Subject: SOUTH LONDON CENTRE: NEW YEAR RALLY
To: Divisions, Regions and Centres
SOUTH LONDON CENTRE: NEW YEAR RALLY
Further to my email of 4 January and in response to replies received subsequently from Centres, I am now able to provide a short update on the incident that took place on South London Centre’s New Year Rally, which was being held in the car park of the village hall in Addington, West Malling, Kent.
A major fire broke out at around 8. 30am on 31 December in a motorhome occupied by three ralliers and their two dogs. Those on site describe it as an explosion, followed immediately by a very severe fire. The Fire Officer believes that the fire may have been caused by a leak from one of the appliances in the motorhome, but the severity of the fire has made it impossible to identify whether that was the case or which appliance it might have been; however, this serves as a timely reminder to all members to note the advice on liquid petroleum gas on pages 647 and 648 of the 2015/16 Sites Directory & Handbook.
The three occupants of the motorhome remain in hospital and one of the dogs died in the incident. The severity of the fire was such that the motorhome and an adjacent caravan were destroyed. Another caravan was badly damaged by heat, a nearby motorhome suffered minor blistering and the village hall saw damage to its windows, guttering and felt roof.
Fire Service vehicles were able to access the incident easily; moreover, the fact that no ralliers in adjacent outfits were injured demonstrates the importance of effective pitch spacing.
In light of a call received from one Centre, I should like to reassure Centres, in particular Rally Officers, that The Club holds Public Liability insurance as detailed in Section 4, Paragraph 1 of General Letters to Centres.
Our thoughts continue to be with those in hospital and those who were on the rally at the time of the incident.
THE CARAVAN CLUB