Insurance Costs For Tugs

milkymarsh

Just got my renewal through for the new tug and nearly fell off my chair.

For the touareg the annual renewal came in at £776 or £803 if monthly! Went to one website and for the same level of cover I could get it for £454 or £499 monthly. (For me its a bit higher than others as I need 15k pa and full business use cover too)

That's a massive difference for the same cover, and it wasn't advertised as a promotional rate either.

Anyone else had vast differences in their insurance prices?

Range Rover Sport - renewed in January - existing insurer £987 - used a comparison site £398 - the madness is that both quotes were from the same insurer - there's no price for loyalty!

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

Yes there are some remarkably large discrepancies when getting quotes. I have no idea why this should be the case apart from being promotional offers. I never renew an existing policy as I'm pretty sure that after the first year the insurance companies load up the policy assuming the customer can't be bothered with the hassle of shopping around. A favourite ploy is auto renewal, you actually need to opt out of that with some companies which is ridiculous. What I do is search around and even get a quote from the company I've just been with but as a new customer, saved a fortune over the years doing that. As far as monthly payments are concerned why not take out an interest free credit card and divide the payments to suit over the year, that way you won't be paying more?

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Does it proove to be alot more than the merc?

Negligible between the two tbh. Maybe 20 quid more

Bizarrely this year Hastings (current insurer) is still the cheapest this year. Still did the usual comparison site trawl to confirm.

Caravan Club £257 Swinton,who have been after my business, £547. Go compare, nothing even

near it!

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

A favourite ploy is auto renewal, you actually need to opt out of that with some companies which is ridiculous.

Yes indeed! I got caught out on that one by LV= of all companies with my house insurance renewal a few years back, which I'd set up for auto renewal while we were in Australia for 3 months. I discovered when we got home that they'd bumped it up from £250 to over £400, by which time it was too late to challenge them. The following year I negotiated it down to less than the original £250. Now none of my policies are auto-renewed, it is less convenient but a lot kinder on the pocket!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Tesco fully comp with maximum years no claim for my 2014 CRV is £212 😆😆

Depends where you live and if you keep it garaged overnight helps to keep the premiums down

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Just this second renewed mine, thought I would try Hastings Direct for the Merc, £178 Fully Comp protected NCD, 90 days European cover too, impressed!!

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

When we shop around and get a quote that is reasonable, the first thing I do is do a check to see what sort of complaints there have been regarding claims. On one vehicle we had an excellent quote, but research showed that many people had issues when doing a claim. We paid a slightly higher priced for a better quality service in case of a claim. We never auto renew as wise to their tricks. One car is with Saga and the Jeep with Tesco.

Been with Tesco for 3 years now as consistently the cheapest. Obviously as previously stated area you live, garaged or not alter premiums as does your claim history. However, in my opinion it's how well the company deal with any claims which decide whether I'll go with them or not! For example, wouldn't touch Aviva (or any of its subsidiaries) with a bargepole.

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

Just this second renewed mine, thought I would try Hastings Direct for the Merc, £178 Fully Comp protected NCD, 90 days European cover too, impressed!!

Phil.

Aye trust you to find a cheap quote !!!!

Typical Yorkshire Thrift 😆😆😆😆😇

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Caravan Club £257 Swinton,who have been after my business, £547. Go compare, nothing even

near it!

Wow - CC have always been nearer £1000 for me, for just the towcar.

I have my towcar, a mazda MX-5 and my wife's Yaris on a multicar policy with Aviva - costs £450 or so for all three.

Tesco fully comp with maximum years no claim for my 2014 CRV is £212

Depends where you live and if you keep it garaged overnight helps to keep the premiums down

Three years ago, I queried mine, if I parked it overnight on the drive it was cheaper, reason being, if it's stored in the garage, they see it as a high probability that you will drop something on it, Ladder, Tin of Pant, or just scrape it getting something past it.

Well today has been useful whilst holed up at home. So we started the day with direct line on a renewal at £803 (monthly).

In the usual trawl round plus comparison websites, its brought back the following:

Tesco £472

M&s £413

John Lewis £416

Axa (which bizarrely insure through m&s) £473

CClub £476

In ringing direct line to cancel, it was amazing that they dropped the price to £616

All excesses the same, business use and 15k pa.

When I changed the jeep for to the Rio tesco gave no reduction and then wanted £500 for renewal which was what I was paying for the jeep

It's now insured with Churchill for £190

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

Been with Tesco for 3 years now as consistently the cheapest. Obviously as previously stated area you live, garaged or not alter premiums as does your claim history. However, in my opinion it's how well the company deal with any claims which decide whether I'll go with them or not! For example, wouldn't touch Aviva (or any of its subsidiaries) with a bargepole.

Whereas aviva is the first company we have stayed with for three years. Addmitedly there was a cheaper option in year two, by about £20 but poorer reputation etc so stayed. Year three came up and we have an ongoing claim that just made the renewal process too complicated and we reluctantly stayed put. We wil bel looking very hard next year as £700 SEEMS a lot for our two motors. I accept we are young and wild and park on the mean streets of silsden but it seems a bit harsh compared to Phil who spends most of the year in Spain with his top of the range Mercedes and the rest of the time dodging the Land rover militia. Edited by AlfaEuropa

Alfa. Just got a multi car quote from admiral for the new tug and swmbo's golf diesel. £495 in one lump sum, or £540 if monthly.

Liking that. Even cheaper than last years merc and golf combo!

Edited by milkymarsh

Whereas aviva is the first company we have stayed with for three years. Addmitedly there was a cheaper option in year two, by about £20 but poorer reputation etc so stayed. Year three came up and we have an ongoing claim that just made the renewal process too complicated and we reluctantly stayed put. We wil bel looking very hard next year as £700 SEEMS a lot for our two motors. I accept we are young and wild and park on the mean streets of silsden but it seems a bit harsh compared to Phil who spends most of the year in Spain with his top of the range Mercedes and the rest of the time dodging the Land rover militia.

My wife has been with Aviva for years. I do check the price from time to time, but its always been within about £20 or £30 of the cheapest from the comparison sites.

When I got a car (previously had a company car), they matched her NCD over to me. And when I got a fun car (a Mazda MX-5) they again gave me full NCD. We now have the three cars on one multicar policy, and renewals seem fair and competitive.

My wife has been with Aviva for years. I do check the price from time to time, but its always been within about £20 or £30 of the cheapest from the comparison sites.

When I got a car (previously had a company car), they matched her NCD over to me. And when I got a fun car (a Mazda MX-5) they again gave me full NCD. We now have the three cars on one multicar policy, and renewals seem fair and competitive.

Maybe you are one of the lucky ones tigger. Aviva Tried that last year and the costs went from 700 to 1250, with no claims in the year, no changes to vehicles either

Maybe you are one of the lucky ones tigger. Aviva Tried that last year and the costs went from 700 to 1250, with no claims in the year, no changes to vehicles either

Wow! I guess we meet some profile they like.

My broker got me a very good deal from Aviva :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)