#1 stevieread

stevieread

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts
  • Towcar:Galaxy MK3 2.0 duratorq
  • Caravan:Lunar Quasar 546

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:00 am

Lots of room, good Torqy engine with plenty of pulling power. Returns very good MPG both with and without the caravan.

Click here to view the towcar review

#2 mario

mario

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:caravaning,enjoying nice uk towns ,gardening .
  • Towcar:ford galaxy
  • Caravan:bailey unicorn madrid

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:36 pm

galaxy 2.0 diesel auto ghia 2007,done many miles towing,totally reliable,great aerodynamic shape for towing,ive never had a moments concern with this vehicle,cant fault it.

#3 ancell

ancell

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Interests:caravanning travel

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:22 pm

My Galaxy has done 40000 plus miles in 2 years with me averaging 42.5 MPG. 

Nil faults to date not even a blown bulb!!

I have the 2.1 diesel 6 speed proper auto box.

It is much better to drive than my previous vehicle the 7 seat Citroen Picasso 7 seater and much more reliable.

I do find it a boring machine to drive with ancient analogue instruments which are just so much more difficult to read than the Citroens digital display.

Not impressed by the vague cruise control.

The reversing sensors do not work properly with the fixed tow bar!

Towed my Elddis Typhoon with ease now towing my Swift Challenger 540 equally effortlessly at gross 1500 Kilos.

#4 cockneychris

cockneychris

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:cars and now caravans funny enough.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:13 am

I disagree with stevieread on his comment about 'lots of room'. This car is cavernous, you could not wish for more room in a car its outstanding in that respect. I have a German Shepherd and the room in the rear of the car is far too large for her and I only have to put down the rear most third row of seats. This car is fantastic for getting young kids in and out of it as you can physically get in the car to do their straps up etc.

Stevies fuel consumption is spot on though. 

This car can tow most mid range caravans with ease. I have the 2.0 ltr diesel and I load it up for the holidays and fill all of the many compartments that run the length of the roof, as I said the dog in the back me and 4 passengers, and I tow a Bailey Bretagne 6 berth which I would say is also fully loaded with holiday stuff. The car pulls this lot along effortlessly although it is best not to run it in 6th gear as 5th is more than versatile for it and 6th is pushing the boundaries a bit. Cruise control with this lot is fine but as I say in 5th only. 

I do not know what Ancell is saying about the cruise control as when set it stays at that speed and well cruise control is cruise control. I dont think it is vague its either on or off thats they way they work.

This car so far (64000 miles) has been great. It is anything you want it to be (just like a lady of the night, ha!) its a car with car mpg its a minibus, its a sizeable van with all of the seats down. I dont find it boring to drive either as I was very impressed with the way it accelerates and you have to watch your top speed as you are up around 90 thinking you are doing 65.

I love it.

#5 Llew

Llew

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:Family, the dog, Rugby and caravanning
  • Towcar:2008 Honda CRV 2:2cdti EX
  • Caravan:2017 Sprite Dealer Special

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:10 pm

Why are you disagreeing with stevieread's comment about "lots of room"? because that's exactly what he is saying it has.

#6 cockneychris

cockneychris

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:26 pm

Tongue in cheek, I was exaggerating its brilliant.

#7 ancell

ancell

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:55 pm

I disagree with stevieread on his comment about 'lots of room'. This car is cavernous, you could not wish for more room in a car its outstanding in that respect. I have a German Shepherd and the room in the rear of the car is far too large for her and I only have to put down the rear most third row of seats. This car is fantastic for getting young kids in and out of it as you can physically get in the car to do their straps up etc.
Stevies fuel consumption is spot on though. 
This car can tow most mid range caravans with ease. I have the 2.0 ltr diesel and I load it up for the holidays and fill all of the many compartments that run the length of the roof, as I said the dog in the back me and 4 passengers, and I tow a Bailey Bretagne 6 berth which I would say is also fully loaded with holiday stuff. The car pulls this lot along effortlessly although it is best not to run it in 6th gear as 5th is more than versatile for it and 6th is pushing the boundaries a bit. Cruise control with this lot is fine but as I say in 5th only. 
I do not know what Ancell is saying about the cruise control as when set it stays at that speed and well cruise control is cruise control. I dont think it is vague its either on or off thats they way they work.
This car so far (64000 miles) has been great. It is anything you want it to be (just like a lady of the night, ha!) its a car with car mpg its a minibus, its a sizeable van with all of the seats down. I dont find it boring to drive either as I was very impressed with the way it accelerates and you have to watch your top speed as you are up around 90 thinking you are doing 65.
I love it.

Wandering cruise control.

Compared to

2016 Volvo 70 diesel
2008 Citroen Picasso Grand
2 litre diesel 2014 Citroen Picasso Grand 150 Hdi

my Galaxy wandered around the set speed by up to 3 mph-when you factor in a speedo that would not look out of place in a pre WW2 vehicle driving through miles of road works eg A1M M60 M61 M62 M6 M1 M8 its a pain in the posterior!

Ok the Volvo is just as medieval speedo reading wise-but-at least it holds its speed!

Having driven state of the art machinery-ie its sooo easy to drive a monkey could drive it- like my present 2014 Citroen Picasso why can Ford not get up to date?
Its not difficult-eg put a digital readout where the driver can see it-unfortunately its so clear even my built in speed controller-The Wife can read it!
In my Citroen when you set the cruise to 50 MPH the digital readout stays rock solid on 50 unlike the Galaxy.
Ok the Citroen has not been the most reliable vehicle after 30000 miles but technically its light years ahead of the now fleet car Galaxy.
In my opinion based on 60000 miles from new in the Galaxy 60000 miles in my first Picasso from new and 40000 in my present Picasso from new.
Its looking like a new Volvo 60 XC in June.
To quote the RAC man as he trailered my collapsed serpentine belt tensioner Picasso away"get one of them mate( rental 2016 2litre diesel Volvo V70)-I have never recovered one of them!"

#8 cockneychris

cockneychris

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:28 am

Mmm! interesting as my Galaxy runs at the speed that its set for as did my Discovery and the Bmw before it. Did you have an auto I do not know if that would make a difference in variation of speed but the Discovery was an auto and that was ok. I'm not really able to give you any words of wisdom on that one but the RAC guy seems to have hit the nail on the head.

#9 ancell

ancell

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:00 pm

My Galaxy was a proper auto transmission complete with old fashioned gearstick.
I much prefer the paddle shift manual option on the steering wheel and column auto shift on the Picasso it's just so much easier to use-perhaps because my column shift three speed Ford Consul was my intro to column gear change.

I agree about the Beemer my diesel straight six auto diesel series five was one of the best continental touring cars for me.
Clocked before I purchased it-in classic Beemer style-perhaps 200000 miles-well maintained-I put another 100000 miles on it-sadly turbo blew soon after selling and it was scrapped for parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users