Traffic Reports

Halohodge

Listening to Radio 2 yesterday and the traffic reports, does anybody pay heed to the information and make alternative routes on the back of the announcements, I was a HGV driver before I retired and I don't think I diverted at all during that time, more often than not, buy the time you got to the delays it had already been cleared, same with the overhead gantry signs, they seem either wrong or give misleading information.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

I usually find if I come off the motorway to avoid traffic so has everyone else so all the other roads are just as busy so I just stay on the motorway and wait it out.

Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto - Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona

I listen to the travel reports on our local BBC radio. A few days ago they gave a warning about an accident that was blocking one of our local roads, but I was doing 50 at that time along the stretch of road they mentioned and there was no sign of an accident or any delays. Sometimes I think people call in with reports of incidents that are fiction.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I often work away and Mrs T keeps me up with M5/M25 hold ups using the traffic speed sites online. If a really bad one pops up (especially in Summer) it can mean avoiding hours stuck on the motorway. She rings me up on the hands free with an escape route if necessary because you are trapped once you are on the motorway if it grinds completely to a halt.

They haven't been the same since Sally Traffic left the afternoon slot, can't trust these young things!!!:)

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

I used to be an M25 commuter and the traffic reports could save me hours of queuing if you got them in time.

Once we got one and acted upon it by diverting of the M6 and we managed to get to the wedding we were heading to where several others didn't as they were sitting in the queue.

In this day and age both they and the matrix signs should be significantly more accurate and up to date than they are.

We were on the M25 near Heathrow last week and the variable speed limit signs were random. Some were on, others were off over one or more lanes, the speed limit varied and the traffic just slowed down a bit as it approached the gantry, went under and then toed it off again until the next one so they weren't really doing much to improve the flow.

Gantry signs with stupid sayings like "think bike" or "don't drink and drive" annoy me when they could be giving much more meaningful and useful information.

Sometimes I feel that info is lacking to ensure that the traffic stays trapped on the motorway rather than clogging up the surrounding roads

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Dynamic Motorway gantry signs are often a lottery. Sometimes accurate and useful, but all too often they are outdated warnings of events long since cleared. However if it is possible to divert off of a Motorway before the jam I will do so.

My most useful and reliable tool is my Garmin Sat Nav which incorporates real time dynamic traffic flow information. It warns of congestion ahead and estimates how long my journey will be delayed if I decide to join the queue of slow moving or stationary traffic. It also offers alternative routing which I can choose to accept or ignore, at my peril.

A few months ago at around 22:45 I was returning to London from the Kent coast on near empty roads, happily zipping along with my cruise control set at 70mph. As I approached the beginning of the M2 my Garmin quiet suddenly indicated that I should turn off and take the A2. That was unusual, there is normally plenty of notice. The Garmin indicated an 18 mile jam and a three hour delay if I continued on my existing route. :o

I accepted the rerouting and enjoyed an uninterrupted journey home. A friend who left the same venue, but five minutes after me did not have the benefit of my Garmin and continued down the M2 for approximately one mile before having to stop. He had joined what turned out to be a 15 mile queue of traffic, caused by a serious incident on the M2, (I believe it was a lorry fire) he called me on his mobile and told me he was stationary and sitting on the central crash barrier chatting to others all with their engines turned off and stuck in the same jam going nowhere. He updated me the following day and had suffered a 2. 5 hour delay. :(

A Sat Nav with real time dynamic traffic flow info feature is not expensive and a very necessary piece of kit with today’s road conditions. ;)

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

From personal experience radio reports are generally a little late, I agree #8 a good connected sat nav is essential if driving solo now. My better half checks the Internet as problems arise on route . .. aren't smartphones a wonderful thing :)

Edited by PaulR

As a matter of interest, there was a bit of caravan bashing on the Ken Bruce show yesterday with a few sarcastic comments from listeners, to be fair to Bruce he read them out but did not make any comments himself.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia