2007 Delta 529 Power Supply Unit And Cracked Front Windows

Tintaglia

Hello everyone. I think I was a member before but I can't track down any details so I've joined again!

I know from reading everything I can on here and elsewhere on the web that both of the above are not unknown problems so I was hoping someone could help with a couple of questions.

The Power supply unit has failed and since the lugs on the plastic casing are also broken and have been bodged in the past I think I will have to bite the bullet and replace the whole thing. I can't find one online and I wonder if an alternative better/cheaper on can be fitted. It is the charger in the PSU that has failed by the way. Also it's a huge thing that does mains and 12v supplies. .

Re the windows- I have two front windows that cracked spontaneously. I have a quote from the window makers for about £500. I'm presuming Lunar's offer to fit modified windows won't apply to older vans. Or is there a chance do you think?

The warped window issue only affected 2013 model year - ie those built between September 2012 and August 2013.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I got a new front nearside window from these people for £120 http://www. caravanbreakers. net/www. caravanbreakers. net/info. php?p=10 make sure you check if the windows are tinted or not.

With regard to the PSU I replaced mine this year with this one http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Caravan-motorhome-Mains-20amp-Power-Unit-Transformer-Battery-Charger-PS276-/201167988054?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2ed68be556

Edited by springtime

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

Thanks for the replies. :) I quite like the look of AudiPartner's installation here. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/88058-power-supply-charger-dead/

The charger he fitted seems to be on offer at the moment . .http://www. amperorassociates. co. uk/c-battery_chargers/BatteryC-3_25A. html

This is what mine looks like and it seems similar to AudiPartner's so as long as I can remove the failed charger from the box it should work.

Image042.jpg

Image040.jpg

Thanks for the window tip Springtime. :) I have the van in storage with the cracks taped up but I'll have a measure up when I get it back home in Nov.

Re the PSU, did you remove the old charger from the PCU or just add the new one and pick up a new supply?

It was a straight swap - removed the old one (it unplugs and slides out) and then replaced it with the new one.

Have fun.

With regards to the windows it's also worthwhile sending them a photo of the window and the code in the top left or right hand corner.

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

Ah, mine is different then. There is no separate charger. The charger must be inside that dirty great box (the PSU) pictured above! I think mine is probably the same as AudiPartner's but he doesn't seem to be a member here any more so I can't ask him. :(

Edited by Tintaglia

You need to unscrew the front of the box - there are 4 screws in the recess at each corner.

Once off you will see the PSU.

Edited by springtime

Thanks for that. I saw the screws. I think I'll order the charger while it's on offer.

The first thing I noticed when this happened was that the mains tripped so the fridge was off one morning. Why it did this I still don't know. It would not reset even though I unplugged/disconnected everything possible. After it became clear that the battery was also very low so I fitted a spare charged battery and then the mains trip reset ok. All very odd.

The new battery was also quite low by the following day but there was no more trouble with the mains power. It seems like the charger failed (maybe putting out a high voltage?) which 'confused' the PSU leading to the tripping? Another odd thing was one of the 12v domed lights in the roof failed at the same time. I later swapped the bulb with the bathroom one (which was working) but that made no difference. There is (what looks like) a small transformer amongst other small components inside the light so perhaps that got damaged at the same time.

Edited by Tintaglia

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd update this. I havn't used the 'van much so I've only just got around to looking at it. I took the charging unit (Marked PS-279-1-BC) out from the consumer unit shown above and found that it rattled! It appears that one the transformers has overheated and melted the glue that keeps the two black ceramic things in place. They are not magnetic so I don't know what they do.

Anyway, I have ordered the 18amp version of the Amperoras charger in my link in post #4 above. It was £10 cheaper at £69. 99. They were very helpful on the phone and said I wouldn't need the 25amp version for my size of battery.

I had done a temporary repair of the broken lugs of the consumer unit with epoxy putty and it is still rock-solid so I think I'll leave that as it is for now. I'll report back on how the fitting goes. I put one of the loose ceramic parts back on in the second picture so you can see where it should fit. The PCB looks like it's been pretty warm too!

post-70145-0-69768900-1423065450_thumb.jpg

post-70145-0-06086800-1423065490_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tintaglia

For anyone else who treads this way, the charger arrived the following day despite me only paying for basic postage (£3. 95).

There are the usual 3 mains connections to make plus two 12v ones. The mains connections are a straight swap since the charger comes with a new mains cable. The 12v wires need extending. It's quite a simple process as long as you have the correct wire size, connectors and a pair of crimping pliers which you can get for less than £5. http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Electrical-Wire-Cable-Stripper-Crimping-Crimper-Cutter-Pliers-Tool-20-Terminal-/311185470731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item487419750b

I have mounted the charger flat on the floor inside the bed locker, close to the PSU and the motor mover box. If you want to be able to get at the switch for 'float' charging (the setting for if you have no battery installed) make sure you allow clearance to access the switch. I notice AudiPartner above looks like he will struggle with this ;-)

Obviously if you are not completely confident about doing this job yourself, don't!

Edited by Tintaglia