive I can take it back to them in the morning and collect later that day. With all little faults fixed and a correct mover.

Thanks all for your comments and letting me know it is possible to keep the spare under the caravan. It'll now free up quite a bit of space which we were ideally going to use for storing our deckchairs etc.

IanT599

Have you had weight upgrade,and if so, what to.

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

Hi, we had a mover fitted to a twin axle Elddis avante, they where the power touch twin axle but not the 4 wheel drive version, just 2 movers fitted at the front of the double axle. ...nothing removed and it works a treat, a little slower than the 4wd set up but work fine.

Who fitted yours, don't sound very reputable as the purple line are much cheaper. ....hope you didn't pay for powrtouch. ...?

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

IanT599

Have you had weight upgrade,and if so, what to.

We did order it although the paperwork etc didn't come from Compass in time for collection.

It should take it from 1730kg to 1800kg we've beem told.

Hi, we had a mover fitted to a twin axle Elddis avante, they where the power touch twin axle but not the 4 wheel drive version, just 2 movers fitted at the front of the double axle. ...nothing removed and it works a treat, a little slower than the 4wd set up but work fine.

Who fitted yours, don't sound very reputable as the purple line are much cheaper. ....hope you didn't pay for powrtouch. ...?

The service I've had so far has been good. We had a small heating issue on holiday and they sent a guy to us to fix it.

When I spoke to them over the mover they called back very apologetic and are arranging to swap.

Like I said before it may have been an accident or not. I'll never know.

The mover was included FOC.

The last dealer I had fought ever issue even down to know Bailey issue. Fought all warranty issues that Bailey were repairing to other vans.

To me this dealer has been great. The guy came to us on holiday. Temp fixed the heating to get us by and ordered all parts required to fix correctly

Edited by IanT599

The service I've had so far has been good. We had a small heating issue on holiday and they sent a guy to us to fix it.

When I spoke to them over the mover they called back very apologetic and are arranging to swap.

Like I said before it may have been an accident or not. I'll never know.

The mover was included FOC.

The last dealer I had fought ever issue even down to know Bailey issue. Fought all warranty issues that Bailey were repairing to other vans.

To me this dealer has been great. The guy came to us on holiday. Temp fixed the heating to get us by and ordered all parts required to fix correctly

As long as their sorting it out that's great. ...r u allowed to say who it is. ...?

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

As long as their sorting it out that's great. ...r u allowed to say who it is. ...?

Praise for any dealership/ service provider or manufacturer is always a welcome and positive contribution to this forum.

Pete