Sutton Bank

Heading to North Yorkshire (Flamingo Land) this weekend from near Newcastle. Sat nav says come off A19 at Thirsk and go Sutton Bank. I've read that caravans are banned? Is this a recommendation or a legal ban? I'm sure my car could get up, its got 300 hp and oodles of torque. Obviously, if its a legal prohibition then i won't go that way. Other option is over the top via Stokesley - Helmsley - Pickering but roads don't look great on Google maps?

Any advice please?

thanks.

Heading to North Yorkshire (Flamingo Land) this weekend from near Newcastle. Sat nav says come off A19 at Thirsk and go Sutton Bank. I've read that caravans are banned? Is this a recommendation or a legal ban? I'm sure my car could get up, its got 300 hp and oodles of torque. Obviously, if its a legal prohibition then i won't go that way. Other option is over the top via Stokesley - Helmsley - Pickering but roads don't look great on Google maps?

Any advice please?

thanks.

Its illegal to use Sutton Bank if your towing a caravan, there is a clearly signposted alternative caravan route signposted from Thirsk

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

I am pretty sure caravans are still prohibited

https://www. google. co. uk/maps/@54. 2315349,-1. 2945805,3a,17. 5y,77. 41h,86. 92t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sfK0q9cC2NZTttdyNZXSMxQ!2e0

We go over to Helmsley every Easter and the caravan route avoiding Sutton Bank is fine. We are coming up the A1 from the south and come off at J49 and joun the A19

We also go to Helmsley every Easter, from Bishop Auckland. The Stokesley to Helmsley road isn't bad at all. I prefer it to the "official" caravan route which takes you from South of Thirsk through Ampleforth.

Jim

Lunar Clubman SE Towed by Vauxhall Vivaro containing 6 border collies

Just come down it this morning. ..someone with a caravan turning round in farm gateway at bottom. ...why they didn't read the signs three miles back I don't know. ....

Yes we all have cars that we know will pull. ...but if you get behind a horse box on a tractor doing 5mph or a LGV doing 15 mph and using all his 'splitters' you can have real trouble!

The caravan route through Coxwold and Ampleforth can be a bit of a nightmare if the bread vans etc are delivering, frankly it is my least loved road anywhere. ...but there are no real options other than to go Southabout through York and up the A64 to Eden Camp. ....or to go almost to the coast and climb Birk Brow and the Whitby Moor Road. ..The Stokesley to Helmsley Road is great for motorbikes and they use it by the million!...I do sometimes come back that way for a change. ..

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

great, thanks for your help. Stokesley - Helmsley it is then!

go via York, some of the hills on the detour route are mini Sutton banks and the villages are very narrow in parts.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

Just come down it this morning. ..someone with a caravan turning round in farm gateway at bottom. ...why they didn't read the signs three miles back I don't know. ....

Yes we all have cars that we know will pull. ...but if you get behind a horse box on a tractor doing 5mph or a LGV doing 15 mph and using all his 'splitters' you can have real trouble!

The caravan route through Coxwold and Ampleforth can be a bit of a nightmare if the bread vans etc are delivering, frankly it is my least loved road anywhere. ...but there are no real options other than to go Southabout through York and up the A64 to Eden Camp. ....or to go almost to the coast and climb Birk Brow and the Whitby Moor Road. ..The Stokesley to Helmsley Road is great for motorbikes and they use it by the million!...I do sometimes come back that way for a change. ..

geoff

Take note of shipbroker advise . ..............i went too Flamingo land in July and did the above route Coxwold/Ampleforth and fun and games with my outfit down them lanes .

The A64 Route is a much easier option for caravans by far .

Saying that the it was a lovely scenic route through Coxwold/Ampleforth.

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

go via York, some of the hills on the detour route are mini Sutton banks and the villages are very narrow in parts.

Thats what caravans are for. ..and he has a good car!

