#1 paulh

paulh

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:06 PM

Hi all
I'm thinking of buying a freeview box for the caravan and have noticed that some of them have a separate power supply to run them.
Does anyone know what the usual voltage is on the output side is, as I want to find one with a 12v input if possible so that I can use from the battery without using an inverter.
Any particular makes/models?

#2 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:42 PM

Hi all
I'm thinking of buying a freeview box for the caravan and have noticed that some of them have a separate power supply to run them.
Does anyone know what the usual voltage is on the output side is, as I want to find one with a 12v input if possible so that I can use from the battery without using an inverter.
Any particular makes/models?

Try looking at this unit. It runs from 240V mains using a 12V DC plug-top power supply. If you cut the two core lead from the plug-top, a connection to match your 12V caravan outlet can be substituted to supply the unit directly (no inverter is then needed). Remember to ensure the correct polarity.
Gordon.

Attached File  Freeview_Sagem58.jpg   1.89KB   39 downloads
Sagem ITD58
Features: Digitally interactive. Digital text. DVB subtitles. Auto set up / scans for new channels. Now and next electronic programme guide.
Outputs: 1 x SCART, RF loopthrough
Available for £29.99 from Argos (Cat no: 532/0390)

#3 Malt

Malt

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:The wife & kids, aviation, van & toys!

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:45 PM

Attached File  Freeview_Sagem58.jpg   1.89KB   39 downloads
Sagem ITD58
Features: Digitally interactive. Digital text. DVB subtitles. Auto set up / scans for new channels. Now and next electronic programme guide.
Outputs: 1 x SCART, RF loopthrough
Available for £29.99 from Argos (Cat no: 532/0390)

Nice box the Sagem, small light & work well.
We sold a few before the supermarkets got hold of them, a lot better than some of the C**p out on the street.
Mal

#4 bspks

bspks

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Interests:Caravan rallying, TV, Movies, Gadgets

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:03 PM

I also have one of these (Sagem ITD 58UK) & it works fine from the caravan 12V battery supply.
It seems quite a sensitive unit & I use it with a cheap & cheerful 10 element pole mounting "touring aerial".
Throughout a year of rallying weekends I only found one location where no channels could be received with this combination, and about three with a reduced range of channels.
Also it only draws a maximum of 500mA (1/2 an amp) from the battery.
You do, however, need to make up your own 12V power supply lead and the unit has no modulator so cannot be connected to the aerial socket of the TV.
You must use the scart connector to get a picture from this box.

#5 RogerN

RogerN

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

Also use one of these and it works well. I use it with the normal Status aerial.

Found that I had to ensure that the leads were not bunched up behind the TV as this caused interferance. Now ensure that it sits as far away from the TV as I can get it.

Roger

#6 mark/jayne

mark/jayne

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Badminton ,, Caravan Holidays

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:45 PM

Also use one of these and it works well. I use it with the normal Status aerial.

Found that I had to ensure that the leads were not bunched up behind the TV as this caused interferance. Now ensure that it sits as far away from the TV as I can get it.

Roger

After reading about the sagem free view box last night , i too bought 1 today, plugged it straight into my normal Status aerial, pressed ok then all the programs came in clear as a bell , well impressed.

now ive got too decide what am going too do with my 2 sky boxes and dishes

:rolleyes: :lol:

alot less hassle

cheers everybody for your thoughts on this

mark

#7 mark70

mark70

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:41 PM

After reading about the sagem free view box last night , i too bought 1 today, plugged it straight into my normal Status aerial, pressed ok then all the programs came in clear as a bell , well impressed.

now ive got too decide what am going too do with my 2 sky boxes and dishes

:rolleyes: :lol:

alot less hassle

cheers everybody for your thoughts on this

mark

Have you got it working on 12v Mark? If so where did you get the lead from?

Thinking of getting one myself

#8 Paul_B

Paul_B

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,450 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Keeping Traditional Poultry
    Swilling Grilling & Chilling

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

Hi Mark,

is this the lead Posted Image

#9 mark70

mark70

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

Hi Mark,
is this the lead

Yep - you just need to check the size I think it said on the Maplins site 2.5mm internal 5.5mm external

#10 Audiman

Audiman

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:54 PM

probably a daft question but do they work in France?

Cheers

#11 tupper

tupper

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

Just bought a Sagem ITD61 Twin Scart Set Top Box from Argos for £ 29.99.

Will try it out this weekend at West Ayton.

532/0699 cat number

#12 Malt

Malt

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:49 AM

probably a daft question but do they work in France?

Cheers

No, not unless the French have upgraded yet.
Mal

#13 xetronella

xetronella

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:30 PM

Various EU countries are playing with DVB (freevew posh name), but bear in mind you are limited to the same sort of ranges as here in the UK. If your main transmitter is say 25 miles away, fine, but to get UK TV abroad you need to use SKY/satellite. :)

So in Spain you will get Spanish TV on the freeview box, in Germany, German TV on the freeview box and so on. But France is a different matter all to-gether. For some reason only known to the land of "instant riot" and "let's burn a British wagon", they use a different TV system to the majority of the rest of Europe. B)

Techie details apart, it's called SECAM, and basically you need a French telly to get French TV in France, a UK telly won't hack it. Some more details on website and references to David Sullivan's excellent SKY/satellite advice site at the xetronella TV help pages

Hope this helps a bit

mel

#14 JimC

JimC

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Course fishing,
    Ice Hockey

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:51 PM

[After reading about the sagem free view box last night , i too bought 1 today, plugged it straight into my normal Status aerial, pressed ok then all the programs came in clear as a bell , well impressed.

mark
[/quote]

That's very interesting, I was wondering what quality you can get from a Freeview box plus Status as we want to use that system and get rid of the directional aerial we currently use. Does anyone else use the same idea.

