• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Kilian22

Kilian22

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Rugby Union, Cars, our new Van!

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hi- anyone suggest a good awning for a seasonal pitch? Would ideally like to keep it at around £600 mark as it will be our 1st seasonal pitch so pitch fees are enough :-)

Cheers

#2 alison01326

alison01326

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Walking, geocaching, leisurely cycling, being outside

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

We inherited an Outdoor Revolution New Brunswick awning with our second hand caravan, and although we use it for touring we have found out that it is marketed as a "residential awning" and is designed to withstand more than a "touring awning".

It's definitely heavyweight and whilst I have nothing to compare it to, and also nothing to report on long term use (the longest it's been up is two weeks), it might be worth looking into.  I also have no idea of cost.

Although common sense tells us to change it for something which weighs less, we really like it (especially as it has a proper front door and zip on covers for all of the windows).

#3 Livi

Livi

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

We have a Dorema porch awning which is advertised as being suitable for seasonal use, and it certainly feels heavy duty material, but again we have no experience of it being up long term. We  had a Tio Family full size awning which served us well for the 15 years we had our previous 'van, including 3 years seasonal use. It was still in good, leak free condition when we sold it on with our 'van.

Before making any purchase have you checked with the site that they allow awnings to stay erected. More and more sites are tightening up on this for safety/insurance reasons.

#4 henrypartridge

henrypartridge

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:Pub CLs, walking my dog, real ale and CURRY
  • Caravan:Bailey Autograph 740 motorhome

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

Bradcot Residencia, made for exactly that purpose.

#5 beegee

beegee

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

My choice would be 1-2-TRIO, especially an acrylic one.

Build quality and materials were magnificent, but they do have a habit of NOT fading whatever the weather......

I rate 'em more highly than even Isabella.

N.B. I am not referring to "Trio Sport" awnings. They don't seem to be in the same class.

Rgds, Bob.

#6 madasmad

madasmad

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Hi- anyone suggest a good awning for a seasonal pitch? Would ideally like to keep it at around £600 mark as it will be our 1st seasonal pitch so pitch fees are enough :-)
Cheers

Is it worth looking for a second hand one? £600 should buy you quite a lot. I bought an Inaca 1000cm awning that looked brand new for £300 off eBay. I believe Inaca are often used for seasonal pitches along with Isabella.

#7 Kilian22

Kilian22

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thanks guys! Do you think buying off eBay is ok? I am kind of nervous as I would not really know what I was buying...

#8 gravon42

gravon42

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:cars, caravans, DIY, cats
  • Towcar:Land Rover Freelander 2
  • Caravan:Elddis Crusader Hurricane

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Try and buy one off ebay local. That way you can check it out first. I have been lucky, as I have

recently bought an immaculate one off ebay cheaper than an older one I bought last year.

#9 bluenose1940

bluenose1940

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Photography Fishing Snooker walking caravanning
  • Towcar:Still looking for one!
  • Caravan:Sterling Europa 550

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Thanks guys! Do you think buying off eBay is ok? I am kind of nervous as I would not really know what I was buying...

I have purchased loads of stuff off eBay and have never had a problem.  Always look at the sellers feedback score and don't be afraid to contact them either.  I have often spoken on the phone with sellers to discuss in further detail.

Like most things you will always find a 'rogue' but if you take care you can often pick up a real bargain.

My wife has been looking at Dorema and has found a site selling them at really good prices.  When she comes back I will get the details for you.

Edited by bluenose1940, 15 August 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#10 bluenose1940

bluenose1940

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

P.S. my wife tells me it is Renishaw Caravans

We too are looking for a 'seasonal pitch' awning.

Click on this link     http://www.discountawnings.co.uk/

Hope this helps

#11 Kilian22

Kilian22

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

P.S. my wife tells me it is Renishaw Caravans

We too are looking for a 'seasonal pitch' awning.

Click on this link     http://www.discountawnings.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Thanks very much!!

#12 bluenose1940

bluenose1940

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks very much!!

Go onto the site and have a look at the 2013 Dorema Omega XL and then give them a call, the guy there is absolutely brilliant, really really helpful.  We have just been speaking to him now and will probably be buying this one at £593.00.  It not only has the necessary coating for weather purposes but it is also heavy duty, ideal for seasonal duty.

#13 henrypartridge

henrypartridge

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:Pub CLs, walking my dog, real ale and CURRY
  • Caravan:Bailey Autograph 740 motorhome

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Bradcot Residencia.

A must for all those who are lucky enough to enjoy that holiday retreat all season.  Whether you find yourself  pitched for a month or the entire season, strength in both canvas and frame is essential.  Our Residencia model is designed on the Classic, but manufactured using a super strong "Ten Cate Coated Polyester with PVA."  And if that's not enough, then it's unique Prenox 28mm Steel Frame with twin locking thumb screws and a Bradcot Tie Down Kit as standard, is sure to impress.

It's made to be left up permanently.  Not cheap of course but should be fit for purpose.

#14 Muddy90

Muddy90

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Land Rovers, fishing..

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

i was going to say.. go for a steel frame. Carbon fiber is great for touring/weight but I snapped one on our last trip in what i'd call medium wind.

& a really good tie down has to be worth it's weight.

My Issabella canvas is very robust.

#15 alison01326

alison01326

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Walking, geocaching, leisurely cycling, being outside

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Although we are very happy with our awning (Outdoor Revolution New Brunswick as mentioned above) I thought I'd browse all the other recommendations and it seems that it's only ours. the Inaca awnings, and one (or maybe two) of the Isabella awnings that have a dedicated front door.

Whilst we inherited our second hand awning with our second hand caravan, and probably would have settled for the "tripping over the side of the window" or "fidding about with the end of a double zip at the dark end of a tiring day" type of access to the awning, I wouldn't swap our awning for anything unless it too had a proper front door.

Our friends have a very nice awning, but access is through the side of the window panel, and as we holiday together we probably spend just as much time going in and out of their awning as we do ours.  Ours is so much easier to open and close, and with a child in and out 100 times an hour (and our friend's child as well) we really would recommend going for one with a front door.

#16 fielddivision

fielddivision

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 9 posts
  • Towcar:Hyundai Santa Fe 2013
  • Caravan:Abbey Cardinal 318

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

If its a seasonal a outdoor revolution isnt strong enough and you will need to take it down everytime you leave the site, try here http://www.doremafac...anasuperlux.php still have a few sizes left, I put my Dorema up in March and is still standing strong, the usual checks and tighting of the steel poles is about as much as I do

Edited by fielddivision, 15 August 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#17 Kilian22

Kilian22

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. decided to not put the van on seasonal until maybe march or april next year as we have decided to move house first. This unfortunately means the van will not get much use while we are planning and saving etc.

cheers

Kilian

#18 RoaldJordan

RoaldJordan

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Camper awnings are best for the Seasonal Pitch. They expand your living space and provide shade on sunny days and a dry area on wet days. You can sit under the awning with your favorite drink and watch the sunset, or you could use the space under the awning for extra storage for bikes and other gear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users