Sniffing For Damp

chad

My son has just collected his Pegasus Gt65 after its first service at a dealer near Maidstone. As there were no damp readings recorded, he enquired about this he was told they do not carry out a damp check as it is not necessary. Asking how then do you know if there is damp he was advised that Bailey instruct dealers to enter the van and sniff for damp. He has just paid £248. 00 for this incredulous information.

Needless to say he will never go back again.

He also has E-mailed Bailey to ascertain the correct sniffing procedure. This would be laughable if it wasn't so serious !!

What do dealers do when we entrust them to carry out professional servicing.

He only recently purchased the van after it had the toilet floor replaced due to damp which it's not necessary to check for!!

LOL. .. This is utter rubbish you have been told. You need a proper NCC type damp check. These vans are well known for the damp issues.

If they are happy not to damp check ask them to write this on the service sheet. otherwise if it comes to making a damp claim they will just say damp check was not performed at customer request and you have no warranty.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

If it's the dealer that's based in Harrietsham I had a similar problem with a van quite a few years ago and have never darkened their door step again. :angry:

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Sounds like the dealer does not properly understand alu-tech construction! These vans require a different approach to conventional vans. The fibreglass inner skin means that the traditional approach of sticking probes into the inner skin does not produce a meaningful result. There are places that should be checked and every competant caravan engineer knows where and how.

We had a serious damp problem that was discovered at an annual service but we never smelt damp in our van nor did our friends who also caravan so it just goes to show don't just rely on the "sniff test."

I suspect that the dealer you are referring to is the one we bought our van from and who service the van.

I would like to know

1) What do other dealers do?

2) How would you feel if

A) You found out that your dealer did not service your van as per the manufacturers schedule, or

B) You were told by your dealer that the charge for your service was more than the normal dealer price because the dealer felt that more work was necessary

As a Bailey customer I feel that Bailey has lost the plot - but as they are apparently selling shed loads of vans. ...

I judge this dealer by my own experiences which I believe are very favourable. ....

Bailey Unicorn Valencia v1 with MAX Upgrade + POWR HD mover with roller upgrade + ALDE 3010-246 + Al-Ko ATC Display
Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD