How To Date Thetford Cassette?

Brighty

Hi all

The cassette on our newly acquired van leaks when taking it out to empty. A bit of googling has lead me to look at replacing the lip seal which looks straight forward, however there seems to be 2 different seals for pre and post 2000 cassettes. Van is a 2003 so would assume toilet and cassette are post 2000, but who knows if an older replacement cassette has ended up in there.

So, how do I identify whether I have a new or old cassette so I know which seal to order? Is there a different part number on it somewhere, or some other visual tell tale sign on the cassette to identify old and new?

Thanks

Brighty

Edited by Brighty

Brighty,

I was under the assumption that the seals changed when they introduced movable seats, but I may be wrong.

I you have a Swift and are a member of the SwiftTalk Forum, then post a thread FAO Sue Irwin at Thetford - she usually answers pretty quickly - you may need the model/serial number to hand (on the base of the cassette tank I think).

You could always remove the seal and take it to a caravan shop to compare.

Having said all that, I would think that yours is almost certainly the new type seal, as it's 3 years after the change date and they would have to have been well overstocked to be still using 'old' tanks in 2003.

John

PS Just found this email adress, not sure if it's still current - irwin@thetford. EU

Edited by Johnaldo

Thanks John

It's not a swift, it's an Elddis

We're down at the van this weekend (it's on a seasonal pitch), so i'll have a look for some kind of serial number and go from there.

Cheers

Brighty