Should We Buy A New Lunar?

JCloughie

We are thinking about buying a 2015 Clubman fixed bed. We think it has a great design. Very impressed. We could have upgraded our mark 1 Valencia for a mark 3 at a very good PX but would much prefer the Lunar.

Question is. As Lunar is still a conventional construction. Is it out of date?

Will we suffer from damp?

Will there be high depreciation?

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Don't have a Lunar just now but I understand it's a similar construction to Swift this year. As for deprecating my Lunars have been no worse OR better than my Swift & Elddis caravans of late.

Buy the caravan that suits you the best, regardless of make or model.

They all have their faults, and any caravan can suffer from damp.

I don't think you have anything to fear regarding residuals, because Lunar's are still popular. Buy what you are happy with and enjoy.

Have been helping my friend set up his Lunar Delta 08 Model this weekend. I liked it a great deal. Seemed to be very well made,if a little old fashioned in places.

We are thinking about buying a 2015 Clubman fixed bed. We think it has a great design. Very impressed. We could have upgraded our mark 1 Valencia for a mark 3 at a very good PX but would much prefer the Lunar.

John

Yes and no - it's still conventional but not out of date as the new construction techiniques are suffering at least as many issues - and importantly, trade-in values aren't any different indicating that the trade doesn't think Lunar are out of date.

Damp seems to occur on example of all types of contruction - the much-vaunted Alutech with no wood in the shell suffered from wet-rot in the floors.

Great info friends, please keep it coming.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Hi john.

We have a 2013 Lexon 640 and we love this van . Construction of lunars changed for the 2014 model year with the introduction of core . They do not have the timber construction anymore.

Olympus. ....

I love our lunar ultima 540 fixed bed, dealer special I thought good value for money, when we bought it we bought because we liked the interior we didn't go looking for a lunar we looked at them all .

Edited by Lozsing

Two top reasons for choosing new caravan

1. You like it and it's design suits you

2. Good dealer.

Maybe that should be

Equal top reasons

Two top reasons for choosing new caravan

1. You like it and it's design suits you

2. Good dealer.

Maybe that should be

Equal top reasons

I agree with the above, especially the importance of a good dealer, who's not too far away.

We have a new Clubman on order. We are also making the move from our 4 yr old Mk 1 Unicorn.

I have a few reservations about the Lunar. ....mainly the way the sides flex when you push against them, and the thickness of the walls.

Other than this it's the layout I'm more concerned with, as we are making the move from 2 berth with loads of room and a large bathroom, to a fixed bed, with a smaller front end, less kitchen space, and a smaller bathroom.

Out of all the makes and models we have seen ( i think we've seen the lot!). The Lunar fitted the bill best.

I particularly like the fact that it still has a conventional front, without the large front window, or the silly plastic 'cockpit type ' plastic assembly that the Swift's have. Alde heating was an absolute must.

The bathroom is large enough to get dressed in, and the van itself looks good.

I think on choosing a new van, you have to make compromises somewhere, and the Lunar, was the model with least compromises for us.

The Unicorn 2&3 just did not fit the bill for us at all, despite us having been very happy with our Mk 1 Seville.

John

We love our Lunar and its construction, but the skylight in the new Lunar puts us off. If you can live with the front Skylight go for it.

Hi john.

We have a 2013 Lexon 640 and we love this van . Construction of lunars changed for the 2014 model year with the introduction of core . They do not have the timber construction anymore.

Olympus. ....

Yes, they do still use traditional construction, including the use of timber! What changed was the introduction of the "honeycomb" type interior wallboard, and the "Core" philosophy (Lunar speak for designing/building caravans).

Having said that, we've got a 2010 model, and whilst it's not the most modern looking thing, it is very well made, and the fit and finish is far better than on many I've seen. Indeed, I have had a good look around the 2015 models of all manufacturers, and whilst underfoot they may feel a bit more solid (slightly thinner floors on Lunar's for weight saving purposes), their fit and finish is second-to-none, whilst they are far, far better than the big two (even ones costing £25,000+ with fancy construction methods!).

Personally, I would have no hesitation going for a 2015 Lunar; indeed I might very soon. Of the eight caravans I've had, this is our second Lunar. We had a 2009 model which was a disaster in many respects, but we stuck with the marque for financial reasons which I will not go into here, and I have absolutely no regrets.

If YOU like the Lunar, and it suits YOUR purpose, then go for it. You will always hear folk slagging off any make, as there will be bad ones made by ALL manufacturers from time to time. A friend of mine is working as a Consultant at a Dealership who sell both Bailey and Swift ranges. He recently told me that they are selling four Swifts to one Bailey, but warranty work is about equal numbers, suggesting that in their experience Bailey are suffering four times the problems that Swift are, and when you see the number of complaints that Swift are getting one way or another, they are hardly covering themselves in glory!

