Although it had only been two weeks since I arrived home with the caravan from Staffordshire, on Saturday, my two daughters and I were packed and ready to set off for Sidmouth in Devon. This time we were going to a rented property which I’d booked early in the year. And what a beautiful place it was. A huge, oak-beamed, open-plan bungalow, divided into three sections for kitchen, dining area and lounge. A bathroom, a laundry room and the three bedrooms, two with en-suite shower rooms, filled the
The Club site at High Onn in Staffordshire was fully booked for the Friday of the August Bank Holiday weekend, so to get a period of ten days, I had to delay my departure. I thought the quietest day for travel would be on the Sunday of the Holiday weekend, and so I was ready to set off by eight o’clock. Within ten miles, I’d reached Junction 10 of the M25, and although the motorway was busy, I got to the turn for the M40 without meeting any congestion. At 80 miles into the journey, I took a coff
During its twenty years, my Avondale has probably not had a change of friction pads in its Winterhoff tow hitch. Certainly they haven't been changed during the last ten years in my ownership, and with the indicator rod moving away from its start line, I decided it was time for a change. There’s a variety of prices to be found online, so it pays to shop around.
The chassis manual says “The pads are very easy to change if worn”. Never-the-less, I decided to remove the hitch from the va
On a Wednesday I set off to the West Country for a two week stay. For the first week, I’d booked a site close to where my two girls and grandson were going to stay. The girls in a rented house and grandson at university. My destination was Falmouth, a journey of some 270 miles distance.
Within ten miles of leaving home, I’d reached junction 10 of the M25 and although it was still only 6.30 in the morning, the motorway was busy, but moving well. After 9 miles on the M25, my route would be th
I was ready to head for home with all the gear packed away, the legs were up and the van was hitched on. Only the lights to check before leaving – and it’s a tedious job when you’re a solo caravanner. Fortunately, a passing dog walker helped me out. All correct – except that I only had three tail lights. The near-side cluster light wasn’t lit. A judicious tap, and it came on, but almost immediately went off again. I decided to leave it for later since I was driving in day-light.
Not until y
When Covid prevented my winter trip to Spain last year, my two daughters joined me during October for a holiday in a mobile home at Westward Ho in Devon. We enjoyed it so much that we decided that sometime in the future, we would return to the same site. Although it was only two weeks since I got back from Winchester, we packed our bags and were ready to leave on Friday morning. Our route to North Devon was via the M25; M3; A303 and the A39 – a journey of just over 200 miles.
In addition to the 230-volt lights, my caravan was fitted with four fluorescent ceiling lights, which were OK and all working well, but if there’s room for an improvement at a modest cost, I like to modify. So the improvement with the change to LED is that they provide a similar amount of light, but at a reduced demand on the 12 volt battery. So for the past few weeks, I’ve been converting the fluorescent fittings to LED.. After the fitting has been removed from the ceiling, it needs to
With the lifting of restrictions and the re-opening of the caravan sites, I made a booking to stay at the Caravan Club site – Morn Hill which is close to both the M3 and to the City of Winchester. I arrived just after mid-day, so there was a good choice of pitches. The site is split into two levels – a higher field where reception is situated, and another field lower down the hill. Since both areas have their own entry barrier, it’s as though they were two separate sites. All the pitches are on
The battery condition meter fitted in my old Avondale caravan was a simple pointer registering on a red/yellow/green scale. But twenty years on, I felt it was time for something better, so on a wet afternoon a couple of weeks ago, I decided to fit a digital volt meter. I’d previously purchased item 352627865033 from ebay.
With the electric disconnected from the van, I took out the control panel, then unplugged the mains supply together with the connectors for the fridge,
When I was away on my last caravan tour, I got up one morning to find there was no water at the taps. After breakfast, I set about trying to find out why. With the tap opened, there was no voltage at the pump socket and the impeller appeared to be seized. Replacing the blade fuse restored the power to the socket, and my cheapo reserve pump kept the taps supplied (rather sluggishly) for the remainder of my stay. However later in the day, I found the pump was working, but without raising any water