Reporting A Fault To My Dealer

If I need to report a fault on my new caravan to my supplying dealer (who I have a contract with) and I require assistance from Forum members who may have had a similar problem with their new caravan, are we allowed to discuss our mutual experiences with each other on this Forum if we solely concern ourselves with responses only to and from our supplying Dealership - without mentioning any reference to the Manufacturer (with whom we do not have a Contract?????)

Pabst

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I need to report a fault on my new caravan to my supplying dealer (who I have a contract with) and I require assistance from Forum members who may have had a similar problem with their new caravan, are we allowed to discuss our mutual experiences with each other on this Forum if we solely concern ourselves with responses only to and from our supplying Dealership - without mentioning any reference to the Manufacturer (with whom we do not have a Contract?????)

Pabst

Yes you can, but be careful otherwise we will have another locked topic. :P

i had problems with my new van and the dealer didnt really want to know so i contacted the builder after contacting tradeing standards once i informed the builders that they paid my fuel expenses to take the van back to the factory to be repaired

Pabst

the thing is we do have a contract with are Manafacturer as well. If not why do they insist on ourselves having the van serviced every year . If it was simply down to the dealer I would of had my van fixed months ago. But they could not move forward until the Manafacturer gave the green light. Anyway on the advise of certain people I am moving forward with legal action now against ny dealer and my Manafacturer. As I know when it comes to court that the dealer will be able to prove it was the Manafacturer who had stopped any repairs being done.

Admin Comment

There is no problem discussing issues with your caravan as long as it is understood that, if you have a legitimate complaint there are recognised channels and processes for making and resolving your complaint, the forum does not feature in any of them.

Where we believe the forum is being used in a way which could bring it into disrepute, or be exposed to potential litigation then we will take appropriate measures to protect it.

Over reaction and big brother tactics! And to think I paid to support you as a board, because I thought it was here for the benefit of all and not just for when we wanted to praise a dealer. manufacturer.

Over reaction and big brother tactics! And to think I paid to support you as a board, because I thought it was here for the benefit of all and not just for when we wanted to praise a dealer. manufacturer.

:goodpost:

Well I was going to support CT and pay my subscription, guess I wont be now. As we seemed to get blocked, locked or deleted when admin thinks we are on a sensitive subject.

So much for free speech.

Swift Colonsay 2006 2013 bailey valencia u2-- 2013 Elddis Affinity 550- 2017 Adria adora isonzo 613 platinum

Admin Comment

There is no problem discussing issues with your caravan as long as it is understood that, if you have a legitimate complaint there are recognised channels and processes for making and resolving your complaint, the forum does not feature in any of them.

Where we believe the forum is being used in a way which could bring it into disrepute, or be exposed to potential litigation then we will take appropriate measures to protect it.

GPS

I know that I post some tongue in cheek posts and I'm certainly not an enemy of CT. .....BUT "litigation" what is the legal ruling ??

Would potential litigation apply to CT by members when said members who post on a product with faults that are truthful and legitimate. (Especially ones who financially contribute to CT) Could it be "breach of contract" not being able to post the truth and discrediting their individual reputation, OK if we are guest of CT. maybe no contracts are formed but responsibility or a duty of care may also apply with CT with its members and their posts.

Would CT be also open to litigation when they encourage new members to post on "All things caravanning" but then close posts or openly or privately caution individual members that are invited onto CT forums, with legal action against them for posting their truthful experiences.

Could not CT members reputations being compromised (within law) when legitimately complaining about caravanning products they have purchased and their posts are deleted or locked, especially when the said manufacture has a history of communicating with members in open forums, therefore openly inviting owner and none owners comments on their products.

I may not have explained the above correctly, but please do not automatically lock this topic if you think my post is compromising.

Regards Gaz40

Edited by Gaz40

locked topic

Edited by ncmorgan

Honda crv ex 2. 2 manual

elddis 20/6 2017

GPS

I know that I post some tongue in cheek posts and I'm certainly not an enemy of CT. .....BUT "litigation" what is the legal ruling ??

Would potential litigation apply to CT by members when said members who post on a product with faults that are truthful and legitimate. (Especially ones who financially contribute to CT) Could it be "breach of contract" not being able to post the truth and discrediting their individual reputation, OK if we are guest of CT. maybe no contracts are formed but responsibility or a duty of care may also apply with CT with its members and their posts.

Would CT be also open to litigation when they encourage new members to post on "All things caravanning" but then close posts or openly or privately caution individual members that are invited onto CT forums, with legal action against them for posting their truthful experiences.

