Cal Mac Ferry Prices .... Rip-Off?

Pierre19

Hi all . ..... now with the talk of cross-channel ferry prices for next year . ... being banded about . ...

. ... got me doing some digging . .....

For awhile now . ... we've fancied taking the van over to the Isle of Mull. Polly's never been and I've only been across for the day . .... and there is so much to explore . .....

Back in April I looked up the ferry prices for Car/Caravan/2 people from Oban to Craignure and the cheapest return was £265. 50 . ..... for a 46 minute crossing . ......

I've just looked again, no winter timetable . ... let alone summer of 2015 . ... and you can only search for crossing up to the end of October, but a return in October is an eye-watering . ..... £205. 50 . ....

. .... and these are suppose to be subsidised fares . .....

Hhhhuuuuuffffff

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Hi all . ..... now with the talk of cross-channel ferry prices for next year . ... being banded about . ...

For awhile now . ... we've fancied taking the van over to the Isle of Mull. Polly's never been and I've only been across for the day . .... and there is so much to explore . .....

Back in April I looked up the ferry prices for Car/Caravan/2 people from Oban to Craignure and the cheapest return was £265. 50 . ..... for a 46 minute crossing . ......

I've just looked again, no winter timetable . ... let alone summer of 2015 . ... and you can only search for crossing up to the end of October, but a return in October is an eye-watering . ..... £205. 50 . ....

Hhhhuuuuuffffff

Pete

looked at these this year when we were up at lochness shores campsite,we fancied an island hop with the van next year,,,,,,,,,whoaaaa no way. ..prices off the planet. just a couple of island hops returns etc were in excess of £600,not a cat in hells chance.

nissan xtrail tekna 173 . ....SERIES 2 UNICORN VALENCIA 2013

It was December before CalMac published its summer timetable last year, so don't hold your breath, The road price equivalent fares (the subsidised ones) are only applicable to the longer ferry runs, they can (and do) still charge what they can get away with for the short hops, often its cheaper to go as a foot passanger and do B&B for short duration trips.

It was December before CalMac published its summer timetable last year, so don't hold your breath, The road price equivalent fares (the subsidised ones) are only applicable to the longer ferry runs, they can (and do) still charge what they can get away with for the short hops, often its cheaper to go as a foot passanger and do B&B for short duration trips.

Hi Gordon . ... yeap . ... aware of all that . ... as for B & B . .... let me know if you can find a B & B who will take in 3 dogs . ....

. ... 2 of them being . .... wet Spaniels . .....

Ta

Pete

Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

We have also been thinking of doing the same trip, but ferry prices at putting it out of our reach. Not sure which is the worst for prices, Isle of Wight ferry, S Ireland ferries or CalMac?

Went to Oban Summer 2010 - Took just he car, 3 Adults & 2 Kids and was astonished at the prices.

I've never even considered and island hopping holiday as a result.

Regards,

Stephen

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

Have a look at the short Lochaline-Fishnish crossing to Mull. If you leave your van at Bunree and go over for the day (or stay over at a B&B ) it is affordable, expecially if you can team up with another couple and split the cost, which is what we did. The other advantage of this crossing is that it seldom stops for bad weather as the strait is quite narrow at this point.

Edited by MalH

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Red Funnel prices can be quite reasonable if booked with a campsite. We did just that via the CC last year and I think the return crossing was £89. Not sure whether you can book Cal Mac via the Club but it might be worth a try. If you are going to island hop I think they do a special deal ticket.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Red Funnel prices can be quite reasonable if booked with a campsite. We did just that via the CC last year and I think the return crossing was £89. Not sure whether you can book Cal Mac via the Club but it might be worth a try. If you are going to island hop I think they do a special deal ticket.

David

I agree with you, David, but the Red Funnel deals are all for a 5 night stay and we prefer to go for at least 10 days, which makes the costs more acceptable when broken down over the longer period (if that makes sense?).

Yes Calmac do a multi trip ticket

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Hhhhuuuuuffffff

Pete

Well somebody's got to pay for the new ferry and two aircraft just ordered to serve the isles! :o

Well somebody's got to pay for the new ferry and two aircraft just ordered to serve the isles! :o

Well . .... it's no bl%$£&y well me . .....

Pete

We are off to Oban shortly, fancy going to Mull for the day - nearly £100 for car + family. If we do go it will be as foot passengers, the car portion of the fare was nearly £70 :-(

We are off to Oban shortly, fancy going to Mull for the day - nearly £100 for car + family. If we do go it will be as foot passengers, the car portion of the fare was nearly £70 :-(

Sounds like an opportunity for a car hire company at the Craignure ferry terminal!

"The company enjoys a de facto monopoly on the shipment of freight and vehicles to the islands, and competes for passenger traffic with number of aircraft services of varying quality and reliability. Nonetheless, few if any of the routes currently operated by CalMac are profitable, and the company receives significant government subsidies due to its vital role in supplying the islands - these routes are classified as "lifeline" services."

Without having a full understanding of the costs involved I seldom offer a view on being ripped off or not.

I agree with you, David, but the Red Funnel deals are all for a 5 night stay and we prefer to go for at least 10 days, which makes the costs more acceptable when broken down over the longer period (if that makes sense?).

Alan

My ferry fare was based on a six night stay at Southlands.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

We looked at Island hopping with the van, saw the costs, decided to have a long holiday in France instead.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Just think what the locals on Mull have to pay per anum!!!!! One chap from Mull told me a haircut cost him £30!!!!! £10 each way on the ferry and£10 for a haircut in Oban. And that was a few ago now.

I suppose the other way to look at it is if the fares were cheap the very nature of the islands would change and the roads and infrastructure would struggle to cope with a big influx of motorists and caravans.

We've been to Mull a couple of times a including Iona one of the times using tour buses and public transport. Much better value and let the bus driver take the strain of the not very good roads.

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.