Odd Tow Ball Set-Up........

Woodie106

Saw a Volvo 850 estate in tesco's car park last night that had a tow ball set up i've never seen before.

It had a plate welded to the bar protruding from under the bumper with 4 sets of holes in so that you could attach a tow ball at a different height, like you see on the back of many 4x4's, nothing odd there.

But attached to this plate were 2 tow balls, one on the top set of holes & one on the bottom set. The bottom one was a standard tow ball, the upper one was an extended tow ball, so stuck out 3 or 4 inches further.

It also had 13 pin sockets both sides - black & grey one side & black the other.

Only thing i can think is that the owner regularly tow 2 different trailers that need to attach at different heights, though attaching anything to the lower ball must be a bit of a squeeze.

Just found it odd :blink:

Did take a picture but as is was about 10pm its just come out black & you can't really make anything out :(

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Could he be using a towball mounted bike rack on the upper ball?

Volvo XC70 D5 Auto SE Lux

Bailey Unicorn Valencia

I ask myself whether that arrangement is actually legal or not. It sounds more like a homemade product which wouldn't have had the necessary type approval.

Could he be using a towball mounted bike rack on the upper ball?

that was another thought i had, though thinking about it, i don't think you'd actually fit a caravan hitch on the lower towball, certainly not an alko hitch.

I ask myself whether that arrangement is actually legal or not. It sounds more like a homemade product which wouldn't have had the necessary type approval.

i think it would be legal as it just looked like those you see on the back of a 4x4's, not a home made job. Its just that you would only normally have one towball attached.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Witter make adjustable type approved towbars attachments could be theirs. The yanks use a hitch with different towballs as they use a number of different size balls and they just turn it to the size they need.

This set up sounds like it is for different trailers to save changing the height.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

that was another thought i had, though thinking about it, i don't think you'd actually fit a caravan hitch on the lower towball, certainly not an alko hitch.

i think it would be legal as it just looked like those you see on the back of a 4x4's, not a home made job. Its just that you would only normally have one towball attached.

On a 4x4 maybe, but specifically for a Volvo 850 estate? I find that difficult to believe.

On a 4x4 maybe, but specifically for a Volvo 850 estate? I find that difficult to believe.

Pre 98 ? . ........ Or could of been a Volvo cross country 4x4 . A towbar with 4 holes is legal so could be a professional made.

I have seen vehicles with 2x towballs fitted at different heights which I would of thought is for different trailers or saves cleaning grease off to use a caravan hitch.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Pre 98 ? . ........ Or could of been a Volvo cross country 4x4 . A towbar with 4 holes is legal so could be a professional made.

I have seen vehicles with 2x towballs fitted at different heights which I would of thought is for different trailers or saves cleaning grease off to use a caravan hitch.

Dave

OK a Volvo 850 is pre 98 so it wouldn't come under the type approval requirement. But it a 4x4 wouldn't be exempt if built after 1998 as it wouldn't count as an off-road vehicle.

Dave

It looked like it may well have been a pre 98 Volvo. It was certainly a mid 90's model 850

The Volvo 850 is old enough not to come under Type Approval.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES