Roof Lights, Cleaning

cher129

Hi all, Weather permitting. id like to remove both my large roof light and small one over the bed to give them a dam good clean where you cant get at them from above or below. Mine are the horizontal slide type, probably common to all years and models, BUT has anyone, for any reason had to remove the perspex slide and is it a difficult job. Instructions would be handy if possible.
thanks

If you know what make they are you could try the manufacturer's website to get the installation instructions and then just follow them in reverse

If you know what make they are you could try the manufacturer's website to get the installation instructions and then just follow them in reverse

Ahhh but theres the rub Dave, havent a clue what make they are, Unless while im away and up on the roof, i can take a looksy to see if theyre labeled, but if i needed any particular tools i was hoping to pin this down before going away on Friday, BUT by the weather weve got at home as i type, ill be lucky to get out the door let alone up on the roof.

ahh haaaa this looks promicing

http://www. hobbyparts. org. uk/index. php?route=product/product&path=64_80&product_id=54

Hmmmm not much if anything that suggests the plastic alone can be removed ?? maybe its not removable without taking the whole window out. ...NOT ON, could open a huge can of worms, guess its the fingers under the edge as far as possible againremitop_installationsmallpdf. com. pdf

Hi all, Weather permitting. id like to remove both my large roof light and small one over the bed to give them a dam good clean where you cant get at them from above or below. Mine are the horizontal slide type, probably common to all years and models, BUT has anyone, for any reason had to remove the perspex slide and is it a difficult job. Instructions would be handy if possible.

thanks

The only part that comes off easily ( a bit of elbow grease ) is the whole inside frame with blind/fly screen in one unit, it is held in place by half a dozen push sockets .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

I tried taking my large Heki roof light out to clean, it was a nightmare to refit due to the gas struts. I have since cleaned them using a long handled brush from the side of the van, on a platform.

Another thing to try is a small ladder inside the van under the roof light, it gives you more reach, although this won't work on the one over the bed. Don't walk on the roof of the van.

Edited by JohnEarny

• 2 weeks later...

A large bottle cleaning brush helps get to the parts fingers can't reach and of course you can walk on the roof of a Hobby, just don't forget the crampons for the bit at the front, LOL :D .

Brit escapee to France 15 years ago
2001 BMW 530D SE Touring x 1 Manual & 1 Automatic, 1993 BMW 520i SE Touring

1983 Citroen Mehari, 1986 Acapulco 56 Motorhome on a Citroen C25 chassis, 2003 Hobby 540 UFe & 1980 Sprite Alpine C

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.