Jim

#15 Malt

Malt

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:37 PM

Various EU countries are playing with DVB (freevew posh name), but bear in mind you are limited to the same sort of ranges as here in the UK. If your main transmitter is say 25 miles away, fine, but to get UK TV abroad you need to use SKY/satellite. :)

So in Spain you will get Spanish TV on the freeview box, in Germany, German TV on the freeview box and so on. But France is a different matter all to-gether. For some reason only known to the land of "instant riot" and "let's burn a British wagon", they use a different TV system to the majority of the rest of Europe. B)

Techie details apart, it's called SECAM, and basically you need a French telly to get French TV in France, a UK telly won't hack it. Some more details on website and references to David Sullivan's excellent SKY/satellite advice site at the xetronella TV help pages

Hope this helps a bit

mel

Secam will work on a UK TV but will only give you black & white pictures unless you have a multi standard TV, they also use the VHF band as well as UHF so you may get some channels & not others. They also use different sound carriers so you may get vision & no sound. The very popular Panasonic 10" (now finished but it was the caravaners choice) was fully multi standard in the mid 90s. Some of the cheaper LCDs will also tune in to foreign TV as they are mass made for all of Europe. If the "tuning menu" in the TV lists "VHF" then it stands a chance you will have a multi standard TV. Most of the TVs sold in France will do Secam & PAL.... Easy eh..?
As far as I am aware... the DVB standard doesn't use Secam, all of the equipment we use uses COFDM converters to a European standard & will be listed as DVB compliant. I will find out if the French are using different versions & advise.
Regardless of all of that....... the French mainly use Satellite as a distribution network for the terrestrial channels as France is so large TV antenna coverage is poor. The national broadcasters transmit from a satellite a 7 degrees east in analogue & digital.
Got a little carried aware there...too much information... sorry!
HOWEVER....... if you want to watch English TV abroad... get a dish! :D
Mal

#16 Jones the Spanner

Jones the Spanner

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Cooking. Chilling out.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:04 AM

O.K. you've talked me into it. Went and bought a Segam ITD61 yesterday. I normally borrow my daughter's set top box but the Segam is about a quarter of the size and only weighs 0.4kg. Set it up last night on the drive and guess what? two sad old farts lying on the caravan bed watching the shopping channel. What fun were going to have next week in Cheddar!! Can't wait.

#17 StuRox

StuRox

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

For all those who are limited on space, or want a different alternative, we went for the scart socket type freeview, and this works a treat, and saves on boxes littered everywhere.

Picked ours up from Makro for £30.00...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 bspks

bspks

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Interests:Caravan rallying, TV, Movies, Gadgets

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

You will find that the French digital tv system (called TNT) uses the DVB standard as well.
Any MODERN freeview box will work provided there is a suitable signal.
I stress modern because there is a different data rate, without going into technicalities we use 2K and they use 8K. There is some speculation that we may change from 2K to 8K after analogue shutdown when the signal power can be increased. Therefore all modern Freeview type boxes, as oppposed to the early OnDigital types, are designed to work on both data rates.
The output of the box will be PAL as the SECAM standard only applies to analogue broadcast signals and most French TVs accept PAL input via scart as even the French have to accept DVDs in the PAL standard, Secam ones don't exist!
The French TNT system has only been operational for about 18 months so there are still large areas (particularly rural ones) with no coverage and as pointed out earlier in the thread the programmes will be in the French language.

#19 thelonegroover

thelonegroover

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Running, Walking, Crawling, Drinking not necessarily in that order.

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:08 AM

For all those who are limited on space, or want a different alternative, we went for the scart socket type freeview, and this works a treat, and saves on boxes littered everywhere.

Picked ours up from Makro for £30.00...

Hi Stu,

You like your Kia then !

I notice one of the Pioneer pictures has 'Caution - image may appear reversed' does that mean they're not sure or sometimes its reversed sometimes not. Now that could be confusing.

#20 StuRox

StuRox

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:44 AM

Hi Stu,

You like your Kia then !

I notice one of the Pioneer pictures has 'Caution - image may appear reversed' does that mean they're not sure or sometimes its reversed sometimes not. Now that could be confusing.

Yup, love my Kia, but what gave you that idea :lol:

The Pioneer one is to do with my rear reversing camera's I have - the image is automatically reversed so that it looks like the image you see in your rear view mirror - and I suppose they have to put this warning on, as someone will assume the picture should be the otherway around if from a camera - if you know what I mean.

I have also installed a camera on the back of the 'van, which gives me a constant picture of whats behind me when I am driving, very handy indeed :D I have modified my bumper guard to have 2 phono connections, so I just plug these in from my 'van when hitched up and job done.

They are also infrared, so the image when parking in a pitch black CL site is great :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users