Does A 5Amp Mcb Have A Fuse In It?

mandville

Robin (aug 82) has a "wonderful" switch panel that is shown in the picture. everything seems to work apart from the water pump (cant test the sockets due to no suitable test device).

looking at the provided circuit diagram, its protected by a 5amp mcb, which does manually trip and reset. but still cant get to work even when fiddling the pressure switch as per http://bits4caravans. co. uk/images/cache/Whale_pressure_switch. 600. jpg

the foot pump works fine so i know its not that, cant see any breaks in cables or other fuse boxes.

any suggestions ?

post-60304-0-91298600-1412071944_thumb.jpgpost-60304-0-89511400-1412071960_thumb.jpg

notes, ther eis a battery and a battery charger,,, the tp2 isnt actually there,,, all 240 works, ceiling 12v lights work

Edited by mandville

I think there's something wrong somewhere.

Normally its only 240v circuits which are protected by an MCB. This would include mains lighting and 13a sockets and possibly fridge and water heater. On early vans these may be gas only.

The 12v circuits are covered by fuses. These 12v supply lighting, ignition for various pieces of equipment and 12v sockets.

I have never come across a 240v pump. As far as I am aware, they all operate on 12v.

I wonder if what is marked on the diagram are fuses not mcbs

You would normally expect to find MCbs on the main distribution board with switches for the 240v circuits and an earth leakage trip.

In view of the age of your van and the fact that you are asking these questions suggests to me that it would be safer if you get it looked over by some one who knows what they are doing such as a qualified electrician.

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

12v MCBs are, I think, used more often in boats - expensive way of fusing? Are the "skts" which I suppose are the 12v ciggy-lighter type working? They appear to be protected by the same MCB.

Sam :beardy:

i know enough not to stick screwdrivers where they are not wanted, the mcb looks a bit old for my liking and the electrician who checked over my van said the electrics were pro wired but the cover was missing,. but as we didnt have any water to hand at the time couldnt check the pump (sniff sniff male cow) i only use the foot pump to fill the kettle, the lights and the built in radio cassette player. (was looking for the 8 track or cb but couldnt see it {joke})

the images show the 12 socket (next to the awning light that doesnt pir like it should but does light up on command. and the pump in situ in the dog bone cupboard.

post-60304-0-03519500-1412099318_thumb.jpg

post-60304-0-14262900-1412099383_thumb.jpg

Think I would be tempted to do a little re-wiring. .. Not sure I like the look of some of that.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

On some wagons there were MCB's rather than fuses. The mains MCB is a combined thermal and magnetic device but the MCB used with wagons was thermal only and a lot smaller.

The pressure switch is easy enough to short out to test if working. I have over the years many times cursed the pressure switch. At first we had micro switches built into the taps and these worked well. But as one progressed from one simple cold tap to maybe 4 taps and the need to ensure the water in the water heater is kept topped up we moved to pressure switch.

Two problems resulted in water pump failure as a result. One run out of water or it become frozen and the pump would run dry and burn itself out. Two the one way valve would fail and the pump with keep switching on and off which went first pressure switch or pump was any ones guess.

Main point is when you leave the caravan switch off the pump as with either of the above your normally aware in the caravan only when unattended does it become a problem.

It is so easy to forget. With the larger in water carrier submersible pump when in storage the pump is always disconnected but with the early aqua-role these pumps would not fit through the filler hole so the pump was in the caravan. The foot pump was often required to prime these pumps and it was so easy for them to run dry.

Also the little rubber impeller would often stick to sides when not used for some time and motor ran but no water pumped. I would guess the pump rather than switch has failed. With my old van I wired a socket under the van and used a submersible pump but that also meant buying a new aqua role with a larger neck.

i know enough not to stick screwdrivers where they are not wanted, the mcb looks a bit old for my liking and the electrician who checked over my van said the electrics were pro wired but the cover was missing,. but as we didnt have any water to hand at the time couldnt check the pump (sniff sniff male cow) i only use the foot pump to fill the kettle, the lights and the built in radio cassette player. (was looking for the 8 track or cb but couldnt see it {joke})

the images show the 12 socket (next to the awning light that doesnt pir like it should but does light up on command. and the pump in situ in the dog bone cupboard.

Any chance of a picture of your mcb. That might help.

its the red thing on the left of the switches.

We'll never seen an mcb like that.

I thought it was a five amp fuse behind the circular thing with an on off switch. Aan McB and fuse do the same thing.

Edited by poolebob

i am assuming that the mcb on the diagram, is the red fuse thing. and when i search engine mcb it brings up images similar to that

Looking at the pics of the panel and the circuit the 'lights' circuit breaker (or resettable fuse) appears to be long gone and a toggle switch is in its place (no fusing at all???) Probably because the mcb device failed!

The LH device may well be faulty (although the red handle/switch bit would typically be 'up' for on as per switches in the good ole USA are) and it seems to be down (off?). IIRC the bit marked 5A pops up and may need to be held 'in' while switching up??? It's also a possibility that the 5A bit is a removable cap for a 20mm or similar tubular glass fuse. .. but that should be apparent by close examination. .. of BOTH side of the panel (battery / batteries disconnected naturally)?

A bit dodgy d-i-y amateur looking panel overall and may be worth a rebuild, with proper fusing - if you can work out what to do.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

It might be easier to replace the charger completely, as for 1/ the existing charger is probably faulty. and 2/ If you were to get a charger of the type used in most modern caravans you will get the chance of almost 20amp output on the 12volt side. It would be advisable as others have said to give the electrics, especially the 12volt side a bit of an overhaul.

It really depends if you want to keep the van in original state, or are willing to change a few things.

Doing the above may need someone with a bit of expertise to carry out.