Can I Travel With "waste" In My Cassette Loo?

panslanepaul

Having read all the blurb that came with the caravan I can't see anywhere that says I need to empty the cassette prior to hitching up. We've just got back from a continental trip where we made a one night stop and didn't set the toilet up because it wasn't worth it. So, two questions (and ignoring the issues of MTPLM and noseweight): if the cassette isn't full, is it ok to tow with it partly full, and; other than a site CDP, where should I empty it?

Hope you're not eating your lunch. ..

Paul

We often travel with a little in the waste tank. Also use it on route as it's cleaner than service stations so as long as not really full shouldn't be a problem

Live life to the full you are a long time dead

Hi Paul,

It is fine to travel with your cassette partly full. I always set mine with chemicals at home, ready to be used en-route, and if I am only away for a weekend I will usually travel back with it perhaps 3/4 full and empty at home. The seals are good and don't allow any nasty leaks.

When I am at home I empty mine down a manhole cover in my garden which takes the household sewage. There are two sorts of household sewage systems, those that take rainwater and those that take sewage. To check you are using a sewage one, lift the cover and get someone to flush the toilet and watch for the water to come through. Alternatively you can empty down a household toilet, but this isn't my preferred option, what with the potential for indoor unpleasant splashing etc.

Hope this helps!

I wouldn't travel with ours too full - maybe just a little, but ours is at the furthest point back on the van so 10 litres of liquid would be roughly 10kg extra right at the back of the van 7. 2m away from hitch.

So if going short distance or slow speed then probably Ok but wouldn't want a long haul home with that, plus we are always close to max weight and this would most likely take us over if full

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

We often travel with some amount in the toilet's holding tank; I usually make sure it is very little.

In motorhome applications the same toilet model would often be part full as these units are used away from sites with disposal facilities.

At home it gets dumped, with care, in the downstairs utility room's WC.

Thanks all. Shame I've got recessed manhole covers with paving slabs cut into them at home as I heed to see an osteopath every time I lift them!

I wasn't intending on towing with a full cassette, though isn't it the distance from the axle that affect the way the caravan behaves? And 10kg is under 1% of the MTPLM . ... and being at the back reduces the noseweight :)

+1

I travel with a small amount of flush and use the loo for pit stops in laybys . Never use service stations or motorway services .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

And when you get home, it has a better head on it than a pint of Adnams ;)

I love my Bailey Unicorn Madrid, I do, I do, I do!!!

And when you get home, it has a better head on it than a pint of Adnams ;)

One wonders what additive/inhibitor you are using in the loo to get foaming; I use Tesco's clothes washing Bio liquid and that has no such problems.

+1

I travel with a small amount of flush and use the loo for pit stops in laybys . Never use service stations or motorway services .

Dave

. ..and me too. .

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

+1

Dave

+1

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

Us also, always travel and use the loo en route, motorway services not always that good. Just open the flap slowly to give the vent value chance to operate (to prevent blow back) arriving on site with a blue face and a suspicious looking tee shirt gets you off to a bad start LOL :)

I might travel with a little no 3 in it but definitely not any no 2s! Many years ago, we had a leakage during travel, and it wasn't very nice!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I might travel with a little no 3 in it but definitely not any no 2s! Many years ago, we had a leakage during travel, and it wasn't very nice!

. ..... mmmm . ... what's a no. 3 . .... ???? I've heard of no. 1's and 2's . ...... please tell . ...

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Thinking the same, but going in a very rude direction! Anyway about to have tea.

. ... as already said . .. we travel with our cassette upto half full . .....

. .... empty it at home . .. down a rodding eye . ... close to the out-side tap . ...

Pete

Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Maths hmmm, bit like the constipated mathematician - worked it out with a pencil and paper.

It's good to recycle :)

Just be aware after driving up mountains that the tank has not pressurised I know that the tank has a pressure valve but like the full light they are not reliable.

So when you go to use the loo slide the trap flap slowly or risk a blue rinse have had this happen in my caravan and demountable camper

When using your loo en route, do you have to wind the caravan legs down, or is it OK to enter the van whilst only supported by the cars tow hitch?

When using your loo en route, do you have to wind the caravan legs down, or is it OK to enter the van whilst only supported by the cars tow hitch?

It unquestionably puts the structure both the chassis and bodywork at greater stress with rear located loos if you don't put down at least the loo side steady.

The issue becomes is this enough stress to be concerned about, and that concern must vary with differing body constructions and their state of health.

Where time permits I do, but time does not always permit.

. ... we're ok . ... our loo is mid-ships . .....

Cheers

Pete

It unquestionably puts the structure both the chassis and bodywork at greater stress with rear located loos if you don't put down at least the loo side steady.

The issue becomes is this enough stress to be concerned about, and that concern must vary with differing body constructions and their state of health.

Where time permits I do, but time does not always permit.

Compared with the stresses during travelling, I doubt that someone moving gently around to use the loo is going to cause any worrying stresses.

We have never put the legs down when we have availed ourselves of the facilities.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

A word of warning - please ensure that the flap is closed before settig off having used it! Speaking from experience.

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.