Inconsiderate Drivers

trevorrey

Why is it that on some roads, some drivers would be willing to risk their life to get past a caravan or a lorry, just to get in front of them. ???

I was travelling to Pooley Bridge nr. Ullswater on the A69 just past blanchland on an incline (dual carriageway and at the top of the hill it then goes into single carriageway

plenty of warning signs telling you it was changing to single carriageway, when an idiot in a merc decided he wanted to pass me, he was side by side with me as the road was getting narrower and nearly took my front end off, if it wasnt for me slowing to let him pass, he wouldnt have made it.

What an absolute clown.

We had the same problems with idiots on the trip back home as well

r

I think either give way and let him go OR if you see him coming and want to close him down in good time; move into the centre of the two lanes and own it. I would probably let him go though. I used to drive lorries and its an everyday event; more than once a day.

• Like 5

I try to keep carm and let them in/by saying to myself 'I'm the better person for not increasing risk for sake of one road position'

They are probably thinking 'I'm better than you so I deserve to be in front at any cost'

• Like 5

Regards,

Kevin

Honda F-RV towing 1999 Bailey Senator Montana

OH and I actually laugh at the 'got to get past the caravan' mentality! Be it pulling out sharply from a junction in front of you, or as you say taking crazing overtaking manoeuvres just to get past you! But we're you in that brigade before you became a caravanner???

I'd have to hold my hand up and say I probably was! :(

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

It's the norm these days, you don't have to be pulling a caravan either, some people just have to be in front.

Edited by Marks

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Sadly this is the way driving is on our roads today, even when travelling solo.

I got overtaken earlier this year whilst towing only for the car to jam on the brakes as he was turning left.

It was a good test for my reactions, the car & caravan brakes and also the way I had packed everything in the van :angry:

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

Whenever I come across the driving behaviour described in the OP, which is not very frequently, I normally regard it as a judgement error by the overtaking driver. All I would need to do is ease off the throttle for the brief period needed to prevent the error from being compounded into a more dangerous situation.

I do not consider myself to be a perfect driver but hope to aspire to being a good driver by minimising my errors of judgement and driving with due consideration for other road users.

Edited by DeeTee
  • Like 4

I had one of these. I reported him to the police.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Many people have poor overtaking skills. They tailgate the vehicle they want to pass, so have poor visibility, and waste half the opportunity - just to have to rush it at the end.

My daily commute (50 miles each way) is on a winding road, with some decent overtaking places. The cars are often so close together, and driving in a daze, that its hard to overtake - I sometimes have to overtake five or six together with the tractor that they're following like sheep! This then wakes them up and one or two might follow me at the next straight section.

Edited to add: The really dangerous ones then pull out to overtake without checking their mirror - I've had a couple of them in recent weeks.

Edited by A11
  • Like 2

And of course any one hates having their visibility reduced by having to follow either a perceived slow moving van or caravan

The real problem is that a heck of a lot of miss informed drivers don't believe their eyes when a 4x4 towing a van roars off faster than them, or they try to catch a Merc van, which really p***es them off or even anmpty Volvo truck out drags them at the lights. .. That's when you get real problems when they think they still have the right to pass in these situations.

• Like 1

I think either give way and let him go OR if you see him coming and want to close him down in good time; move into the centre of the two lanes and own it. I would probably let him go though. I used to drive lorries and its an everyday event; more than once a day.

DO NOT DO THIS, IT IS TERRIBLE ADVICE. Last week I was travelling along a dual caarigeway when I started to see signs of road works ahead and that the outer lane was closed ahead. All of a sudden several vehicles in front of me moved over which left just one vehicle in front of me and a white Transit van doing exactly what you have advised, crawling along hogging both lanes preventing traffic in the outer lane from proceeding as far as they could. Lovely, I got my wife to take my mobile and video it. It has been down loaded and is now in the hands of the Police and I am chuffed.

I did this two years ago and my wife and I attended attended Court as she was the one that took video as I was driving, in a nutshell he was convicted of driving without due care and attension for other road users and fined plus penalty points on his licence. I was was over the moon served him right. When we left the Court outside he started to swear and mouth off so I said come on pal if you want to attack me I'll see you back in there charged with GBH upon which his wife/girlfriend or whatever grabbed him and marched him off.

The highway is not a playground.

Edited by Lucy30
  • Like 2

Let them go. I'd rather be behind these numptys. You can always phone the emergency services when you see them wrapped around a tree just up the road.

Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Hi All

the post above are good reason to get a dash cam

I have a front and rear cam expensive :D at £43via amazon shipped from China

:-https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=X16kiyDtTms&index=15&list=PLFB79814F24001328

for reviews various dash cams by Techmoan

http://www. techmoan. com/guide-to-dashcams/

Dave

Overtook a woman in a CRV (she was doing fifty ish) when we were towing along the M8 a few months back . ... she obviously didn't like it, so overtook us, pulled in, braked and gave us the V sign! She wasn't a young woman either.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

DO NOT DO THIS, IT IS TERRIBLE ADVICE. Last week I was travelling along a dual caarigeway when I started to see signs of road works ahead and that the outer lane was closed ahead. All of a sudden several vehicles in front of me moved over which left just one vehicle in front of me and a white Transit van doing exactly what you have advised, crawling along hogging both lanes preventing traffic in the outer lane from proceeding as far as they could. Lovely, I got my wife to take my mobile and video it. It has been down loaded and is now in the hands of the Police and I am chuffed.