Could not CT members reputations being compromised (within law) when legitimately complaining about caravanning products they have purchased and their posts are deleted or locked, especially when the said manufacture has a history of communicating with members in open forums, therefore openly inviting owner and none owners comments on their products.

I may not have explained the above correctly, but please do not automatically lock this topic if you think my post is compromising.

Regards Gaz40

Gaz, do I take it that you agree with the rest of my post, as the only thing you have picked up on is the word 'litigation'.

I actually said 'potential litigation', I hope you would agree that it is better to prevent litigation than to have to defend it.

As I have said previously, I have every sympathy with anyone that has a problem with their caravan, but the forum is not the place to make demands of anyone, and that includes any manufacturer that chooses to be a member.

We have a legal system in the UK with specific legislation to deal with complaints, if a solicitor acting on behalf of a dealer or manufacturer became aware of some of what has been posted on the forum, they would have a field day in court using it to besmirch the integrity of the claimant, because it is not who is right, or who is wrong when it gets to court, it is who puts forward the most convincing argument.

Unfortunately there are those on the forum who believe that if they cannot post what they want we are over moderating, what is missed is the fact that they cannot self moderate themselves, and believe they have a right to post anything they like.

The forum has rules, the same ones everyone agreed to when they joined, the moderators interpret those rules in the best interests of both the forum and it's members.

Then apply the rules fairly and equally across all the boards for all topics and manufacturer groups. You say you have every sympathy with those of us who are having problems with our caravans. I don't think that you do. In fact I don't think that you have any idea of how frustrated and angry we are at all!

To some on here this is the only place where they are able to vent that frustration to like minded people who may be suffering the same problem. It may not actually do them any good, but at least they feel that someone out there is listening! And then when they feel that perhaps as a group of people they are getting enough information and advice to seek out the best method for a resolution, along you come with the same old Admin diatribe and lock us down and send us PM warnings about our conduct.

Nobody on here to the best of my knowledge has lied, fabricated faults or failures or made threats to either person or organisation unless the moderators think that someone saying they are 'going legal' is a threat. All we have done is come on here and spoken to each other and indeed vented our frustrations at having spent collectively hundreds of thousands of pounds with company's who don't seem to care. Litigation. .. seriously? I have spent most of my working life applying the law and I like others on here have come nowhere near falling foul of it. In terms of a solicitor picking up what is happening on these boards, believe me I am seriously counting on the fact that my solicitor, when it comes to it, does just that!

Not wishing to get any topic locked but it's a pity the cracked ABS panel topic(s) got a bit out of hand. I currently don't have any problems with my Elddis but feel the more people who report problems on a public forum, the more chance there is of getting a satisfactory outcome if faults develop in the future. I booked my van in for it's first service yesterday, the dealer asked if there where any faults. When I said no, even the rear panel isn't cracked, he was surprised I was aware of the problem and was curious as to how I found out about it. I think the dealer network would, for obvious reasons, prefer us to keep widespread fault reporting under our hats. :ph34r:

And that's the truth! My dealer told me the other day (and we are talking a BIG dealer), said that they had not heard of a cracked rear panel for about a year. Obviously he is not being kept informed or has perhaps had a leave of absence. That is why I would have thought that groups such as this performed a vital service to its members, but it appears that this is not the case.

Maybe the dealers get all the info from a forum as we do.

It just gets locked as we do. when they feel like it.

Swift Colonsay 2006 2013 bailey valencia u2-- 2013 Elddis Affinity 550- 2017 Adria adora isonzo 613 platinum

All excellent post. To my knowledge, no one got out of hand on the cracked rear panel thread,far from it . I found it to very informative and can honestly say if it wasn't for it I would most probably still not of found them. As I have stated before I found out the solution to the lower cracking through it. I am now keeping a eye on the top part now, just in case they go there. again would not of known only because the thread was still live. Like so many I was waiting for the people to give us feed back that was having the rear panel changed,as I am extremely anxious how such a major job turned out.

Yes we are all very frustrated,I for one had been made Redundant through ill health, after thirty years of loyalty to my company. And chose to invest nearly all of my redundancy into buying my van so my family had security in guaranteeing them holidays in the future. I thought I was buying a quality product but sadly it has not turned out that way. I have excepted a lot which is not right, inadequate heating,aerial and faults in the van. But the cracks were the last straw. I have know complaints from my dealer,far from it they have tried everything to resolve the situation,but I know there hands were tied by the Manufacturer

Trust me,it is the last thing I wished to do was to be having to come on the forum looking for the answers and showing my frustration. I have been posting many a complimentary comment about certain company's in the caravan industry,and will do so again when I receive what I class as good customer service. I will also post if I think I can help somebody in someway. Isn't that what Ct is about.