Newcastle to Flamingoland via Stokesley & Clay Bank ec. ...84 miles

via York A64 107 miles

via Caravan Route 93 miles

geoff

I definitely couldn't be bothered detouring via York.

If you go round the top (shorter route), the ring road can be a nightmare. Going all the way down to the A64 is a long way!

We've done the caravan detour (travelling west to east) with no problems. But if the Stokesley to Helmsley road is recommended by people in the know I would try that as it looks good for your route.

1973 drove a Hillman Hunter 1500cc + Thomson Glenelg up Sutton Bank---foolhardy????

1990 ish employee drove a Leyland Octopus + 20tons of grain up Sutton Bank--F----g idiot---sacked when found out.

When going to Scarborough from the north I found the road via Guisburgh as easy as any. Kids found the tunnel scary.

Remember it well, I had to turn back after missing the first sign way back in the early 90's towing my Sprite Major with the SD1 Vitesse.

We finished up at Thirkleby Hall, don't know if they still take caravans but during the night my alarm went off and the peacocks were going mental.

BTW I remember we also purchased a large flower tub complete with flowers at a local garden centre.

I placed it during our stay just in front of the caravan and got a few comments like "oh! here's one with his own garden"

The Vitesse boot was deep enough to carry the flower tub home safely.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

1973 drove a Hillman Hunter 1500cc + Thomson Glenelg up Sutton Bank---foolhardy????

1990 ish employee drove a Leyland Octopus + 20tons of grain up Sutton Bank--F----g idiot---sacked when found out.

When going to Scarborough from the north I found the road via Guisburgh as easy as any. Kids found the tunnel scary.

I've been up Sutton Bank with an Artic about 12 years past weighing in at 40 tons with a 460 BHP MAN and it wasn't an experience I would like to repeat .

Stopped at the layby at the bottom and selected 2nd Low, lifted the middle axle for maximum traction on the drive axle and crawled up at 5-6mph with loads of cars behind me :):) .

TBH I'm surprised HGV's have not been banned

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

TBH I'm surprised HGV's have not been banned

There is recent talk of them being forced to use the Guisborough or Whitby routes as so many have broken down here. ....we just missed 24 tonnes of steel one morning. ..shut the road for 2 days. ..

geoff

Is Sutton bank the a170 from thirsk?

Not driven it personally but if I hadn't read this topic and my sat nav took me that way I don't see why vans are banned from it. Just looks like a steep hill to me bit nothing special from looking at google maps.

Is Sutton bank the a170 from thirsk?

Not driven it personally but if I hadn't read this topic and my sat nav took me that way I don't see why vans are banned from it. Just looks like a steep hill to me bit nothing special from looking at google maps.

Believe you me it's a lot steeper than you think and the hair pin bend half way up catches a lot unawares

I have been a tugger for many years and believe me, the easy route is always the best. Even if its a bit longer and more expensive on fuel, it is far less stressful on the mind and reduces the risk of accidents. I have had one bad accident in 35 yrs of towing and it was not my fault, I was rear ended by a truck that didn't stop in time so anyone can have an accident.

The towing of a caravan is not that easy, even for experienced tuggers so if in doubt, take the easy route and breath and arrive a little later but safe. In fact what we used to do, before we decided to go for a Motorhome, was to leave early, drive slower and take the easiest route. Job done and fewer risks involved. It also protects our reputation by not giving the Jeremy Clarksons of the world and excuse to moan.

Anyone can prove they are a good driver by taking small risks and getting away with it, but other road users are far less forgiving in their thoughts. In closing if you think you can get up and more importantly DOWN Sutton bank and at the same time enjoy your drive, you need a lobotomy. All you will do is ramp up the fuel bill by overloading the car with stress, run the risk of an accident and pi$$ other road users off by causing a tailback. The secondary route mentioned is doable but has its risks and stresses, but the longer and easier option is always the best, regardless of your driving skills.

