Worst Car Ever Made - Ssangyong Rodius

AlanNancy

I read in the Daily Telegraph that Auto Express voted the Ssangyong Rodius as the worst car ever made beating the Allegro - that's saying something!

Alan

I read in the Daily Telegraph that Auto Express voted the Ssangyong Rodius as the worst car ever made beating the Allegro - that's saying something!

Alan

should have been called the " Ssanyong Hideous " IMO :lol: :lol:

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Various polls have given different cars the crown over the years. I think the FSO Polonez ? is considered by many to be one of the worst ever.

Personally, I think anything and everything British Leyland ever did is about as bad as you could get - sadly.

Education is important but beer is more importanter.

The Rodius may have looked like a funeral car but was a decent enough motor. ..ask the taxi drivers of Italy & Switzerland who owned them instead of Mercs. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

The Rodius may have looked like a funeral car but was a decent enough motor. ..ask the taxi drivers of Italy & Switzerland who owned them instead of Mercs. ...

geoff

LOL I take exception to that . .... I'm a funeral director and we use S class mercs . .... Edited by digger65

Shogun SWB, Adria Isonzo +Dwt Paradies 280 . ... 78% match. Pitchin next to you sometime. ..!!!!

Various polls have given different cars the crown over the years. I think the FSO Polonez ? is considered by many to be one of the worst ever.

Personally, I think anything and everything British Leyland ever did is about as bad as you could get - sadly.

Triumph 2000, triumph Stag, rover 2000, rover 3. 5, mini, Morris Oxford, Austin Cambridge, Rover 800, all made by British Leyland and all fantastic cars.

The Trabant takes the prize for me.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Moskvich 412. Similar to the FSO Polonez but marginally worse. I once owned a Polonez, I bought it in 1994 while home on a 6 week leave to use as a runaround I paid 200 for it and sold for 150 after 6 weeks. Much cheaper than hiring, but boy was it agricultural. ( rudimentary cruise control was a hand throttle like a tractor ) Moskvich 412 was used as a minicab in my hometown by someone back in the early 70s. 3 pax and a driver and without a run at it it couldnt get up the wee hill to one of our watering holes.

I was and still am staggered how British Leyland could make a car like the rover 2000 as it was years ahead of its time in style and still looks good today. I even had a 45rpm record player fitted in my dash until I put an 8 track in. Loved it and would like one today!

Worst car of all time for me is anything Fiat!

Edited by brilock1

Our worst was a Fiat Uno, it didn't need a sunroof as the sun and rain came through all the rust holes in the roof. Sadly that was at 2 years!!

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

LOL I take exception to that . .... I'm a funeral director and we use S class mercs . ....

Rodius doesn't cost £200,000 for a coachbuilt job though. .....and yes we do know of a Middlesbrough undertaker than used just such a vehicle as 'pick up' from nursing homes. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Perhaps it should read "the ugliest car ever made"? I have driven a few (and towed with them), and quite honestly, although they have a look that even a mother would struggle to like, let alone love, they're not a bad old bus. There are certainly other cars out there that cost far more and don't drive any better.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

Worst car of all time for me is anything Fiat!

Well, that puts the kibosh on most of the motorhomes then. :ph34r:

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

Triumph 2000, triumph Stag, rover 2000, rover 3. 5, mini, Morris Oxford, Austin Cambridge, Rover 800, all made by British Leyland and all fantastic cars.

Triumph 200 - ok. Triumph Stag Engine overheats regularly due to poor coolant design. Rover 3. 5 - fine car but not the most reliable. Mini - epic car but rust problems with body and rear subframe. Austin Cambridge - Boring & rusty!. Morris Oxford - same as the Austin Cambridge - Boring & rusty. Rover 800 - good car but some had head gasket problems on the 2ltr.

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

I think most (all except Rover 800 depending on which rover 2000 & 3. 5 you are referring to) of those cars pre date BL in either design or introduction Bill.

In any case I had in mind Allegro, Marina, Dolomite (my first car!), Ambassador, Montego, Maestro etc

Only my opinion of course.

Education is important but beer is more importanter.

