Awning Door Lamp

Has anyone fitted the new style led awning lamp as a replacement for the incandescent bulb fitting? I'm assuming the holes behind the existing lamp are quite small and would be covered up.

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

I just replaced my incandescent (halogen) bulb with a direct replacement LED.

Just remember that LEDs need stabilised voltage so if your lighting circuit (12V) is stabilised (I don't know of any caravan lighting circuits that are) then you can safely buy the cheap LEDs that are available.

However if your circuits are not stabilised then you may be replacing LEDs every time you switch anything on that circuit.

Best to buy LEDs with built-in stabiliser (which are more expensive) so that they will be immune to any surge in circuits and will last forever(?)

Leisure power (www. leisurepower. co. uk) have a very comprehensive range and are very helpful with guidance / advice.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

scotta, if you mean the over door strip light that bends at the corners ( note the technical decription!) then yes i fitted one for a friend but left the original one on as well, took the power from the original to the new over door one so it came on with the alarm then linked the old one up with a switch and fitted an led bulb so when he has an awning up there is more light, easy enough to run the power cable ( quite thin two core ) along the top of the door fly screen then drill through and fit, makes a big difference and doesnt look odd as the original light was between the door and front side window, hope this helps, jim ps no mention of bulges cracks or splits were included in the above statement :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D the new solid construction 2013 elddis aspire 255 has replaced a 2008 jeep grand cherokee 3. 0 crd overland being chased by a 2011 elddis crusader super sirocco,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, after four elddis caravans it made sence to buy an aspire

I converted my Buccaneer Caravel to LED lighting 18 months ago. Since then I have never had to resort to back-up power supply - I am amazed at the difference.

When on "serviced" pitches, I will make full use of facilities but we often rally on basic fields and used to have to resort to back-up battery, 60Watt solar panel or portable genny.

Since the conversion I have never needed to use back-up facilities. On one occasion going for 10 days (it was summer so use of lights much less)

My Bessacarr Cameo has not been converted and I find that I cannot go beyond 3 days without need for back-up even though it has twin 110amp batterries.

Pete

Take out the halogen bulb and put in a 25w LED (stabilised up to 15v) with a bayonet adptor, plenty of light.

IMG_1804.jpg

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

For Scotta's caravan, he won't need the bayonet adaptor because his 'van is fitted with G4 bulbs. Direct replacement LEDs will be type Lxx-SD-G4 fiiting (the xx indicates the number of LEDs in the lamp and will vary with the size and output from the lamp.

Pete

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.