New Or Nearly New

Happy Jack

We are looking at changing our 2007 caravan. We are pretty new to caravanning having always had folding campers in the past.

With all the new build methods in the last few years is it better to get new or nearly new - what are the pros and cons?

For me -new,but only if you can afford it. I tend to take the view that if you can afford it then you should. There may come a time when you can't.

All the new methods of construction are superior . I had a 1999 swift before my Orion and went looking for a replacement in 2012 and realised vans of 2008 ish were built the same way as my old one. Bought a brand spanking new van with the view to keeping it lomg term and have no regrets.

The problem with buying new is the value drops by 20% as soon as you drive it off of the forecourt.

New vans water ingress warrantee is only valid if the van is serviced annually by a recognised dealer and that’s expensive!

Older wood framed construction techniques are fine as long as an owner accepts that the non-setting mastic used to seal windows and joints lasts for approximately 7 years before it starts to dry out. Renewing the sealant is not that difficult to do, it’s a DIY job and by so doing the van will last indefinitely.

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

For me -new,but only if you can afford it. I tend to take the view that if you can afford it then you should. There may come a time when you can't.

All the new methods of construction are superior . I had a 1999 swift before my Orion and went looking for a replacement in 2012 and realised vans of 2008 ish were built the same way as my old one. Bought a brand spanking new van with the view to keeping it lomg term and have no regrets.

But if you bought nearly new, you'd suffer less depreciation and considerably delay the "time when you can't".

The new methods of construction don't seem to have any effect on trade-in values - suggesting the older constructions are just as good.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Take the long term view. ...A new van now with a 10 year warranty Will give you peace of mind for the duration. If you buy used then you have a much older van in 10 years time. I personally feel the new construction methods will become the norm and vans with wooden frames,particularly older ones will shed their value quicker. Having said that, you only lose money when you sell it, and if you plan not to sell it then it's not an issue!

Consider other options. . A year old van will have depreciated quite a bit and if you can find one that's had little use then that is excellent value, new but not new, if you see what I mean.

new, but last year's new - i. e. , we bought our "new" unused 'van early this year, but it was a 2013 model - saved over £4 grand, as it was last years, but still brand new. . did the same when i bought the last car - was Pre-Registered - so saved almost £11 grand off list, as i was the 2nd owner, altho it only had 23 miles on the clock, and hadn't left the dealers!

unless there was something i REALLY wanted in the spec, i don't think i would buy "new"

Al.

Nearly new (1-2 yrs) is the best option value-wise as you get the newest technology plus a warranty from the manufacturer. Our 2 year old Olympus cost me £7000 less than the equivalent new model, granted I only get the last year of the warranty but the saving would pay for any repairs and still leave me in profit, and the reality is that most issues are likely to relate to water ingress anyway which has a much longer warranty. Any initial build issues will have been sorted by the first owner so there's little to go wrong really. Our kids are growing up so at some point we will probably want a smaller fixed bed van for just the two of us, so buying new now wouldn't make any sense as we will definitely change the van in a few years.

Personally I would go for nearly new, at least if there were any problems from the first owner hopefully they would of rectified them. I was lucky when we bought our caravan, the person who had it before me bought two memory foam mattresses, fitted a solar panel, added a electric socket for the awning and he also added a external satellite near the battery box. Wished he'd fitted a motor mover which I added in August.

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

I asked that question, he only had it a year then traded it in for a Lunar clubman sb. .... Exactly the same lay out but bigger. ... More money than sense if you ask me. ... His loss, my gain. .. 😊

Edited by gooney1971

One thing to be aware of with the nearly new is warranty, and the cost to transfer. Always make sure you see a properly stamped service book and confirm with the manufacturer that it has been recorded and service is up to date, before you part with the money. Any assurances by the dealer that all is well are not worth a dime. Any dealer that will not hold the van for you until you have the above confirmed in writing is hiding something so walk away. Things like "it's in the post. yes it has a stamped book but the owner forgot it and is bring it in next week e. t. c." are worth absolutely nothing when you get the £3k bill for damp repairs in the future.

Swift advertise the ten year body warranty for example. BUT this only applies to the new owner and the last 4 years cannot be transferred to a new owner.

Don't know about other manufacturers but it has caused a few 'words' on Swift Talk. Swift have so far refused to justify why this should be so with a van that has a proper service record and they still will not allow the transfer of the last 4 years to the new owner.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I got a years warranty from the dealer, all the paper work and it was damp tested in 2013. I have a copy of the service sheet, and other paper work from the person who last owned it. I had no pressure from the dealer, he left us alone a lot of the time so we could discuss things between me and the wife. He said just come and see me in the office when you have decided, we went to one dealer where all the caravans were locked. .. So everytime you wanted to have a look you had to go and find him to get the keys. .. Then he would stay with you while you looked. .. Didn't like that, so we went else where.