Coachman Construction Methods

Chestrefeldian

Hi all

Can anyone confirm or otherwise if Coachman are currently utilising traditional screwed and glued construction or have they adopted more advanced methods yet? I have a 2008 (new 2009) Amara 380 and to date it is still dry with most items working well and upholstery still excellent. . I'm possibly looking to upgrade to a 4 berth but might prefer construction methods similar to Swift with their general absence of timber frame but within a Coachman. ..if possible.

Any knowledgeable people out there please.

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

Swift Challenger Hi Style 425 pushing a Ford Kuga AWD

I believe they do have a new range with a different construction, but unfortunately don't have any details

Details are hard to find.

http://www. sussexcaravancentre. co. uk/new-coachman-caravans

http://www. coachman. co. uk/why-coachman

Edited by xtrailman

Coachman had their owners' club visit last weekend, so maybe a CT member who went may be able to answer?

I think that the new shape Vision/Pastiche models have a new construction method, but not sure about the VIP/Laser models. Interestingly, though, on their website they now say that there's a 10 year water ingress warranty, so that would suggest new methods are in use.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Taken from Sussex Caravans website:

"With advancements being made every year, for the 2014 range, Coachman have taken the route of an improved construction method by using polyurethane components and framework"

Thanks G&L and Xtrailman

I got this from Coachman's site before posting my question. .. "Meticulously designed, the Vision caravans feature a sleek, aerodynamic style, with advanced materials and a unique bonded construction that makes them both durable and lightweight."...but it doesn't mean a lot and I haven't got anything further out of Coachman. ..or does that tell its own story?

Sika products could be considered as 'bonded' to some extent.

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

Hi,

The Answer to your problem/ enquiry is very simple, as you own a Coachman van ----------- join the owners club ! then you can go on the factory visit and see for yourself ( and ask questions as well ) just what is what. An easy solution to your problem -- surprised you never thought of it-----------------------------

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Hi all

Can anyone confirm or otherwise if Coachman are currently utilising traditional screwed and glued construction or have they adopted more advanced methods yet? I have a 2008 (new 2009) Amara 380 and to date it is still dry with most items working well and upholstery still excellent. . I'm possibly looking to upgrade to a 4 berth but might prefer construction methods similar to Swift with their general absence of timber frame but within a Coachman. ..if possible.

Any knowledgeable people out there please.

Certainly the 2015 Pastiche is using bonded construction and non wood materials - see the review on the current Caravan Channel. Plus I think the 2014 models were all similar but may have been a combination.

I've had 3 Coachmans all with the traditional construction and none of them have leaked or had damp problems. :)

I hope they don't go down the route of re-inventing the wheel.

You will also notice that it is the manufacturers with history of damp that bring in these "revolutionary" construction methods.

Land Rover Discovery Sport 180 SE Tech 2016 - Fuji White

Coachman Festival 640/6 - 2011

Definitively, the Vision and Pastiche ranges are all non screwed. The VIP and Laser are still 'old Tech'

This came from Trevor Baxter directly!

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Definitively, the Vision and Pastiche ranges are all non screwed. The VIP and Laser are still 'old Tech'

This came from Trevor Baxter directly!

Which is what I thought, but couldn't confirm. Thanks.

Good luck with getting a tour of the factory. We joined the Owner's club with the express intention of seeing round the factory and it rapidly became apparent that it was the same few individuals who managed to float to the front of the queue for tickets each time. Save your money.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Good luck with getting a tour of the factory. We joined the Owner's club with the express intention of seeing round the factory and it rapidly became apparent that it was the same few individuals who managed to float to the front of the queue for tickets each time. Save your money.

The chosen ones ;)

Did they walk into a beam of light when the factory gates opened :blink:

Just bought a new Swift Challenger so it doesn't really matter too much now.

We really will miss our little Amara but the main reason for changing marque is the weight advantage of the Swift and the fact that I don't want to change the car whilst keeping under 90%.

Thank you to all who responded. ..some very helpful and some perhaps not quite so.

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

funny that!! we have just been on factory rally and was attended by 70+ vans all had tickets for the tour !! did it in 3 shifts great rally too

Just found this thread.

We are doing some homework about a possible new van before thrashing round the NEC this week.

Main question: Do we know the construction methods for Coachman caravans? Is it conventional, "no more nails", or metal/plastic framing? Or what?

And are the walls aluminium or GRP? Floor plywood? Roof bonded aluminium/foam sandwich? Front and back ABS I suppose.

The brochure does not mention much about the caravan body, just a passing comment about polyurethane materials withoiut saying where they are used.

Just had my van serviced today built using the so called out of date construction methods. Damp readings no more than 8 in the " 1 - 15" catergory of no concern.

Go figure eh ???

Land Rover Discovery Sport 180 SE Tech 2016 - Fuji White

Coachman Festival 640/6 - 2011

We used to belong to the owners club and found them a friendly lot. To get on the factory visit you must book the Factory Visit Rally early as soon as the rally book comes out. We did and went three times. Everyone on the rally had the chance to go on the visit. The evening social is great fun. I don't belong anymore as the rallies are not very local to us in Norfolk and therefore a pretty expensive weekend haul.

Edited by David55

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

Offensive posts removed!

looks like I missed the "fun".

Noticed there still appears to be little information on the new construction?

You would think CM would want to advertise any new methods, instead all you get are vague comments.

• 3 weeks later...

On the latest caravan channel programme the chap mentioned the coachman on show had timber less walls, but didn't add to it or mention it again.

So I still know nothing about the new construction. does anybody?

http://www. caravanchannel. co. uk/videos?vid=753

Edited by xtrailman

Coachman are using polyurethane framing and bonding techniques by Bostik for all 2015 models and upgraded their 6 year water ingress warranty to 10 years, in line with other manufacturers.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

I noticed the 10 year warranty sign.

Swift do 10, but Bailey only 6 years now, my model has ten due to it being an early alutech.

I noticed the 10 year warranty sign.

Swift do 10, but Bailey only 6 years now, my model has ten due to it being an early alutech.

I wonder what Bailey's decision to lower the warranty period is based on.

I hope that your (or anyone else's) caravan never needs attention but there must be a reason. Wonder if they are experiencing increased claims. I must admit that, having owned two previous damp swifts, I vowed never again but their recent construction methods have allayed my main fear. ..that of structural long term damage. I did look at Alutec but purely on my personal choice of visuals, decided on Swift now that they have caught up.

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2