As regards depreciation, it depends how popular they are on the secondhand market, so in that respect their values are holding up very well - better than some with more "modern" methods!

Edited by nigel207

DONT buy a Clubman till you have checked out the spec on the Lunar Ultima, it is more or less the same spec as the Clubman but is thousands cheaper.

The only thing my 2013 Ultima has not got that the clubman has is the blue light under the cooker & a few other nick knacks that I can well do without,

Try Robinsons caravans, special editions & check the spec against the Clubman.

As for what make to buy, I have had my fair share of problems with some of the equipment fitted in the van but the integrity is fine, & it tows really well, all vans have something that happens, I met someone last week with a year old Coachman VIP that was riddled with damp so really it is all a matter of luck.

I was at robinsons worksop 2 weeks ago had a ultima 540 2014 brand new 17,000 without the horrible skylight

Lunar Lexon 540 2014 Caravan ThumbnailMore info. ..

Details >>

was £20,290 Price £16,999 save £3,291 Location: WorksopLunar Lexon 540 2014 CHEAPEST IN UK DON'T DELAY !!!4 BerthEnd WashroomFixed Bed3 year warrantyLunar Lexon 540 2014 Caravan layout

Edited by Lozsing

DONT buy a Clubman till you have checked out the spec on the Lunar Ultima, it is more or less the same spec as the Clubman but is thousands cheaper.

The only thing my 2013 Ultima has not got that the clubman has is the blue light under the cooker & a few other nick knacks that I can well do without,

Try Robinsons caravans, special editions & check the spec against the Clubman.

As for what make to buy, I have had my fair share of problems with some of the equipment fitted in the van but the integrity is fine, & it tows really well, all vans have something that happens, I met someone last week with a year old Coachman VIP that was riddled with damp so really it is all a matter of luck.

Hi the OP said he wanted alde heating, with the current heating systems in caravans the only one worth having is alde. I will second what others have said about Lunar I have had other makes but my Lunar is far and away a better van than any of my others. The very last manufacturer on my list would be Bailey having got rid of a right pile of junk in my last van.

Terry.

Didn't realise that, my 2013 model has got Alde heating but I do understand that the 2015 model is blown air, tougher call to make in that case.

I had a Clubman ES (2011) and it wasn't a successful van.

The list of defects was long and complicated. The main ones were two very serious damp issues, 100% round the kitchen window was one, and 60% round the toiler waste tank was another. Also the back panel had to be renewed due to cracks.

The number of minor issues were numerous, trim falling off, doors warped etc. When I part exchanged the van it felt as if the floor in the bathroom was delaminating.

I have had seven brand new vans and the Lunar was dreadful I would never buy another. The build quality just isn't there on the Lunar Clubman.

On the positive side they, and the dealer, were very good with warranty, and everything was fixed, except the suspected delamination.

My present van is a Coachman and it is 1000% better in all departments.

Hi superjock I had a 2003 Coachman and that needed both New front and back. Went back to the factory twice. If you look at 2nd hand ones at the dealers ones around that age have cracks from the awning rail caused by the screws holding the rail not being counter sunk. As others have said good and bad in all vans.

TERRY

As others have said you can save yourself a few bob by opting for a dealer special Lunar. Each dealer's spec. is different, but they generally are Quasar and Lexon range vans kitted out up to Clubman standard for a lot less money than a Clubman.

Obviously the Quasar based vans won't be as wide as a Clubman, but we don't notice a few inches less.

They also have individual decals and upholstery fabrics and in the case of current Sussex vans there's ATC and a Dometic part ceramic toilet as standard as well as the Clubman bits.

If you can do without gurgling Alde, fancy some luxury fittings and some exclusivity with your van (my Amberley is one of only three made) and the fixed bed version is named after the lovely Sussex village of Donnington, not to be confused with Donington in Derbyshire where the race circuit is.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

When considering dealer specials, like Robinsons Ultima, you need to factor in that there's no discount on a dealer special but you can probably get 15% on a Clubman - and the dealer special will be valued as a Quasar/Lexon at trade-in time.

Lexon 540 19500, ultima 540 £900 more but about 3 times that in extras, blinds, atc, alde, different upholstery, etc

Lexon 540 19500, ultima 540 £900 more but about 3 times that in extras, blinds, atc, alde, different upholstery, etc

Don't forget Omnivent, auto gas changeover, barbecue point, front & rear LED, s behind grab handles, offside LED above water & electric inlet points, wire baskets under cutlery drawer,

There must be more Loz but I can't remember them all this time of night.