Jump to content


Approved Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About 2seaside

  • Rank
    Over 50 posts

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Location
    south east
  • Towcar
  • Caravan

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. (a) it would be immaterial whether or not your certificate had vanished in the fire, as the inspecting/updating/repairing electrician will have kept records. (b) I understand that it is normally possible for the fire brigade to at least suggest the probable cause of the fire. (c) If they suggest that it was started by an electrical fault, then the insurance company will probably ask when the last inspection was carried out, even if no rewiring/extra sockets had been done. (d) bearing in mind that we are talking about caravans, the Park owner will also be asking the same question.... ++ Incidentally, modern park homes (which are also caravans) the wiring for the sockets and lights is exactly the same as bricks and mortar houses.
  2. In the case of static caravans, including park homes, it is normally in your agreement with your park that any electric work must be carried out by a competent person and that the electrics must be inspected every three years. Often nobody monitors that this is being done - but every insurance company knows that this is a standard requirement, so in the case of an electrical fire will simply ask you when the wiring was last checked and who by. Whoever checked the wiring should be accredited by NICEIC and will have records. It does not usually cost as much as you think to have an accredited company carry out any rewiring, and then you get an inspection and certificate included in the cost.
  3. The receiver will still have to be wired in to the boiler, though. You can have the receiver fitted directly into the boiler if there is no room thermostat. Residential park homes have room thermostats - it seems short-sighted not to extend this to static caravans, with so many holiday parks now giving extended use through the winter periods.
  4. Are you in a static holiday caravan or a residential park home? In both cases, as already said by others, you will need to ask the manufacturer about the weight and the best position for it - the overall weight is unlikely to be a problem, but "spot" loading may be, so (again as already said) you may need to spread the load so that it covers several bearers. You may also (probably will) need to relevel the van and add extra supports underneath. The other questions are, do you have french doors into the room you want to put it in? If it is NOT a residential park home, how will you protect it from condensation in the winter when you are not there? Have you checked whether your insurance company will cover it? (especially if your home is insured as a static, rather than as a residential park home).
  5. The Park is going to love that idea - rusty old eyesore shipping container being craned onto the site.... Have shipping containers changed a lot in the last 10 years? Used to be that anyone with a pair of bolt cutters could get into one. Including the customer if the padlock key was lost.
  6. some of the Asgard sheds are police approved for security, but both makes are pretty secure - would need a lot more than a hammer, screwdriver, shovel or chisel to get into a locked one (actually, it would be easier to get into a static caravan....). Both Asgard and Outbox are made from heavy gauge steel(painted, not plastic coated), all screws&fixings on the inside, and the Asgard ones with lockable handles (probably the Outbox ones as well) are designed so that if anyone tries to force the lock the handle snaps off. They are complete with floors so are pretty vermin-proof (the type with tails and teeth) as well, weather resistant, and - so far - neither of ours have suffered from condensation inside either.
  7. Outbox (http://www.outbox-storage.co.uk/) and Asgard (https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/)both specialise in metal sheds for caravans.. We have both types and think they are very well made (and quite easy to put together as well). ADDED: if you are on a static site, you will need the site owner's permission for any shed.
  8. this website may help https://salamanderstoves.com/installing-stove-caravan/ Presumably you have the static on your own land - if not, you need permission from the site owner before starting. Bear in mind that if you are in a smoke free zone, and if you want to stay on good terms with everyone downwind of the static, you need to fit a modern clean burning stove and make sure you use properly dried kiln wood. Also bear in mind that the extra weight of the hearth and stove combined may affect the static balance, you may need to put extra supports underneath. ADDED: You'll also need to check with your insurance - could be an extra premium, or could simply invalidate your insurance, especially as you plan to fit it yourself so will not have any compliance certificates.
  9. Nah. They would not have bothered to ask about council tax.
  10. This is even more complicated by the fact that the OP wants to keep horses on the same land. Stables also need planning permission, and that will be as hard, if not harder, than planning permission for a static. Horses are unpopular with planning departments for good reasons - they are seriously detrimental to grazing land, stables produce large manure heaps which can be both costly and difficult to dispose of, the storage of hay/straw/woodchips is a big fire hazard (come to that, so are manure heaps), and "horsiculture" has an unfortunate reputation for making the location look scruffy. ADDED: Horses and stables for horses are NOT considered as agricultural.
  11. All to be done BEFORE (a) signing and (b) paying.
  12. Isn't this something that you maybe should have sorted out at the time? There are two aspects to a static (and park home) - the static itself, which is owned outright, and the pitch it is on, which is owned by the park. So yes, the park will expect the sole named person on the contract to be responsible for paying all the pitch fees, utilities supplied by the park, etc. It should be perfectly possible to draw up a contract to show that three of you own the static itself, and if it is sold then the money has to be split three ways - but you will need to ask the park owner to re-issue the contract if you want to make sure that the right to use the pitch, and the responsibility of the fees, is three way liable. Even if the park agrees to this, you can expect that it will be done in such a way that the three of you will be jointly and severally liable, meaning that the park owner can chase all of just one of you for the fees. So if one/two of you does not pay up, the other two/one will have to pay the lot. And as Jaydug says, it may be that anyone not named on the contract is not even allowed to stay on site. Best speak to the park owner ASAP.
  13. Horses do not count as agricultural, so you would not be able to claim that you are using the land as a smallholding. - indeed, if the land is already classed as agricultural you would need to apply to planning for change of use in order to keep horses on it (and most councils will be reluctant to give permission). Stables will also need planning permission. As already suggested, if you have a piece of land in mind, Talk to the planning officers at the local council and they will be able to give you some guidelines about what you can use the land for, and what structures you can put on it. If the land is already used for equestrian business - maybe a livery yard or riding school - and you are planning to continue the business, then you may be able to get planning permission to put a static home for whoever is running or supervising the business - but it will probably come with restrictions about not being used as a permanent/full-time residence.
  14. If it is licensed residential, then you will pay council tax. If it is holiday, then you may - I stress MAY - pay council tax, depending on whether the pitch is treated as a permanent pitch for that specific static or not - i.e, if it is connected to the utilities in such a way that it cannot be easily shifted and if it is owned and used by one family; it may then be treated as a second home. This has caught out several purchasers who assumed that as they paid council tax they could use the lodge as their main or only home; just paying council tax does not turn a static into a residential home. The general information about holiday homes not paying council tax is as accurate as the information out there stating that all park homes are band A rated, which is also incorrect. Most Park homes are band A, but some are rated B, C and in some cases D. Most holiday statics do not pay council tax - but on some parks, they do. All of which is totally irrelevant to the original post querying their pitch fee increase, so apologies for that.
  15. Yes it is. Only it will be classed as business rates, and some parks include it with the pitch fee, some charge it separately. VAT is payable on this. Some councils do charge council tax on holiday homes, in which case the business rates element charged by the park should (but frequently is not) be reduced accordingly. The only thing that is certain is that any park which promotes the pitch fee as "including council tax" is not licensed for residential use.
  • Create New...