#1901 exkiaman

exkiaman

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life to the full!

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:40 pm

Off topic, but am I the only one who glances at Steamdrivenandy's signature and sees "embalming blogspot". ?

Phew - that's better.

Reckon you need a quick trip to Specsavers, Bryan!  :lol:

#1902 maplecottage

maplecottage

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Towcar:Land Rover Discovery 3 (with mods)
  • Caravan:Bailey U3 Vigo

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:49 am

Well you will like the table in the cartagena, its very lightweight!

Agreed - it's much lighter than previous models.  Our S6 table was a monster.

I've yet to decide if it's a pain being under the bed  :rolleyes:

#1903 Unicorn Cadiz 3

Unicorn Cadiz 3

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 6 posts
  • Towcar:Skoda Superb Estate
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cadiz

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:07 pm

Hi everyone. Just joined the group. Collected U3 Cadiz last week, very impressed so far, that is until it rained! After emptying the emergency bowl and bucket placed under the light socket over each of the bed pillows it has now gone back to my dealer.  I thought dampness was a thing of the past, but half a bucket of rainwater is no joke!  My missus is rather upset and says we should reject the van, but I will await Dealer/Bailey report.  Is this a one off probem?  Should I be very patient? :angry:

#1904 Alan Stanley

Alan Stanley

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts
  • Interests:LIVE LIFE AND PROSPER. Vanning, Archery, Woodwork.
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento 2014 Kx3
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia 3

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:25 pm

Hi everyone. Just joined the group. Collected U3 Cadiz last week, very impressed so far, that is until it rained! After emptying the emergency bowl and bucket placed under the light socket over each of the bed pillows it has now gone back to my dealer.  I thought dampness was a thing of the past, but half a bucket of rainwater is no joke!  My missus is rather upset and says we should reject the van, but I will await Dealer/Bailey report.  Is this a one off probem?  Should I be very patient? :angry:

That's not good. Please keep us updated as to cause and what you decide.  Rejection can only be a personal decision though in this case I would be considering what your SWMBO wants very very carefully.  

Whatever hope you get it sorted.  For what it's worth I am not aware of any similar reports on the Unicorn 3.  The water must have been tracking from either a body seam or a fixing through the roof like a sky light.  Unless of course somehow it has a hole knocked in the roof.  Tracing where it got in should not be difficult please let us know.  

Edited by Alan Stanley, 22 January 2015 - 01:26 pm.

#1905 Gaz40

Gaz40

Over 1000 posts

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:36 pm

Sorry to hear of your problem .

Is this leak in the area of the rear roof joint ?

#1906 Steamdrivenandy

Steamdrivenandy

Random Word Generator aka SDA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,632 posts
  • Interests:Steam (GWR King 6024)
    Eribas
    Garden Design
  • Towcar:'17 Plate Skoda Yeti 1.2Tsi DSG
  • Caravan:2012MY Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:00 pm

Well if it's filled bowls on both beds it doesn't suggest a leak through a side/roof joint, or if it has then both sides have the same problem, which is unlikely. The rooflight is positioned at about mid bed point and the middle of the van, so again an unlikely source, although water can do funny things. The roof join seems most likely as that could affect both sides, but the joint is a fair bit forward of the bed lights, which are themselves under the roof lockers. The OP hasn't mentioned water being in the rear lockers, which you would expect if the lights under them were dripping. Also there are pelmet lights right by the roof joint on each side and no mention of water from them.

Mysterious   

#1907 Unicorn Cadiz 3

Unicorn Cadiz 3

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:06 pm

I do appreciate the very prompt and sympathetic response to my Cadiz waterfall.  What a friendly group.  After the rain the water seems to be run down both lighting cables into the end lockers and then drips off the lights themselves, either side.  It's a good job I had not yet removed the polythene off the bed mattresses (or all my spare cash would get soggy - oops! I forgot to remove it before returning to dealer).

#1908 matelodave

matelodave

Senior Member with over 5000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,627 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, walking, caravanning, reading & drinking beer

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:17 pm

Where is that in relation to the roof joint and the Heki rooflight. In front, behind or in line. Was the van roughly horizontal or tilted forward or backwards as I suppose there's a possibility that water could pool on  the roof along the roof joint if it was slightly nose up.