Triumph 200 - ok. Triumph Stag Engine overheats regularly due to poor coolant design. Rover 3. 5 - fine car but not the most reliable. Mini - epic car but rust problems with body and rear subframe. Austin Cambridge - Boring & rusty!. Morris Oxford - same as the Austin Cambridge - Boring & rusty. Rover 800 - good car but some had head gasket problems on the 2ltr.

All these cars were products of their age and typical of the cars produced by every major manufacturer of the era. If you think of any car made by major manufacturers iin that era most if not all the faults you accuse them of were present. The Cambridge and Oxford were similarly products of their age most cars were boring and all cars produced in that era suffered from terminal tin worm infestation.

Bill

All these cars were products of their age and typical of the cars produced by every major manufacturer of the era. If you think of any car made by major manufacturers iin that era most if not all the faults you accuse them of were present. The Cambridge and Oxford were similarly products of their age most cars were boring and all cars produced in that era suffered from terminal tin worm infestation.

Bill, my point was made as the OP described them as being fantastic.

AAAARRRRRHHHH!!!!!

Alanl mentioned the . ..... shhhhh!! austin montego.

All my nightmares have come back with a vengence. It's taken me 22 years to get over the original experiance!

Still don't think it counted as a car, it was more of a hobby to waste money & unlimited amounts of time on.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

AAAARRRRRHHHH!!!!!

Alanl mentioned the . ..... shhhhh!! austin montego.

All my nightmares have come back with a vengence. It's taken me 22 years to get over the original experiance!

Still don't think it counted as a car, it was more of a hobby to waste money & unlimited amounts of time on.

Ha :) Hilarious. I am too young to have owned one but my dad had one for a while and I always remember it being on axle stands. .. I don't ever remember it moving :o

Then we got an Austin Princess 2. 1 - That sheared off the gearbox from the engine.

Then we got a Triumph 2000 - WOW - Amazing car. Only seemed to run when it wasn't raining though :unsure:

Then we got a Volvo 245DL 2. 2l - This we kept for 12 years and it never once faulted, fantastic but boxy.

Then we got a Ford Sierra and my dad swore never to buy another Ford EVER again. .. And he didn't to be fair. ..

Then we got a Peugot 405 1. 6 - That threw a cambelt and water pump. ..

Back to Volvo, never to stray away ever again :lol: My dad bought every lemon ever made. Now he has a FIAT based Hymer :o

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

. .. it was more of a hobby to waste money & unlimited amounts of time on.

You just described boating ;)

And nobody has a bad word to say about Vauxhall???????????????????????????????????????

Yup.

Worst car I ever had to tolerate was an early Vauxhall Vectra. Too awful for words.

Volvo XC70 D5 Auto SE Lux

Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Triumph 200 - ok. Triumph Stag Engine overheats regularly due to poor coolant design.

Actually it's been proven recently that the Stag cooling system was of a sound design, it was the chronic build quality that let it down.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Actually it's been proven recently that the Stag cooling system was of a sound design, it was the chronic build quality that let it down.

I think you'll find that the problem relates to an undersized radiator core leading to insufficient cooling & overheating. This was demonstrated on Wheeler Dealers Discovery. .

Bill, my point was made as the OP described them as being fantastic.

I was the one who described them as fantastic and in relation to their time they were. Not one of them bears any comparison to present day cars, but in their time they were excellent vehicles in their market place.

Bill

I think you'll find that the problem relates to an undersized radiator core leading to insufficient cooling & overheating. This was demonstrated on Wheeler Dealers Discovery. .

The Stags cooling system was adequate, albeit marginal.

The main problem was the poor quality block castings which left blocked or restricted waterways. It wasn`t unusual when carrying out remedial work to find quantities of casting sand still within the block. The design was fine, the execution (quality control) was pitiful. It was amazing BL lasted as long as it did, the working practices being as they were - we had BL as a customer in the 70`s but had to trans-ship our goods onto a sub-contractor at the factory gate as the unions wouldn`t permit anything through the gates not on a BL truck (we ran Fords). At the same time `workers` were walking through the gates with wings, bonnets etc under their arms as they weren`t allowed to be stopped and `searched`.