Pre 1998 Tow Car Advice Please

pigiron

I am finding it difficult to find a definitive answer to the following;

I would like to discover which pre 1998 cars I could tow a 710 kg caravan with.

As I understand it as of 1st August 1998 manufacturers are obliged to declare a vehicles towing weight and cars must be fitted with a European homologated tow bar.

I also understand that if section 'O' of the V5C contains a 'zero' it means that the car was never homologated for towing and therefore would be illegal to do so.

My main question is;

If on the V5C of a pre 1st August 1998 car section 'O' is blank . . . does this mean that one could tow with that car?

In other words could I tow with 'any' pre 1998 car provided I keep within the 85% weight ratio?

Thanks for looking.

Easiest way - find the weight plate which is usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame

It has 4 figures on it

top = GVW

second from top = GTW

GTW minus GVW = towing capacity in most cases

What car is it? = I might be able to find the info on the web

To my knowledge car manufacturers were obliged to quote maximum permissible towloads and max. gross train weight long before 1998. What did change in the UK in 1998 is that post-1998 cars must be fitted with type approved towbars.

I cant answer your v5c question but you must be legally entitled to tow as many cars and vehicles do just that.

To tow 710kg is lightweight and I would think that as long as you have a vehicle that's at least 1000k and has a 1. 6 litre and above engine you should be ok. At that age fords would be good vehicles to start looking at.

If I remember it was only a MTW that was declared by manufacturers . I dont think pre 98 Vin plates showed weights only manufacturing information .

In the 60 -70s it was only based on if a vehicle was big enough and had enough power . Usually you had to make your own towbar as well .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I am finding it difficult to find a definitive answer to the following;

I would like to discover which pre 1998 cars I could tow a 710 kg caravan with.

As I understand it as of 1st August 1998 manufacturers are obliged to declare a vehicles towing weight and cars must be fitted with a European homologated tow bar.

I also understand that if section 'O' of the V5C contains a 'zero' it means that the car was never homologated for towing and therefore would be illegal to do so.

My main question is;

If on the V5C of a pre 1st August 1998 car section 'O' is blank . . . does this mean that one could tow with that car?

In other words could I tow with 'any' pre 1998 car provided I keep within the 85% weight ratio?

Thanks for looking.

The simple answer would be all pre 1997 cars can be used. Just check the weight plate on the car for a maximum train weight, in those cars that defines the maimum train weight and as long as you do not exceed this then there is no other max towing weight.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

ALSO - if you can get a tow bar for the car (from a reputable supplier) then as like as not you can tow with it!

I raised this problem whilst looking for a tow-bar for my 1988 Mercedes SL300 roadster on an MB classic forum. Found a type specific tow bar and from that deduced that I could tow with it.( didn't go down that route in the end though)

found mine from here :)

http://www. watling-towbars. co. uk/

Cheers

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

• 2 weeks later...

The simple answer would be all pre 1997 cars can be used. Just check the weight plate on the car for a maximum train weight, in those cars that defines the maimum train weight and as long as you do not exceed this then there is no other max towing weight.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

I'm thinking of a 1996 to 98 Mercedes SLK, but the snag is that apparently there in no train weight printed on the VIN plate.

What confuses me is that Watlings Engineers list a bar for this model.

The car is more than capable of hauling a 710 kg caravan, it's kerb weight is around 1400kg and has a 197 bhp supercharged motor with plenty of low down torque.

Am I therefor to assume that one could tow with any pre 1998 car irrespective of whether or not it has the gross train weight printed the chassis/VIN plate?

If it is was first registered before the 1st Jan 1997 then the plate does not require a max train weight. If it is later then it does and the lack of such a value makes it illegal to tow with it.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.