Tow Bar Fitting

tom11746

Hi need a towbar for a Koleos 2wd with twin electrics . I have searched internet, prices vary so much between buy to fit and having one fitted any advice or reccomendations. South Yorkshire area

They just bolt on, very easy to fit if you make sure you get one that does not need a bumper cutting. The electrics are a little more complex and come in different varieties. The vehicle specific kits are a good start but more expensive.

Also depends on the type of towbar you need i. e. Detachable, flange, fixed etc. .. Also depending on your van, if you have a fixed type fitted you may also need an ALKO type towball, not the standard towball that most fitters fit.

Be sure to explain to your fitter exactly what you want from your towbar re: electrical specifications and ball type.

I would highly recommend finding an approved towbar fitter though, use somebody from the NTTA directory if possible.

NTTA Approved Fitters

http://www. ntta. co. uk/buyers_guide/towbars. html

NTTA Approved Mobile Fitters

http://www. ntta. co. uk/buyers_guide/towbars_mobile_fitters. html

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

prices vary so much between buy to fit and having one fitted

This is exactly my own dilemma. Having taken delivery of another Citroen C5, I'm quoted £525 for fitting a Witter flanged bar with twin electrics. And yet I can buy the same Witter bar for around £100. Cabling and parts will be another 70 or so quid so I'm opting for the DIY route.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Hi need a towbar for a Koleos 2wd with twin electrics . I have searched internet, prices vary so much between buy to fit and having one fitted any advice or reccomendations. South Yorkshire area

I use Barnsley Towbar Centre good fitters and a good price :)

• I agree completely 1

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I use Barnsley Towbar Centre good fitters and a good price :)

I second that, I've used BTC on numerous occasions and Ray and Michelle always give good advice and excellent service at a reasonable price.

Davros

Thanks got a quote from BTC not the cheapest. anyone know of Towbar Express they come to your location reasonable quote.

I am pretty competent at DIY but it is the electrics that I am concerned about, how easy are they to sort?

I'm sure I was around £280 fitted for a swan neck towbar on my Koleos 2wd in Jan 2012.

I've recently changed to an Antara and fitted my own towbar and dedicated electrics for £320. It was an easy fit as the electrics are all prewired to a single plug. Not sure about the Renault set up.

Check out pfjones website for some advice.

Bailey GT65 Ancona Following Vauxhall Antara

I just had a reply from Renault Sheffield 639. 00 pounds :ph34r: I am typing this from the floor. Jees :o

I just had a reply from Renault Sheffield 639. 00 pounds :ph34r: I am typing this from the floor. Jees :o

Most main dealers actually just get a mobile guy in to fit one for a low fixed price. They mark up the work massively.

Mahatma Gandhi

Since you asked about fitting yourself Im guessing you are capable, so Id suggest buy and fit the bar yourself then get an auto spark or towbar place to do the electrics.

We have used Rotherham Towbar Centre, Chapel Lane, Rotherham for more than 20 years. Telephone 01709 362629. Never had a problem with them. They are very helpful.

They fitted one on my Avensis :(

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I used Towsure. ..£280 delivered £60 fitted with twin electrics at my work address.

hi guys just beware i haggled with the dealer that i purchased my hyundai tucson (main dealer) from thought ide done well till i tried to hook up the van, towbar was fine but the electrics what a mess, on contacting the dealer i found that they had farmed the fitting out to a mobile technician i took a look at the electrics my self only to find that this twit had taken live feeds for the fridge and the battery charger from the cigarette lighter in the boot and the boot courtesy light durr, the mobile guy explained that in 20 yrs fitting towbars this is the way he had allways fitted them, so i decided to sort it myself, running a new lead from the car battery through a fuse to a smartcom relay and and to the 12s socket, 3 yrs on and no probs at all, just BEWARE, martin

hi guys just beware i haggled with the dealer that i purchased my hyundai tucson (main dealer) from thought ide done well till i tried to hook up the van, towbar was fine but the electrics what a mess, on contacting the dealer i found that they had farmed the fitting out to a mobile technician i took a look at the electrics my self only to find that this twit had taken live feeds for the fridge and the battery charger from the cigarette lighter in the boot and the boot courtesy light durr, the mobile guy explained that in 20 yrs fitting towbars this is the way he had allways fitted them, so i decided to sort it myself, running a new lead from the car battery through a fuse to a smartcom relay and and to the 12s socket, 3 yrs on and no probs at all, just BEWARE, martin

Yes, that is exactly what had been done to mine. The 'mobile fitter' had also not tested his work as the indicators where reversed.

Mahatma Gandhi

Just got a quote for Insignia ST from local dealer in Plymouth - £495 all in with 13pin electrics.

hi there

why not just do it your self, buy the tow bar and kit, down load instructions from internet and play to your hearts content, very easy to do and cost next to nothing, try it and if you fail then get someone else to do it

Hi Tom

I bought my detachable towbar from PF Jones, £265 with dedicated electrics, dead easy to fit, and they also have a helpline if you get stuck.

I dont know if your car will need to be told that the towbar is present either, because mine is a mondeo and needs to go to the dealer for re-coding to enable the electrics.

Good Luck

Trev

All very well to say do it yourself, but most modern cars now need "re-programming" once the electrics are fitted and that will cost if you have to take it back to your dealer. We used to fit ourselves but don't bother anymore.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Pay thousands of for a car then worry about a couple of hundred seems a bit silly to me . Get a proper tow bar fitter to do it and then you have someone to claim off if aything goes wrong.

Had quote yesterday for swan neck & &13 pin electric to Merc C220 from Towbar Express. £364 fitted at my home address.

Booking it today as they need 3-4 days notice

we were quoted just a few days but then it turned out that Witter were out of stock of bars for a Kuga - and so were Westfalia. Obviously they have such a vast range that it must be a fine balancing act to ensure that everything is in stock when they are made in batches and we were just very unlucky that two of the main suppliers were both out of stock of the same bar at the same time. Had to postpone the fitting date by a couple of weeks but still done in time to get away.

Had quote yesterday for swan neck & &13 pin electric to Merc C220 from Towbar Express. £364 fitted at my home address.

Booking it today as they need 3-4 days notice

I didn't book it as i forgot, had email today stating price reduced to £299, if I carry on forgetting I should have a free towbar fitted in 6 weeks time. Am booking them in tomorrow tho

from memory the Renault koleos does have a tow plug in the back for the lights but not for the live feeds, no smart relay needed, just use a standard buzzer. but to fit the bar the bumper does need to be removed