I'm surprised as Bailey reckon they do a soak test on all vans although I guess it could take a couple of hour of heavy rain to percolate through.

Really sorry to hear you've got a problem but please keep us posted - our Cadiz is due early March and I'm sure you don't want to be a guinea pig but it's useful to get feedback on what needs to be checked from someone who's been there before.

#1909 Unicorn Cadiz 3

Unicorn Cadiz 3

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:32 pm

I do appreciate the very prompt and sympathetic response to my Cadiz waterfall.  What a friendly group.  After the rain the water seems to be run down both lighting cables into the end lockers and then drips off the lights themselves, either side.  It's a good job I had not yet removed the polythene off the bed mattresses (or all my spare cash would get soggy - oops! I forgot to remove it before returning to dealer).

Just after I posted my previous message i had a call from my dealer to say that a couple of engineers came over from Bristol today to inspect, and found a fault with the strap over the van over the join in the roof.  Allegedly, when made up, a contaminant, possibly a leaf, was introduced onto the adhesive section, thus preventing a perfect seal.  This alegedly has now been re-sealed.  Tomorrow they will test again with water and return van to us.  I agreed to accept delivery on the express condition that the same problem did not re-occur otherwise we would use our consumer rights.  I will keep you posted if any further problem.

#1910 Unicorn Cadiz 3

Unicorn Cadiz 3

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:41 pm

Where is that in relation to the roof joint and the Heki rooflight. In front, behind or in line. Was the van roughly horizontal or tilted forward or backwards as I suppose there's a possibility that water could pool on  the roof along the roof joint if it was slightly nose up.

I'm surprised as Bailey reckon they do a soak test on all vans although I guess it could take a couple of hour of heavy rain to percolate through.

Really sorry to hear you've got a problem but please keep us posted - our Cadiz is due early March and I'm sure you don't want to be a guinea pig but it's useful to get feedback on what needs to be checked from someone who's been there before.

Thanks, no doubt Bailey will have solved this one by the time you receive yours.  I did have the van set level, but when tipped nose down, the water ran to the front locker, so I tipped it level again.  Do members recommend storing tilted?

#1911 xtrailman

xtrailman

Prestige member with over 10000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,793 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!
  • Towcar:Mazda
  • Caravan:Swift

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:11 pm

I would defiantly ask the dealer if they could replace the Cadiz with a new one, it might suit Bailey.
And save you any lost touring time?

Ask them.

Edited by xtrailman, 22 January 2015 - 04:18 pm.

#1912 DeeTee

DeeTee

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,716 posts
  • Interests:Photography,

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:28 pm

My understanding of SoGA is that the buyer is obliged to allow the seller to repair the faulty caravan unless the fault or faults cause  the caravan be not fit for purpose, not as described or not of satisfactory quality.

#1913 Gaz40

Gaz40

Over 1000 posts

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:45 pm

Well if it's filled bowls on both beds it doesn't suggest a leak through a side/roof joint, or if it has then both sides have the same problem, which is unlikely. The rooflight is positioned at about mid bed point and the middle of the van, so again an unlikely source, although water can do funny things. The roof join seems most likely as that could affect both sides, but the joint is a fair bit forward of the bed lights, which are themselves under the roof lockers. The OP hasn't mentioned water being in the rear lockers, which you would expect if the lights under them were dripping. Also there are pelmet lights right by the roof joint on each side and no mention of water from them.

Mysterious   

Looks like it was the roof joint then.

Thanks, no doubt Bailey will have solved this one by the time you receive yours.  I did have the van set level, but when tipped nose down, the water ran to the front locker, so I tipped it level again.  Do members recommend storing tilted?

If you had a leak into the front locker also, I personally would reject the caravan. I've had my fill of messing about with issues that develop later but in saying that, sometimes its better the devil you know and it your decision only.

Best of luck either way ;)

Edited by Gaz40, 22 January 2015 - 04:46 pm.

#1914 matelodave

matelodave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,627 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, walking, caravanning, reading & drinking beer

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:52 pm

Which front locker? - I didn't think the Cadiz had any at the front, aren't all the lockers on the sides.

