Truma Gas Regulator Model 0129401 And Similar - Warning

Rod A

I recently arrived on a pitch and set up my 2008 caravan, when I turned on the gas bottle I noticed a smell of gas. After investigation I found gas was leaking from a small yellow plastic plug in the side of my Truma regulator.

There was nothing I could do so I used electricity for the rest of my stay. On arriving home I contacted Truma regarding the leak and they said:

“Yes, we know about this problem, we’ve redesigned the regulator to overcome it. Your regulator is out of warranty so you will have to purchase a new one”.

Had the leak occurred whilst we were asleep it could have been fatal.

I've never heard of this problem and am concerned that it appears there has been no recall or announcement from the manufacturer about it.

See the attachment for a picture of the regulator in question.

post-36929-0-89650500-1412418609_thumb.jpg

It is fairly well documented on this site that their regulators are at least double the price of many other makes but only last a third of the time. ...

This doesn't come as a surprise, sadly. :(

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Hi Rod A,

I had a similar occurrence several years ago in my then 2006 Swift Challenger 480. I returned to our non-EHU CS in Mid-Wales after a day's hike to find a smell of gas, which I then traced to the yellow plastic plug you have referred to - of course the gas had been left on to power the fridge. It had lost nearly half the gas in the 6kg canister. Fortunately nobody had strolled past the caravan with a lighted cigarette!

Luckily I was carrying a spare regulator (there was a lot of talk at the time of blockages) and was able to fit this and continue our stay. When I took the offending regulator back to my dealer they sent it to Truma for analysis, but Truma just said the problem was caused by a plastic deposit. I have always wondered why this aspect of the issue was not more publicised at the time. Having a blockage is one thing - having a substantial leak is much more serious and potentially dangerous.

Anyway I now always carry a spare regulator - but haven't yet had to use it since then. Our subsequent caravan is a Coachman 460/2 (2011), which has the regulator fitted higher on the bulkhead, which is supposed to be a cure for the blockage problem.

Cheers

Paul R T

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that.

One line of theory says it contaminants in the gas bottles that is the problem whilst another says you should fit stainless steel pipes!

My regulator is already fitted above the bottles so any contaminants should be running back into the bottle.

Whatever the cause you would think the manufacturer should bring this to the notice of customers or do a recall as they would for cars.

But then, this is the caravan industry !

Rod

I recently arrived on a pitch and set up my 2008 caravan, when I turned on the gas bottle I noticed a smell of gas. After investigation I found gas was leaking from a small yellow plastic plug in the side of my Truma regulator.

There was nothing I could do so I used electricity for the rest of my stay. On arriving home I contacted Truma regarding the leak and they said:

“Yes, we know about this problem, we’ve redesigned the regulator to overcome it. Your regulator is out of warranty so you will have to purchase a new one”.

Had the leak occurred whilst we were asleep it could have been fatal.

I've never heard of this problem and am concerned that it appears there has been no recall or announcement from the manufacturer about it.

See the attachment for a picture of the regulator in question.

I would contact the dealer and nicely ask them if it is possible to fit the replacement at cost as it is an inherent fault under Sale of Goods Act and clearly a dangerous fault. You can only try.

There is an alternative Cleese unit which we fitted into our previous caravan and it is less prone to going faulty. It is also significantly cheaper than the Truma model.

Unfortunately I purchased the caravan privately when it was two years old.

I've ordered a regulator from Gaslow as that will fit onto my changeover gauge which is from that company.

Unfortunately I purchased the caravan privately when it was two years old.

I've ordered a regulator from Gaslow as that will fit onto my changeover gauge which is from that company.

Why not go the whole hog and get the gaslow system, this is the cleese regulator and a stainless hose giving you a five year warrantee.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)