Sadly its the attitude of the brave and overly confident tuggers, that give caravanners a bad rep on the road. Be aware of whats out there and plan accordingly for a safe drive. Its better in the long run.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

Good reply. glad you mentioned coming DOWN. .can be hairy just in a car. ......

I was in one that burned a clutch out stuck behind a tractor. .wasn't the driver but that didn't matter!

Geoff

I have been a tugger for many years and believe me, the easy route is always the best. Even if its a bit longer and more expensive on fuel, it is far less stressful on the mind and reduces the risk of accidents. I have had one bad accident in 35 yrs of towing and it was not my fault, I was rear ended by a truck that didn't stop in time so anyone can have an accident.

The towing of a caravan is not that easy, even for experienced tuggers so if in doubt, take the easy route and breath and arrive a little later but safe. In fact what we used to do, before we decided to go for a Motorhome, was to leave early, drive slower and take the easiest route. Job done and fewer risks involved. It also protects our reputation by not giving the Jeremy Clarksons of the world and excuse to moan.

Anyone can prove they are a good driver by taking small risks and getting away with it, but other road users are far less forgiving in their thoughts. In closing if you think you can get up and more importantly DOWN Sutton bank and at the same time enjoy your drive, you need a lobotomy. All you will do is ramp up the fuel bill by overloading the car with stress, run the risk of an accident and pi$$ other road users off by causing a tailback. The secondary route mentioned is doable but has its risks and stresses, but the longer and easier option is always the best, regardless of your driving skills.

Sadly its the attitude of the brave and overly confident tuggers, that give caravanners a bad rep on the road. Be aware of whats out there and plan accordingly for a safe drive. Its better in the long run.

Sampvt, I agree with most of what you say and the weekend before last we added about 30 mins to our journey (normal journey time would be 1 hour) to avoid a narrow, twisty, steep road (it was part of Le Grand Depart and we've seen the problems that cars and bike mixing on this road cause, let alone caravans).

The only bit I'd disagree with is the "drive slower". You probably meant, drive to the conditions and road. There are plenty of A and B roads where a caravan should be doing the 50mph limit, as it is safe to do so. I'd say it's the 'vans doing 40 - 45 on these type of roads that cause most ire in other motorists.

I don't think I'd have any worries going up. Perhaps if I only had a weedy 2wd small diesel in manual then I wouldn't try it. But having 4wd 500nm torque and an auto box I think I would make it up quite easily. If it wasn't illegal that is.

Coming down would be a different story altogether though. ...

I don't think I'd have any worries going up. Perhaps if I only had a weedy 2wd small diesel in manual then I wouldn't try it. But having 4wd 500nm torque and an auto box I think I would make it up quite easily. If it wasn't illegal that is.

Coming down would be a different story altogether though. ...

Not sure what your van is CMA, but unless your 4wd can turn it back on itself whilst crawling up a 1 in 4 gradient I very much doubt if you would "make it up easily". I live fairly local to sutton bank & believe me, it has the sharpest hairpin bend I have ever driven round ! The Stokesley - Helmsley route is much better than the official detour route in my opinion & we have used this route to West Ayton many many time without incident.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

I don't think I'd have any worries going up. Perhaps if I only had a weedy 2wd small diesel in manual then I wouldn't try it. But having 4wd 500nm torque and an auto box I think I would make it up quite easily. If it wasn't illegal that is. Coming down would be a different story altogether though. ...

I think I am missing the point you are trying to make

"Just looks like a steep hill" As in The Hardknott Pass just looks like a twisty road :)

Edited by peapod

The climb up Sutton Bank is ok till you get to the hairpin then you start to worry, my car has 4 wheel drive & 150bhp & it struggles if you don't keep up your corner speed.

I have seen caravans trying to reverse down the hill into a little cutout before the bend & not envied them one bit, especially with the large jam of peed off motorists behind all having to try & make room. What amazes me is that there are prominent signs before you get anywhere near the start of the climb but maybe some people think they know better . ....

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.