Caravan Self Levellers @ Nec Show ?

I was hoping to go to the NEC to take a look at some caravan hydraulic self levellers.

Does anyone know who might be exhibiting?

ive done a google search for self levelling Companies, but none seem to be in the NEC exhibitors list.

any help appreciated

Had those on my previous RV - it felt very flash turning up at a site and leveling the RV off :D

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

Maybe start at Elddis as its fitted to 2015 Buccaneers as standard.

Maybe start at Elddis as its fitted to 2015 Buccaneers as standard.

They are using E&P for the levelling system but don't know if they will be at the NEC. The fact E&P don't publish prices makes me think they are in the eye watering league though.

They are using E&P for the levelling system but don't know if they will be at the NEC. The fact E&P don't publish prices makes me think they are in the eye watering league though.

Nor, as far as I can find do they give a hint of the weight, and with our modest payloads that would be my first question for caravan applications.

According to the E&P website the system will add about 20 kgs to the weight of the caravan. They don't mention a price but I've a feeling I've seen it advertised somewhere for about £2000 to £2500 :o

Yes, I think they remove all the existing corner stedies and replace with their hydaulic ones, so the net gain is about 20kg. £2-2. 5k probably explains the lack of visibilty on their website of any prices!

E&P usually turn up at most shows . Been to 2 caravan shows in the last few weeks and E&P have been at both so would be surprised if they are not at NEC .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

E&P usually turn up at most shows . Been to 2 caravan shows in the last few weeks and E&P have been at both so would be surprised if they are not at NEC .

Dave

They are on Stand 20-32a this year

I have wondered about these systems. I don't want or need one, but I also don't want a perfectly level van - sometimes it's nice to be a bit "nose down" or "nose up" as it helps with the water running off the roof/down the shower plug hole! I wonder if you can adjust them so that they are not level and, if so, what a waste of money!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

In the late 30s and early post-war, many mid & top range cars had the Smiths 'Jackall' system.

It consisted of hydraulic rams, similar to those in the E&P leveller, fitted to the axles and worked from a (hand)pump in the passenger foot well. The problem was that gravity tended to make them drop and ultimately drag on the road . . not good . . They were later fitted with external springs to keep them raised.

They also suffered from gradually sinking under load, when you had jacked-up the car when changing a wheel, so you had to keep pumping them up again.

OK, times & technology have moved on, but can you be sure the E&P units won't have the same problems?

Edited by Disco Kid

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

But are we all guilty of expecting 2014 technology at 1980 prices. I, for one, can understand the cost of producing such technology and accept it though not personally purchasing it.

Edited by a13est

But are we all guilty of expecting 2014 technology at 1980 prices. I, for one, can understand the cost of producing such technology and accept it though not personally purchasing it.

Maybe, however 6 hydraulic rams, operated by a compressor, controlled by a small computer. Priced individually don't come to the sort of price being suggested without a massive upcost. I suspect much is paying for development costs somewhere and you'd like to think that in the fullness of time the costs will come down, but at such a high price it makes you wonder if they will sell enough - although fitting them to Buccaneers might help.

I have wondered about these systems. I don't want or need one, but I also don't want a perfectly level van - sometimes it's nice to be a bit "nose down" or "nose up" as it helps with the water running off the roof/down the shower plug hole! I wonder if you can adjust them so that they are not level and, if so, what a waste of money!

I have no experience of the E&P system, but the "Equilizer" auto-levelling system fitted to our motorhome allows for initial manual setting of each corner jack. The desired level is then loaded "into memory" to be recalled anytime at the press of a button. It can be quite weird for others to see me walking around the MH connecting the EHU as the outfit is levelling itself!

Gordon.

Footnote:

See stand 20 - 32a at the NEC

http://www. ep-hydraulics. nl/en/info/Home/170

E&P Hydraulics

Unit 13 Elder Court

Lyons Drive

Blackburn

BB1 2EQ

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Surely these devices are more appropriate for motorhomes? Sounds a bit exxy for a caravan - after all front to back levelling is easy with the jockey and side to side can be made a bit easier with one of those clamp/leveller thingys and cheaper.

Anyway - carrying out all these little tasks is part of the fun isn't it? :)

Edited by hawkmoon

Surely these devices are more appropriate for motorhomes? Sounds a bit exxy for a caravan - after all front to back levelling is easy with the jockey and side to side can be made a bit easier with one of those clamp/leveller thingys and cheaper.

Anyway - carrying out all these little tasks is part of the fun isn't it? :)

I tend to agree, but there will always be those who are less physically able and these devices (along with caravan movers) can allow them to continue caravanning with a degree of independence.

Our MH weighs many tons and I certainly would not wish to level that manually, but our numerous caravans over the years (including the twin axles) have all been pushed into place on the car, and manualy levelled.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I tend to agree, but there will always be those who are less physically able and these devices (along with caravan movers) can allow them to continue caravanning with a degree of independence.

Our MH weighs many tons and I certainly would not wish to level that manually, but our numerous caravans over the years (including the twin axles) have all been pushed into place on the car, and manualy levelled.

Gordon.

Good Point

Motor mover and a couple of planks of 1" thick timber have made this reasonably effort free for me.

I've been doing some research on systems for my twin axle now I have the diamond wheel locks and jacking up constantly :rolleyes:

Best price for Compact E&P to lift wheels/level side to side was £1847 - this doesn't include self levelling or auto steadies but I'm not bothered about that - cordless drill and jockey wheel are easy enough :unsure:

Caralevel do a cheaper system that will level using suspension but doesn't lift wheels so not suitable for my purposes :(

In the end decided I've spent enough already and as the diamond locks were free but not required by CC insurance I'm not going to bother fitting them which makes life a lot easier :blush:

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

I have no experience of the E&P system, but the "Equilizer" auto-levelling system fitted to our motorhome allows for initial manual setting of each corner jack. The desired level is then loaded "into memory" to be recalled anytime at the press of a button. It can be quite weird for others to see me walking around the MH connecting the EHU as the outfit is levelling itself!

Gordon.

Footnote:

See stand 20 - 32a at the NEC

http://www. ep-hydraulics. nl/en/info/Home/170

E&P Hydraulics

Unit 13 Elder Court

Lyons Drive

Blackburn

BB1 2EQ

The Yank Manufacturers seem to fit them as standard item on their A class and some C class RVs so give it time and it will be fitted here . Some of the MHs here like Concorde fit them already as standard but we pay for them in the big prices here .

The E&P system fitted to the Buccaneers is programmed to work in pairs so it does not twist the chassis as it levels and looks clever the way it does it . It does not just lift the caravan so I dont think you could do it manually yourself with a DIYsystem without put to much load on one side . .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Levelling using steadies worries me - I would rather use jockey wheel then drop legs :unsure:

Lifting axle with hydraulic rams shouldn't cause a problem - that's why I got information on the Compact system but it needs to come down a lot more before I go for it ;)

The compact system is definitely less stressful all round and safer than the scissor jack I've been using :rolleyes:

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Don't think I would be comfortable with it on anything other than a hard standing . . which we rarely use . . those jacks on the axle may have large pads, but I doubt they have the surface area of the tyres in contact with the ground, and will sink under the load

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Apologies for this off topic question, but are there facilities to camp at the NEC? ive just looked, and I cannot see any mention of it. .. yet I am sure there is a show that goes on elsewhere that does?

Thank you again and apologies for off topic discussion.