Specialist insurance requires specialist knowledge
Motorhome insurance is not like car insurance, it requires specialist knowledge so go to a specialist motorhome insurance provider.
To help you, here are a few questions to ask the insurer when choosing your motorhome insurance policy.
• Does the insurance include breakdown cover?
• Having an accident or breakdown is one thing but will I also be covered for vehicle recovery and repair?
• If I lose my motorhome will the insurance award a ‘like for like’ or a ‘new for old’ replacement value?
• If my motorhome is damaged and deemed unusable, is the cost of alternative accommodation or travel catered for?
• From smashed windows to a pan fire, does the policy cover vandalism and accidental damage?
• Is there a mileage limit per trip or per year?
• Are trailers towed by my motorhome also covered by the policy?
• Will I be fully covered for European travel (or even farther afield) and is there any time limit?
• Does the policy cover more than one driver?
• What is the level of cover for contents and personal effects?
• Are awnings, generators and gas bottles, etc., covered?
• Does the policy cover windscreen/ glass replacement?
• If I lose my keys, is the cost of replacements covered?
• If I find myself in a dispute will my legal fees be covered?
• What is the excess on the policy?
• Take time to get a number of quotes from various companies and compare them like for like, and it is always a good idea to see if companies will match or better quotes.
In addition, make sure that you get any discounts you may be entitled to. This could include discounts for being a member of a caravan/motorhome club or for having a no-claims record.
Costs can also be reduced if tracking, parking sensors and additional security devices are fitted and if you have safe storage or you do low annual mileage.
Increasing the excess could also reduce the cost of your motorhome insurance. However, if you had to make a claim you might regret putting your excess up to high.
Here at Caravan Talk you’ll find that lots of our members have a great deal of specialist knowledge about motorhomes and caravans. If you are not yet a member why not join today and tap into the wide range of expertise available on our forum?
Caravan insurance – A useful guide
Insurance advice from the Ombudsman
Car insurance and caravan towing
Caravan Servicing and Warranty Security
Static caravan insurance
The benefits of motorhome insurance