I did this two years ago and my wife and I attended attended Court as she was the one that took video as I was driving, in a nutshell he was convicted of driving without due care and attension for other road users and fined plus penalty points on his licence. I was was over the moon served him right. When we left the Court outside he started to swear and mouth off so I said come on pal if you want to attack me I'll see you back in there charged with GBH upon which his wife/girlfriend or whatever grabbed him and marched him off.

Lucy

Its not where traffic are crawling along, its where according to the post the traffic are about to merge into one lane. If when pulling a caravan or driving a lorry you allow as per the post; traffic to continually pull across your path at speed whilst merging,you are inviting an accident. Much better to use defensive driving and close off a potential disaster. I also would as per my post give way. But there are times when I can see a situation becoming a real death trap; thats when defensive driving is needed. I belive the road traffic act has just been changed to stop barging-in for this reason. Its now 3 penalty points

Last weekend returning from Blackmore in Malvern on the B4424 which is twisting road up and down hills, we were stuck behind a car doing less 30mph. Some idiot in a Passat decided to have a go at overtaking us and as it he did so realise that there was a car in front of us. To this day we are not sure how he manage to miss the oncoming Mini car or the car in front of us as he overtook going up one of the inclines on the road.

Lucy

Its not where traffic are crawling along, its where according to the post the traffic are about to merge into one lane. If when pulling a caravan or driving a lorry you allow as per the post; traffic to continually pull across your path at speed whilst merging,you are inviting an accident. Much better to use defensive driving and close off a potential disaster. I also would as per my post give way. But there are times when I can see a situation becoming a real death trap; thats when defensive driving is needed. I belive the road traffic act has just been changed to stop barging-in for this reason. Its now 3 penalty points

You are NOT a Poice Officer and have absolutely no jurisdiction to take the law into your own hands whatsoever which is exactly what you are doing and decide what is best and to drive without duwe care and attension for other road users, the case I reported cost a driver a conviction and penalty points which proves me right and you wrong, the Court found him guilty. Do it in front of me please and the same will happen without any reservation then you can try and argue with the Court instead of me. End of chat on this one.

Many people have poor overtaking skills. They tailgate the vehicle they want to pass, so have poor visibility, and waste half the opportunity - just to have to rush it at the end.

My daily commute (50 miles each way) is on a winding road, with some decent overtaking places. The cars are often so close together, and driving in a daze, that its hard to overtake - I sometimes have to overtake five or six together with the tractor that they're following like sheep! This then wakes them up and one or two might follow me at the next straight section.

Edited to add: The really dangerous ones then pull out to overtake without checking their mirror - I've had a couple of them in recent weeks.

:goodpost: No--excellent posting. It's frequently not the initial slow moving vehicle that's the problem, it's the dozers in positions 2 & 3 that create the convoy effect. Having said that, there are far too many drivers of slow moving vehicles that are either ignorant of rule 169 of the HC or bloodymindedly choose not to comply. The RTA also covers this situation in their section on "Inconsiderate Driving".

NO--This is excellent advice. I sincerely trust we never cross paths, and I will be happy to take my chances in court---in the unlikely event it even got that far.

• Like 3

NO--This is excellent advice. I sincerely trust we never cross paths, and I will be happy to take my chances in court---in the unlikely event it even got that far.

+1

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Overtaking and pushing in are just about my pet hate whilst towing. Last weekend we came up the M5 and M6 on our way home from Bromyard to Cheshire. If I had a pound for every time I was cut up it bwould have paid for my fuel. Most times it happened as we approached a lane closure and some people seamed to think everyone had got into the correct lane early just so they could come up the outside and push in at the last minute. Also, I always try to leave a safe gap between myself and the vehicle in front only to find some idiot roar past and pull into my "safety zone" . Might I just add that I do not dawdle on the motorway but stick to the speed limits in force wherever conditions allow. Such examples of bad driving have led to my buying a dash cam so at least I will have evidence when the inevitable happens.

You are NOT a Poice Officer and have absolutely no jurisdiction to take the law into your own hands whatsoever which is exactly what you are doing and decide what is best and to drive without duwe care and attension for other road users, the case I reported cost a driver a conviction and penalty points which proves me right and you wrong, the Court found him guilty. Do it in front of me please and the same will happen without any reservation then you can try and argue with the Court instead of me. End of chat on this one.

However, it would seem to me that YOU would very much like to be a Police Officer.

Happy hunting :ph34r:

You obviously havent read the original post in detail. Its the guy in the merc thats the inconsiderate road user and is causing a potential RTA. People in the real world dont unfortunately dont drive to the highway code; many cause tragic accidents. If you want to endanger your own life in a percieved situation -carry on. The road traffic act changed last year to stop inconsiderate drivers like the one in the merc from barging in ;so you need to refresh your understanding of this. I will end my input as its clearly an immotive subject with you. But have a nice day anyway.

• Like 1