But when you finally get a reply from the head of customer services, from the manufacturer that you have been waiting months for something,no matter how small. And then the thread shut down like that's the final word on the subject as though he is a God like figure,and not having any chance to reply. Even if it was just to say thank you. Its ridiculous. It's meant to be a forum,able to comment on other peoples post.

And finally,I was totally disgusted at some peoples response, including a moderators,to a Ct member being that upset at the way he felt the forum was going. To be that frustrated and upset that he felt he had to leave, as he thought he could not give input to the problems he was having without being ridiculed or warned,is a sad indictment of the forum, not the member in my opinion. Scoobz.

Interesting development for me. After I sent my SoGA letter to the dealer earlier in the week, I have them coming out today to inspect the caravan. I am not really sure why. All I want them to do is take the thing (pity that I refer to my caravan that way, but that is the way I now feel) away and repair the list of faults. However, saying that, any action is welcome right now and I will keep you updated. .. assuming I am not banished to the Archipelago Cyberspace in the meantime! :unsure:

All excellent post. To my knowledge, no one got out of hand on the cracked rear panel thread,far from it . I found it to very informative and can honestly say if it wasn't for it I would most probably still not of found them. As I have stated before I found out the solution to the lower cracking through it. I am now keeping a eye on the top part now, just in case they go there. again would not of known only because the thread was still live. Like so many I was waiting for the people to give us feed back that was having the rear panel changed,as I am extremely anxious how such a major job turned out.

Yes we are all very frustrated,I for one had been made Redundant through ill health, after thirty years of loyalty to my company. And chose to invest nearly all of my redundancy into buying my van so my family had security in guaranteeing them holidays in the future. I thought I was buying a quality product but sadly it has not turned out that way. I have excepted a lot which is not right, inadequate heating,aerial and faults in the van. But the cracks were the last straw. I have know complaints from my dealer,far from it they have tried everything to resolve the situation,but I know there hands were tied by the Manufacturer

Trust me,it is the last thing I wished to do was to be having to come on the forum looking for the answers and showing my frustration. I have been posting many a complimentary comment about certain company's in the caravan industry,and will do so again when I receive what I class as good customer service. I will also post if I think I can help somebody in someway. Isn't that what Ct is about.

But when you finally get a reply from the head of customer services, from the manufacturer that you have been waiting months for something,no matter how small. And then the thread shut down like that's the final word on the subject as though he is a God like figure,and not having any chance to reply. Even if it was just to say thank you. Its ridiculous. It's meant to be a forum,able to comment on other peoples post.

And finally,I was totally disgusted at some peoples response, including a moderators,to a Ct member being that upset at the way he felt the forum was going. To be that frustrated and upset that he felt he had to leave, as he thought he could not give input to the problems he was having without being ridiculed or warned,is a sad indictment of the forum, not the member in my opinion. Scoobz.

Excellent Post :goodpost:

Luckily we are all different

Yeah Scoobs. Bang on! :goodpost:

Not all of us are in the position to just cut our losses and get rid of the van. Like you, finances mean that this was supposed to last us some considerable time. It is not looking that way. I have bought the caravan version of Window Millennium Edition, all bells, whistles and promises. How long did that last??

I sent a SOGA letter to dealer after 8 months of buck passing - within a week my caravan was on its way back to factory for repair. It may have been a coincidence but next time I have a problem I will be sending another SOGA letter and hopefully cut out the months of stress and anxiety.

Excellent post Scoobz and sums up my thoughts exactly. I am very disappointed in CT for locking the cracked panel thread. I really don't see the point of the forum if we cannot discuss these things.

I have seen far more contentious threads in the other boards which don't seem to have the same rules applied.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Just as a matter of interest, wasn't there a law passed recently which absolved forums or website owners from litigation if defamatory stuff was posted on their site? The people raising the litigation had to pursue the poster. Please confirm. Thanks.

I posted the same comment in the past Delta but was told this is not true although judging from far worse posts on the land rover forums I am on other forums believe it to be true ;)

Just as a matter of interest, wasn't there a law passed recently which absolved forums or website owners from litigation if defamatory stuff was posted on their site? The people raising the litigation had to pursue the poster. Please confirm. Thanks.

The Act you're referring to is The Defamation Act 2013. http://www. legislation. gov. uk/ukpga/2013/26/section/5/enacted

Clause 5 specifically covers websites position on defamation and states that the site can be absovled from responsibility if it can and will provide contact details to the claimant. Given CT doesn't hold our names, addresses, contact telephone numbers, etc this defense would fail and CT could, and possibly would, be held liable.

I just posted on this legal issue in another thread here

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.