#1915 sureflow

sureflow

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Family. Dog. Caravaning. Trail Walking.
  • Towcar:Honda CRV SE manual 2012
  • Caravan:Unicorn Cadiz Mk 3

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:01 pm

Just after I posted my previous message i had a call from my dealer to say that a couple of engineers came over from Bristol today to inspect, and found a fault with the strap over the van over the join in the roof.  Allegedly, when made up, a contaminant, possibly a leaf, was introduced onto the adhesive section, thus preventing a perfect seal.  This alegedly has now been re-sealed.  Tomorrow they will test again with water and return van to us.  I agreed to accept delivery on the express condition that the same problem did not re-occur otherwise we would use our consumer rights.  I will keep you posted if any further problem.

Sounds like a big leaf to me.But I do hope they have fixed it for you.

• Gaz40 and richard2387 like this

#1916 Llew

Llew

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:Family, the dog, Rugby and caravanning
  • Towcar:2008 Honda CRV 2:2cdti EX
  • Caravan:2017 Sprite Dealer Special

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:16 pm

Due to the popularity of the U3, and some people complaining about how long they are having to wait for their vans, Bailey seem to be rushing them out now to the detriment of quality. You can't have it both ways, It wouldn't worry me how long they took to build it as long as the quality was right.

#1917 richard2387

richard2387

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Towcar:vw passat
  • Caravan:vigo 3

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:18 pm

[quote name="sureflow" post="1133500" timestamp="1421946101"]

Sounds like a big leaf to me.But I do hope they have fixed it for you.[/quot

Please my comments on the other u3 thread some time back

one thing i have noticed and will certainly watch is- where the roof join is, it holds water between the awning rail and the join rail across roof ,tipping it nose down stops it one way but then it holds the other side

i only votice because its parked under my bedroom window and can see whats happening (new vigo)

i dont have a leak or anything but they must have real faith in the seals to effectively have it underwater for long periods

one to keep an eye on..

#1918 iDriver

iDriver

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Photography - Metal Detecting - Quadcopters - Ham Radio
  • Towcar:Mercedes Vito Dualiner Sport 220 CDI. 3.0l V6 Auto
  • Caravan:U3 Cartagena

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:21 pm

My understanding of SoGA is that the buyer is obliged to allow the seller to repair the faulty caravan unless the fault or faults cause  the caravan be not fit for purpose, not as described or not of satisfactory quality.

The first question to consider is how the buyer financed the purchase because if its all or partially bought on HP then the SoGA is irrelevant as it is the Supply of Goods Implied Terms Act that applies instead.

Assuming it is not subject to HP then the SoGA does apply and from what has been stated you get into the question of what constitutes "Satisfactory Quality". If we were talking about a door that needed adjusting or a break lining that was binding or anything else that was nearly an adjustment or replacement of a minor part then you would struggle with the "not of satisfactory quality argument" laid against the whole caravan. However, in this case we appear to be talking about a fundamental defect in the assembly and sealing of the outer shell of the caravan that will require some significant disassembly of the whole structure if it is to be repaired to the standard of a new and correctly assembled caravan. For me that would be a simple case to argue for rejection but is that what the owner wants?

Rejection is for a full refund. The alternative is to seek repair or replacement and I suspect the latter 'replacement' is what he wants.

• DeeTee likes this

#1919 DeeTee

DeeTee

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,716 posts
  • Interests:Photography,

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:17 pm

One wonders how this caravan slipped through the new testing regime at the manufacturers. One would have expected that any faults slipping through the manufacturers post production checks would have been picked up during the PDI- or is that too much to expect?

Edited by DeeTee, 22 January 2015 - 06:17 pm.

#1920 xtrailman

xtrailman

Prestige member with over 10000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,793 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!
  • Towcar:Mazda
  • Caravan:Swift

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:33 pm

One wonders how this caravan slipped through the new testing regime at the manufacturers. One would have expected that any faults slipping through the manufacturers post production checks would have been picked up during the PDI- or is that too much to expect?

Perhaps a bucket wasn't on hand so they missed that test out? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users