Voltage Reading

stevejo

Welcome.

Could you explain your problem in a little more detail so that the members can try to fathom out a solution?

Thanks

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Is the isolation switch on the panel 'Off'?

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Sorry guys have just bought a coachman 570/6 and although running through battery the voltage reading is zero when control panel is switched on. all sockets and lighting work.

is the main isolation switch on the main control panel ?

Thanks

There should be a master switch on the control panel to turn on the 12v system, but I think the voltmeter would still work without it turned on. Could the battery be dead? The lights etc will work through the transformer if plugged in to the mains.

Turn off the mains electric and see if anything running on 12v still works.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Thanks glen and les

12 v system works fine but still no voltage reading

thanks

Thanks glen and les

12 v system works fine but still no voltage reading

thanks

You say the 12 volt system works fine so there is 12 volts either from the battery or if on hook up the mains via the inbuilt charger.

That the voltmeter then is not showing any reading implies it is broken or the positive or negative wire feeding it are broken, unless Coachman use a "press to read" meter.

Coachman do use a 'press to read' meter, the switch is spring loaded right next to the meter.

If you check the voltage across the meter terminals, it will not give 12v as it is attenuated somewhere in the system.

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Hi Stevejo,

You don't say which is the year of manufacture of your Coachman. We have a 2011 Pastiche 460/2. The 12v system is switched on via the lefthand masterswitch over the door. The voltmeter reads only when when the meter switch is depressed. It tends to read low (probably attenuated as Wonky suggests). I get a true reading (to monitor battery charge state when we are staying without EHU) by using a ' cigarette lighter to open leads' connection, which is inserted in the 12v socket and connected to a multimeter.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Paul R T

Thanks jor all your comments will let you now how I get on by the way year of modle 2010

My 2010 Pastiche voltmeter always reads low. When on hookup or solar panel connected = 12. 6v, without either and fully charges battery, spot on 12v! if battery needs charging it reads 13v when first connected to either solar panel or charger. .

As Paul RT says, I have checked the true voltage and it is fine.

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

I emailed BCA sometime ago regarding the low reading of the meter over the door, their reply was

Quote:

Regarding the voltmeter reading a different voltage to the battery while hooked up the power supply has two outputs one for charging and one for the habitation area which give out different voltages and the voltmeter is connected to the habitation output.

So Wonky and Paul RT are spot on

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

I emailed BCA sometime ago regarding the low reading of the meter over the door, their reply was

Quote:

Regarding the voltmeter reading a different voltage to the battery while hooked up the power supply has two outputs one for charging and one for the habitation area which give out different voltages and the voltmeter is connected to the habitation output.

So Wonky and Paul RT are spot on

Of course it as 2 voltages higher when on mains hookup and charging and lower battery voltage when not on mains, as other have said mine too reads low and is push to read.

I think meter broken or a connection off, I could live with mine not working as if I need to check I use voltmeter.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Of course it as 2 voltages higher when on mains hookup and charging and lower battery voltage when not on mains, as other have said mine too reads low and is push to read.

I think meter broken or a connection off, I could live with mine not working as if I need to check I use voltmeter.

Not strictly true if you have the BCA basic standard charger like the one used in the old Amara range which is not dual stage. I found this when I had problems with my dual stage charger, BCA loaned me a standard charger, which showed full charging on the meter above the door, when I replaced this with the dual stage charger the readings returned to the lower setting.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Thank you for all your replies thnk I may have to live with it not reading as everything works fine

steve